Pulley swap tune?

Hourigan218

Established Member
I have to ask cuz I don't know much about the new 20 but a friend just added a 2.85 pulley a jlt cold air and res delete and said he did not need a tune. I know the cold air and res delete probably not. But a smaller pulley swap i figure would need a tune.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Does it drive fine? I mean stock ecu tune should be able to compensate for it. It won’t make the best power. But it’ll do fine. I had my 2014 gt500 drop the tune and I drove around without knowing for a week.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I thought I remembered reading that Ford Engineers left room in the factory tune knowing guys would be doing those mods

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The factory ECU is now speed density/MAP sensor so CAI is no tune needed. For the pulley, I’d personally do a tune but the computer will allow for a percentage of additional airflow before shutting down the party.
2.85 is a pulley on the bigger size, so it may be fine and compensate.
I’d stick to a big name shop familiar with these cars like Lund and PBD.
-J

Hourigan218

Established Member
Yes I agree. Just spoke to him again and he said that the 2.9 pulley came from PBD and adds about 2 psi (40rwhp) and can be run w/o a tune but to get max hp and best results a tune would be best. He says he does not want to void the warranty with a tune but I again disagreed with him saying a pulley change would void it as well.

stutter

eat me
Established Member
Pulley change would not void because if engine got hurt, you could swap it back and ford wouldn’t know because the computer wouldn’t show the battery was disconnected

BOD89LX

Established Member
Pulley change would not void because if engine got hurt, you could swap it back and ford wouldn’t know because the computer wouldn’t show the battery was disconnected
Ford may be able to detect if the pulley has been swapped, they can pull the data logs and see that the max boost pressure is higher than what the stock pulley is capable of. Not sure on the 2020’s but Ford uses some type of paint Mark or something similar to be able to tell if the pulley has been removed and replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread