pulley's for the '95

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
i need some advice on what brand of pulley's for the my '95 S/C Cobra. High quality and best hp gains are what i need of course, and i'm not partial to a certain brand. I just want to know what will get me the most hp. i know there's pretty many different kinds out there so if anyone has some opinions based on personal experience, let me know. Thanks.

Redsnk95

Established Member
The 94/95 Cobras already has a slightly smalller crank pulley. The underdrive pulleys that you can buy are a little smaller. I didn't pick up much with them. All the brands are the same size, so it doesn't really matter what set you go with. I'm from houston, so I am partial to ASP Racing, and their pullies.

Troy

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
if i should go with something like Steeda, March, or ASP brand pulleys, what kind of difference in hp would i be looking at? and since the car has a blower is there a different kind to get that's works better with a blower or not?

Redsnk95

Established Member
You saying your 95 already has a blower? In that case then you can't get underdrive pulleys. For example, if you have a Vortech, the crank pulley is a one piece two pulley set-up, the water pump pulley is smaller. You have no need for the under drive pulleys and you can use them anyways.

Troy

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
the S/C is a ProCharger and the previous owner who installed it said the pulleys can be changed to get a little more horse out of it. he didn't do that because he still drove it to work everyday and it still got 22mpg, and he siad the switch in pulleys wouldn't get as good gas mileage. He works at Summit Racing so i'm assuming he knows his stuff. But i dunno, i'll try and do some more research on the matter, you might be right though.

Redsnk95

Established Member
Well the procharger uses one belt for everything. Your probably going to make less boost if you go to a smaller crank pulley. Honeslty I would do anything.

Troy

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
if a had the choice i wouldn't have had a ProCharger put in, i would rather have an ATI or Vortech. But it's in and i saved 3 Grand by buying a Cobra with one already in so i'll take what i can get i guess. the pulleys were going to be one of the last engine mods so if i'm satisfied with the power output when the time comes i'll look back into the matter.

thanks for the info Redsnk95.

Redsnk95

Established Member
I'm sure I could find plenty of things for you the change if I had a full modifications list. And just FYI...ATI is Procharger. Accesible Technologies Incorporated makes the Procharger. But I agree...Vortech is the way to go in my opinion.

Troy

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
blegh!

i know NOTHING about blowers and i HATE THAT!!! :gt:

i've gotta go :read: some helpful material.

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by Redsnk95
All the brands are the same size, so it doesn't really matter what set you go with.
Troy
Not really... there may be some that have the same underdriven ratio, but there are differences from one to another... Examp: My BBK's v.s. a buddies MAC's... they were different... mine having a bigger alt. pully than the Mac's...

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Originally posted by Colt .45
He was probably talking about replacing the supercharger pully.
:::smacks forehead::: yep, you're right. I was 1/2 awake replying to that early this morning.
thnx

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
actually the underdrive pulleys. the previous owner said he was going to but never did, but it will help to get new ones. He works at Summit Racing so i would think he knows his stuff.

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
heheh nope. nice and direct now; will I get a hp increase if a get some underdrive pulleys?

lol, how 'bout that?

sorry about this guys

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
A: yes.
Now "how much" will vary on each car and combination. Never believe the manufacture's(sp) claims of course.

SVTnv

The original Dr. Evil
Established Member
that's good news, now regarding what brand to go with will be a matter of opinion. thanks again

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
Now... the UD's will make your car run a little hotter, and might be a slight drain on your charging system at idle... just a heads up.

XCELLR8

Established Member
Water pump pulley

Expanding the discussion on pulleys. I recently purchase some used underdrive pulleys for my '95 Cobra. The underdrive crank pulley was smaller than stock- makes sense - the belt assembly will turn fewer inches for each rotation of the crank. The alternator pulley was slightly larger than stock - make sense - it will take more inches of belt assembly movement to turn the alternator one time. But the water pump pulley was HUGE. Too big to fit without the belt hitting the idler pulley. :??:

Does anyone know what the diameter of the underdrive water pump pulley should be?

SVT X 2

I C U
Established Member
What brand are they??
Alot of times you have to get a new belt w/UD's...

The larger water pump pulley is the reason for the higher running temps... it would be my recommendation to any SN95 owners adding UD's, to at least do the manual high-speed fan mod... it does WONDERS when you can hit that fan on whenever you like!

\\Tim

Users who are viewing this thread