Putting car up for sale soon

bull3441

Established Member
I will be putting my car up for sale in a few days. I need to organize all my receipts etc first. I can't get the car to pass inspection here in NY and I'm tired of spending $ trying to pass. The car has 2 not ready codes for EGR and CAT. So if you know someone who wants a built GT500 send them my way. The L&M motor has under 900 miles on here. $18k spent on the engine and I can't pass emissions by 1 not ready code :nonono:

bull3441

Established Member
Just put slip on cats just for inspection and once it's done slip a test pipe back on.
I've spent over $1k trying to get this to pass. NY is one of the toughest states on emissions. You don't understand, I'm not in the same category as 95%+ of GT500 owners. I have a big cam that pulls a lot of vacuum and will not let the EGR ready. The EGR must ready before the CAT will clear.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Just hook up a vacuum canister, pass, remove vacuum canister...

That or, do you have any family out of state? Register the car in their state if you can. Inspection laws aren't enforceable out of state or on out of state vehicles.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Yeah, your reaching now. So what do you want to replace it with. There is always a way if you put your mind to it. Hook up an electric vaccum pump just for inspection. Heck, some people ride around catless and still pass inspection:banana:

Bulldogger

Established Member
I will be putting my car up for sale in a few days. I need to organize all my receipts etc first. I can't get the car to pass inspection here in NY and I'm tired of spending $ trying to pass. The car has 2 not ready codes for EGR and CAT. So if you know someone who wants a built GT500 send them my way. The L&M motor has under 900 miles on here. $18k spent on the engine and I can't pass emissions by 1 not ready code :nonono:

Are you friends with Kevin Appell (spelling ?) I think we spoke about your issue's last night at Riverhead car show.

bull3441

Established Member
Yeah, your reaching now. So what do you want to replace it with. There is always a way if you put your mind to it. Hook up an electric vaccum pump just for inspection. Heck, some people ride around catless and still pass inspection:banana:
That's been discussed several times. We are going to try that tomorrow. Even if I get the car to pass I've had my fill with it. No plans for a replacement, buying a new house. After we sign for the house then I'll look for something. The car actually drives great for having a big cam and gets decent milage on the highway.

Last edited:

fullboogie

Established Member
Well that makes sense. Sounds like you, like many of us in the past, upped the ante a little too much and ended up with a finicky little priss of a car. Been there and done that many times, and it takes the fun out of things.

Good luck with your new house, but keep your eyes on another car in the near future.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
GLWS if you go that route.

This is why I have kept my car at its current level. Just full bolt on's and a tune/pulley. Still makes it fun as hell to drive, and is still very street-able and can still WAX 95% of the cars out there :)

bull3441

Established Member
Well that makes sense. Sounds like you, like many of us in the past, upped the ante a little too much and ended up with a finicky little priss of a car. Been there and done that many times, and it takes the fun out of things.

Good luck with your new house, but keep your eyes on another car in the near future.
I wasn't expecting the power the car makes. I said if the car can walk out with the same power as it came in with(640whp) I'd be happy. I did the cams as a way to bleed boost and make some power. Next thing I know, Hey it made 779whp @ 15psi on pump :lol1: It's like having a hot girlfriend who is annoying, one day she doesn't seem hot anymore and it's time to move on.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Is there no way to change the tune in the car to trick the PCM into displaying it as ready?

I know in my car the readiness statuses will never pass unless I go into the tune and manually set them to read "ready". Is that something not available in Ford PCMs?

bull3441

Established Member
GLWS if you go that route.

This is why I have kept my car at its current level. Just full bolt on's and a tune/pulley. Still makes it fun as hell to drive, and is still very street-able and can still WAX 95% of the cars out there :)
Most fun I had with the car was with the stock blower and full bolt ons.

bull3441

Established Member
Is there no way to change the tune in the car to trick the PCM into displaying it as ready?

I know in my car the readiness statuses will never pass unless I go into the tune and manually set them to read "ready". Is that something not available in Ford PCMs?
You can't force a ready, but you can turn off the cel's and still pass readiness. I think if I had the car retuned local it could pass. I pulled my Lund tune with the HP tuner and see my car is going into open loop at a very low throttle %. I imagine this is what's preventing the CAT from readiness. I have LT's and hi/flo's but the O2's are set to factory, I think I'm flowing too much air and too rich fuel for factory setting. I'm think with more $ and time invested it may pass, but it's time to walk away. If this was a FLA car then or another emissions free state, then I'd keep the car a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread