Putting the Terminator on a diet

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Heres an idea for a sticky thread,If anyone has done anything to lighten their Terminator,everything from removing unneeded items to replacing parts with lightweight items,ie,K-members,control arms,removing sound deadener ect,post your ideas and weights if possible, I really think we could shed at least 500lbs from these things,that would be an awesome improvement in performance.

What do you think??

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
03redfirevert. said:
Heres an idea for a sticky thread,If anyone has done anything to lighten their Terminator,everything from removing unneeded items to replacing parts with lightweight items,ie,K-members,control arms,removing sound deadener ect,post your ideas and weights if possible, I really think we could shed at least 500lbs from these things,that would be an awesome improvement in performance.

What do you think??

There are many threads discussing this topic. Looks as though your car is already on a healthly diet with your tubular k-member, a-arms, coilovers, and SRA. Next thing you could address is the heavy stock seats. If your looking to save the most weight, you could buy a set of light weight aftermarket fronts seats and go with a rear seat delete kit. If you want to keep your rear seat, some manufacturers like Recaro make a seat that matches the stockers pretty closely, although for these, you probably wont save enough weight to justify the cost.

If your looking to save weight for the purpose of drag racing, your best bet would be to invest in a set of lite weight rims, front and rear, like the Bogarts I currently use. To save the most weight, run bias-ply tires, slicks and skinnies. Obviously these are not street legal tires, nor do I recommend using Bogarts on the street, but this will save you a fair amount of weight at the track.

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
awesome site Bob, I disagree though on the->>>

" As far as the IRS vs. solid axle debate, remember that the IRS weighs more, but it's a lot more unsprung weight, where a solid axle has a lot more sprung weight. Sprung is worse than unsprung, so just food for thought."

There is more sprung weight on the IRS,remember the chunk along with the large tubular brace are hanging on the body/chassis,therefore it is also sitting on the springs,therefore,it is sprung weight,the sra's weight all sits on the tires,meaning unsprung,not trying to be a smart a$$ just stating facts. :poke:

Last edited:

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
Does anyone know the weight difference between coupe and convertible off hand?

vipergts281

Established Member
Coupe is 3665 if I remember correctly.

The vert. is 3780 (according to what I have seen). So 115 pound difference.

Last edited:

AMP

SVT Dad X2
Established Member
:thumbsup:

I'm sure a lot of the parts we all use add quite a bit of weight too. (subframes for example). I wonder how much some of our cars can vary.

To those who have had their cars weighed, where do you typically find a place that can do it?

Cobrachic03

Established Member
wow these cars are pretty heavy, ive owned about 10 fox bodies before this car, so im not used to driving such a pig... i guess its worth the extra comfort the cobra provides... :-D

03redfirevert.

coyote eater
Established Member
Most any dragstrip should have scales.
I once lightened up my 90 GT,and what I found was that all of the jute,sound deadener ect through out the car weighed almost 100#,
as far as the seats go,I realy would like to keep them but man,them things are heavy,has anyone found seats that still look good, are comfortable and weigh less than the stockers.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A number of guys have replaced their stockers with nice aftermarket seats. More comfortable. More supportive with less body movement. Less weight. You'll have to try the Search, though. I don't have specific names. There are, though, a few good choices so keeping the stockers isn't necessarily all that important.

- Aj -

Established Member
If you can believe it, there is a company called Cobra that makse some really nice seats that work great in these cars and it has the name right on them. You can also try Sparco or Recaro seats, those are equally high in quality.

Bullitt4110

Established Member
About how much wieght is lost converting to solid axle? I have a solid axle and rear seat delete in my car for wieght loss. Also if you go solid axle you get a nice set of after market control arms like the Steeda aluminums which I have. They will lose a little, not much but every little bit helps.

Night Train

Established Member
our cars aren't that hard to lighten up if your willing to make some sacrifices. not everybody is a drag whore but if you want to focus on improving your quarter mile times, start with the boat anchor aka IRS!!! all the sprung/unsprung stuff can go down the toilet. fact is if your primary focus is drag racing the solid axle is lighter, stronger and more practical...PERIOD! you also have numerous suspension & wheel/tire combo's and configurations with the solid. my car weighs 3446lbs with a half tank of fuel and a 235lb driver. i have all of your basic deletes and light weight replacements, nothing special...no tricks. i see 22lbs of boost and my motor is 100% bone stock, valve covers never even been off...et's are in my sig :beer:

TEABG

Banned
03redfirevert. said:

What do you think??

If you will be able to shed 500 hundred pounds from the Cobra 3,665 curb weight. Your car would come in at 3,165. That is right near a new Z06 weight :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread