Q for anyone that done FRPP headers

PJM99

Established Member
Did you or would you use the provided bolts and gaskets? Any reccomendation if not?

Thanks,

fms-m-9430-p51_w.jpg

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
here is a cheap answer for you...

go get some 1" long header bolts, the ones supplied with the headers are 3/4" long, use a lock washer under the head of each bolt, put some red loctite on the threads...use this with a felpro 1415 gasket and you will not need to re-tighten them....they won't back out and they will be good for years.....i've done them that way since the 80's hundreds of times! hope this helps you out...hermann :beer:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
I use summit header bolts. They are serrated under the bolt head to keep them in place. I lost nearly all the FRPP bolts over about 20k miles

SVT Fun

Established Member
Ford supplies all that is needed to install the headers EXCEPT red loctite. The gaskets contained in the box with the headers are second to none. Easy to slip on with the two bolts in either end of the heads as well.
Always, always, always check header bolts when checking fluids under the hood (water, oil). No excuse for loosing header bolts. Loosing header bolts is a sure sign an individual isn't checking the oil and water levels regularly in the car. Check the levels of these at the bare minimum once a week. Almost impossible to check the oil without checking the driver's side header bolts. Doesn't take that long to walk to the passenger and take a gander either...

End of diatribe...

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
SVT Fun said:
Ford supplies all that is needed to install the headers EXCEPT red loctite. The gaskets contained in the box with the headers are second to none. Easy to slip on with the two bolts in either end of the heads as well.
Always, always, always check header bolts when checking fluids under the hood (water, oil). No excuse for loosing header bolts. Loosing header bolts is a sure sign an individual isn't checking the oil and water levels regularly in the car. Check the levels of these at the bare minimum once a week. Almost impossible to check the oil without checking the driver's side header bolts. Doesn't take that long to walk to the passenger and take a gander either...

End of diatribe...

Check fluids once a week? That's pretty anal. I'm lucky if I check my fluids before I take a long trip.

Seriously though, you shouldn't have to check your header bolts all the time. Get the right bolt and you won't have to.

PJM99

Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Check fluids once a week? That's pretty anal. I'm lucky if I check my fluids before I take a long trip.

Seriously though, you shouldn't have to check your header bolts all the time. Get the right bolt and you won't have to.

I was looking into the summit bolts too. how about the gaskets? FelPro?

Thanks,

unibager

Established Member
I will be the odd one out here, but loctite on headers? I have installed many sets of motorsport headers, and have never lost a single bolt. 1) antisieze the bolts. 2) get fel-pro gaskets. 3) upon install, equally torque all the bolts evenly, then run the car for a day and then once cool - loosen half turn and re-tighten. Repeat one last time, and they should be in for good. Also, when tightening, dont be a lightweight - tighten the bolts good with a standard wrench. This method has worked for me, and the gaskets dont leak, the bolts dont fall out, and the anti sieze helps the bolts from breaking should you want to remove them. Good luck, and I am sure the other guys have had good luck with their way too.

NEOH1

Established Member
unibager said:
I will be the odd one out here, but loctite on headers? I have installed many sets of motorsport headers, and have never lost a single bolt. 1) antisieze the bolts. 2) get fel-pro gaskets. 3) upon install, equally torque all the bolts evenly, then run the car for a day and then once cool - loosen half turn and re-tighten. Repeat one last time, and they should be in for good. Also, when tightening, dont be a lightweight - tighten the bolts good with a standard wrench. This method has worked for me, and the gaskets dont leak, the bolts dont fall out, and the anti sieze helps the bolts from breaking should you want to remove them. Good luck, and I am sure the other guys have had good luck with their way too.

This is what I'm going to do. Antisieze with Stage 8 stainless steel locking fasteners. I hate rusty bolts! Oh, and the Fel-Pro gaskets too!

SVT Fun

Established Member
unibager said:

With all due respect, header bolts seizing up in cast iron heads ?!?!?!?!
Aluminum heads? ----> Certainly. Thanks for the tip. Learn something everyday. Definitely adding anti-seize alongside loctite in the tool box. Also, do the fel-pro gaskets have the slotted ends?

unibager

Established Member
Yes, the fel-pro gaskets have slots in the ends. Also, as a former high performance mechanic/fabricator I have had my share of broken header bolts in iron heads. This occurs for a simple reason - rust. In aluminum heads the major concern is gawling - not siezing due to rust. Of course, like I said, I am sure that that there is more than one way to skin a cat; however, my method has worked on every install that I have done, and do not take credit for comming up with the idea - I was shown. By the way, one of the ways to eliminate loctite's effectiveness is by heat, it states this on the bottle for removal of the fastener. Good luck

91lxcoupe

NOTCH U
Established Member
I agree w/ unibager. I use ONLY felpro 1415 gaskets (yes, slotted at the ends) along w/ Mr. gasket header bolts (b/c my local parts store carries em) . I always put anti-sieze on my bolts also and re tighten after a heat cycle. I've had no troubles w/ em after many, many times of taking them off.
Good luck w/ it.

Users who are viewing this thread