question about 2014 gt500 6 piston brembo calipers

terminatethis

Established Member
i am in talks with someone and am about to pull the trigger on getting 6 piston brembo calipers off a 2014 gt500. my question is does it require only 15" rotors or would it work fine with 14" rotors?

96gt02

Established Member
Yes it requires 15" rotors, but just a heads up if you already have the 4 pistons its not much of upgrade for the money honestly.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I disagree to some extent. In my experience, I feel my car stops much better with the 15" rotors, but I also upgraded the rear rotors to 14" too. You won't notice much difference on the street, but in a situation where you would experience brake fade with the 4 piston Brembos and smaller rotors, you will notice the difference and will be glad you have them.

OP, you may need new brake lines to work with the calipers because the mounting point at the caliper is different. I'd get steel braided lines for the upgrade.

96gt02

Established Member
No doubt braking is slightly improved, but not worth the extra weight IMO.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You're better off getting the S550 PP Brembos which will fit on the S197 with 13-14 GT500 Rotors and new front brake lines. Pads will be bigger and pad selection will be greater.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You're better off getting the S550 PP Brembos which will fit on the S197 with 13-14 GT500 Rotors and new front brake lines. Pads will be bigger and pad selection will be greater.
Aesthetically it’s not a pretty caliper but that may improve with paint/powder.
Will the S550 just bolt up to the S197?
What mods necessary?
I always said I wouldn’t drop the brake performance on this car to fit drag tires, but I recently took off stock 5800 mile brakes for 6 piston 14” front/4 piston 12.3” rear Wildwood’s. Basically same as Super Snake kit (but smaller rear rotor).
Have nice 6-pot Brembos if needed.
-J

Attachments

• BEA2E5E2-F910-4015-A8BF-67F2F55C32B7.jpeg
    BEA2E5E2-F910-4015-A8BF-67F2F55C32B7.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 328
  • B84D1440-34DE-47E7-8AE6-CC89D6F69BFD.jpeg
    B84D1440-34DE-47E7-8AE6-CC89D6F69BFD.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 169A6354-05CF-40CB-A7C8-E8DFA37B3BA2.jpeg
    169A6354-05CF-40CB-A7C8-E8DFA37B3BA2.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 272

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought I'd throw this out there too. Full Tilt Boogie Racing has a complete kit to convert an S197 to the GT350 calipers and rotors. It uses these custom spacers to mount the caliper, which is also available separately. This would get you 15.5" rotors, but doesn't fit with Performance Pack wheels according to the website.

FT_9755B-S197_GT35_brake_conversion_bracket.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I like them but aren’t those GT350R calipers. Any other S550s with red Brembos?
I still have ‘14 GT500 brakes if someone is looking, just PM me?
-J

Cman01

hello
Established Member
S550 Bullitt Mustangs have those red Brembo calipers, GT350R calipers don't have that center retaining pin on the caliper.

Our 6 pot Brembos are exactly like the regular S550 Mustang PP1/PP2 except we have the gloss black finish whereas those Mustangs have the flat black/gray finish on the caliper.

Tony

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada

merkyworks

Established Member
GT350R calipers don't have that center retaining pin on the caliper.

This is correct, S550 GT PP 6 piston calipers have a removable center pin to allow the pads to be replaced without removing the caliper. GT350 6 piston calipers do not have a center pin but instead has a rigid center bridge, my guess is this helps to reduce caliper flex under high brake loads. You have to remove the caliper to change out pads with these so that is why you see aftermarket stud kits for these calipers. So easy way to spot S550 GT PP 6 piston calipers Vs GT350 6 piston calipers is the removable center pin.
pad4.JPG

Our 6 pot Brembos are exactly like the regular S550 Mustang PP1/PP2 except we have the gloss black finish whereas those Mustangs have the flat black/gray finish on the caliper.

If you are inferring the 13-14 GT500 6 piston calipers are the same as the S550 GT PP 6 piston calipers this is not true. While they are both OEM brembo 6 piston calipers that have removable center pins, they do not accept the same brake pad. The S550 GT PP 6 piston calipers use the GT350 pad backing plate which is bigger than the 13-14 GT500 6 piston caliper pad backing plate, which makes the two calipers incompatible.
pad.JPG

As a side note here is the difference between the 07-12 GT500 4 piston brake pads and the S550 GT PP 6 brake pads. Yeah big difference!
pad2.JPG

Nope. 2015 Calipers... I had them powdercoated.

Read the link, pads are huge.

Huge brake upgrade for S197 chassis

Parts list:
15" S550 6 Piston Brembo Upgrade Parts List

These are two great threads with so much information, very informative read for anyone wanting to do a good budget brake upgrade.

Edit:
Also for those wondering how you can easily spot the difference between 13-14 GT500 6 piston calipers and S550 GT PP 6 piston calipers. The GT500's have piston outlines on the bottom section of the calipers were as the S550 GT PP's are filled in and smooth.
pad5.JPG

Last edited:

Totalpkg

Established Member
Cleveland,OH, USA or Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I didn't really compare the original to the new set up. I did the upgrade more for aesthetics, larger rotors and calipers to fill the wheel space. The pedal is firm and I dont notice a big difference in pedal travel other than the fact that the pads are thick and new, the pedal travel is shorter for that reason.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I didn't really compare the original to the new set up. I did the upgrade more for aesthetics, larger rotors and calipers to fill the wheel space. The pedal is firm and I dont notice a big difference in pedal travel other than the fact that the pads are thick and new, the pedal travel is shorter for that reason.

Do you have a GT500 from an earlier year? If you have a 13/14 car your rotors wouldn't be larger since those S550 PP1/PP2 calipers use 15" rotors and that is the diameter the Trinity cars come with front rotor wise.

@merkyworks, ok I see the difference in pads between our cars and the S550 PP1/PP2 ones. It looks like the pads are longer in length for the S550 but the width of the pads would have to be the same as our cars since they use the same diameter rotors. There would be a slight gain in heat dispersal but I don't think that slight improvement is worth changing out Trinity calipers to these ones. Are they also thicker new vs. Trinity pads new?

Does someone know if the actual physical size of the S550 front calipers is larger than stock 6 pot Brembo calipers? What about the piston diameters? I ask only because I'm not a huge fan of modding brake parts since everything is matched up properly from the factory. I had read that whole thread about these calipers on a S197 car (Shelby or otherwise) and the consensus is that your pedal feel and/or travel could change from factory, unless all these parts are matched up properly I would leave them alone (changing rotors, pads, fluids is fine in my book but putting different calipers, master cylinders to try and get better braking can be a disaster waiting to happen).

Our stock 6 pot Brembos work just fine, changing them out to add S550 PP1/PP2 calipers or GT350R calipers isn't something I'm comfortable doing. MO.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a GT500 from an earlier year? If you have a 13/14 car your rotors wouldn't be larger since those S550 PP1/PP2 calipers use 15" rotors and that is the diameter the Trinity cars come with front rotor wise.

@merkyworks, ok I see the difference in pads between our cars and the S550 PP1/PP2 ones. It looks like the pads are longer in length for the S550 but the width of the pads would have to be the same as our cars since they use the same diameter rotors. There would be a slight gain in heat dispersal but I don't think that slight improvement is worth changing out Trinity calipers to these ones. Are they also thicker new vs. Trinity pads new?

Does someone know if the actual physical size of the S550 front calipers is larger than stock 6 pot Brembo calipers? What about the piston diameters? I ask only because I'm not a huge fan of modding brake parts since everything is matched up properly from the factory. I had read that whole thread about these calipers on a S197 car (Shelby or otherwise) and the consensus is that your pedal feel and/or travel could change from factory, unless all these parts are matched up properly I would leave them alone (changing rotors, pads, fluids is fine in my book but putting different calipers, master cylinders to try and get better braking can be a disaster waiting to happen).

Our stock 6 pot Brembos work just fine, changing them out to add S550 PP1/PP2 calipers or GT350R calipers isn't something I'm comfortable doing. MO.
That's my thoughts on it as well. Had I not already converted to 13-14 calipers and rotors, I might be inclined to use the later caliper. I don't see a need to chase this mod any further, unless I went GT350 brake hardware.

Another observation is, if you can fit a larger pad in roughly the same size caliper, you have to be giving up some fluid storage capacity within the caliper. I'm not sure that's a good thing either.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Probably not good, but for most people that just street drive with the odd track run it should be ok. The true track guys will be going through brake fluid like water so the hydraulics will be pretty fresh at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread