Question about CA Smog for 04 Cobra

jrakes88

Established Member
So I moved to Northern CA from Central IL this winter. I bought the car fairly stock from a guy in Iowa when I lived in IL with plans to slowly mod it over the coming years. He had bought it from a dealer in GA only a few months before and had not done anything to the car yet.

Life changed and I got the opportunity to get out of the midwest for a bit, so I pounced on it. I have done nothing to the car other than change out the exhaust on it for a set of Stingers. It isn't pullied or tuned, has stock headers and h pipe, and a CAI. I went to get it smogged here as my IL registration expires at the end of the month, and failed the visual due to the intake. It has no CARB number on it or any kind of info on what kind it is or if it is compliant with CA emissions. All it says is "uniquetuning.net" which appears to be a shop that closed somewhere in SC.

-Does anyone know anything about this brand?
-Should I just try to track down a stock intake so I can pass inspection? Or should I just upgrade to a CARB compliant one and not waste my time with a stock one?
-Should I hop around Smog testing facilities and hope to find someone who will pass it anyways?
-or should I just register it in IL since I drive it maybe once a week and cross my fingers on the cops leaving me alone?

Any and all advice is welcomed!

Jordan

NastyNate420

Established Member
Find yourself a stock intake.
Might be more cost effective to jus buy an aftermarket one that is CARB legal.
I have the K&n intake that is carb legal on my mach
I HIGHJLY doubt the one you have is carb legal!

04cobruh

Established Member
As far as I know only the k&n intake will be CARB legal. Otherwise you are good to go. Newer cars (2000-up) get a visual exam and plug into the diagnostic port. No exhaust sniffer

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if you get one that is carb certified then you wont have to keep switching back to stock come smog time. some shops are more lenient than others on the visual. overall it sounds like you should be in good shape since that is the only mod you have.

i wouldnt recommend leaving it registered in another state if you have established residence here.

best of luck with it!

Users who are viewing this thread