question about headers

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
OK guys, I need a little help on this one. I have a 2014 ordered and hopefully on the way soon :) and I am trying to pick my exhaust set up. Here is the deal, I cant tune the car. I don't ant to risk voiding the whole powertrain warranty, so I need to stick with a setup that wont require a tune and can pass OBDII inspection. This means that I need to stick with my stock OEM cats. In order to give the car more volume, I fiured a set of headers would help. I don't care about performance gains as much as I do sound. I am leanng towards the catback system from Stainless Works. I would love to do their whole setup, but that uses high flow cats :(

Is there a set of headers out there that can bolt up to the stock OEM cats and H pipe that come with the 13-14 year models? The stainless works catback sounds great on youtube, I would like to give it more volume and take that deep growl to a deep roar. Thanks boys!

2k7gtcs

Established Member
In my limited experience and I have installed headers on a mod motor you will need a tune. The locations of the O2 sensors are always put further down stream with LT headers and this causes false readings that require them to be turned off in a tune.

Frankly if it were me I would just get an off-road h pipe and simply put it on after I pass inspection and then put teh stock one back on before inspection.

Not sure if an offroad h requires a tune though.

As far as headers the only headers I know that can work with a stock tune and stock mid pipe are shorty headers which gain next to nothing and probably aren't even available for this 5.8 motor.

I suggest talking to Van at Revan Racing for getting the answers you need.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Yes an offroad pipe or a mid pipe that has high flo cats reuires a tune. I was hoping that a set of shorty headers would give the exhaust some volume, but still llow the widebands to compensate and not need a tune. I'm looking into headers for the sound, not for the performance gain. Looks like I may have to just stick wit a catback :-/

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I think the stock catback sounds great on these cars. If you want more volume just push the gas a little harder!

I agree with you, but with the OP too. The stock setup sounds good. What sucks is that just about anything that gives the car the volume I'm looking for ruins the tone of the car. Headers and/or midpipes all give the car a very flatulent sound to me. I've yet to be able to hear them in person though, just on the internet here, so I'm still holding hope. :lol1:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I think there was a guy here that ran an off road pipe with o2 eliminators and no tune.
I personally love the factory exhaust if I were just doing minimal mods I think an o/r hpipe and stock mufflers would be great.
-J

TORQJNKY

I think there was a guy here that ran an off road pipe with o2 eliminators and no tune.
I personally love the factory exhaust if I were just doing minimal mods I think an o/r hpipe and stock mufflers would be great.
-J

I agree. As soon as Stainless Works finishes their offroad H-pipe, I'll be using it in place of the X-pipe using the stock mufflers.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

I agree. As soon as Stainless Works finishes their offroad H-pipe done, I'll be using it in place of the X-pipe and stock mufflers.

I've been telling Stainless Works they were losing market share because they don't offer an H Pipe option for the last three years. Maybe they are working on it but I'm glad I didn't hold my breath!

I don't recommend aftermarket cats with long tubes, PERIOD.

None of the aftermarket cats have undergone the extensive testing that the OEM cat has gone through. Then consider COT protection. COT Protection is engineered for the cats in a specific location up near the OEM collector and not down on the H or X Pipe. The COT Strategies on our cars are not designed for the aftermarket location.

TORQJNKY

I've been telling Stainless Works they were losing market share because they don't offer an H Pipe option for the last three years. Maybe they are working on it but I'm glad I didn't hold my breath!

I don't recommend aftermarket cats with long tubes, PERIOD.

None of the aftermarket cats have undergone the extensive testing that the OEM cat has gone through. Then consider COT protection. COT Protection is engineered for the cats in a specific location up near the OEM collector and not down on the H or X Pipe. The COT Strategies on our cars are not designed for the aftermarket location.

Van, I spoke to SW on the phone about 2 weeks ago about an H-pipe and they told me 4-6 weeks. I'll be waiting with cash in hand as soon as they are available.

Van@RevanRacing

Van, I spoke to SW on the phone about 2 weeks ago about an H-pipe and they told me 4-6 weeks. I'll be waiting with cash in hand as soon as they are available.

I've got the MRT that was on my 2013 sitting in the garage. I'm going straight to ARH Long Tubes with the 2014.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If SW would ever call me back, they told me they were going to build the H on my car. I'm less than 2 hrs from them and will be doing headers to tips if they call.
-J

TORQJNKY

If SW would ever call me back, they told me they were going to build the H on my car. I'm less than 2 hrs from them and will be doing headers to tips if they call.
-J

Your car must have been the one they were talking about. They said they were getting one in to work with. Call them and tell them you are on your way and they better get hot!!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I'd go with a SW if they made an H too, however I'll never change my mufflers until someone copies the same tip cut as the OEM mufflers. They look perfect like that! Gorgeous. Not matching that angle cut is a deal breaker for me.

TORQJNKY

I'd go with a SW if they made an H too, however I'll never change my mufflers until someone copies the same tip cut as the OEM mufflers. They look perfect like that! Gorgeous. Not matching that angle cut is a deal breaker for me.

I agree. The stock mufflers look great and sound pretty dang awesome with headers. An aftermarket H-pipe with the headers would make it perfect for my ear at least.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
Ugh! Inwoukd bite the bullet and do the SW full system if they offered an H pipe. I just don't like the sound of an X. If they release it, I will buy that whole system and I don't even have the car yet lol

Will a setup with long tubes lower the boost from the TVS in any way?

impactblue

Established Member
If your motor blew up with headers on it they would deny warranty work because if untuned it can missfire and run the car lean...if you tune it they will blame the tune. I had muffler deletes. Then muffler deletes with headers and high flow cats. Then muffler delete with no cats. Now im at headers Offroad x and stock mufflers.

Buy the magnaflow muffler delete. It doesnt change the sound. It just makes it louder. And will.not void your warranty. What made the tone you like is the stock cats

Also an axle back can give you a little weekend project. Just a few hours. Headers your either going to pay $1300 for install or lay under the car on jackstands and cut your arms to pieces for 3 days

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread