Question about sub compact tractors

My94GT

Established Member
The wife and I moved into our new home early this year and now as the weather is breaking we are looking to start some projects. I’m trying to decide if a sub compact tractor would be a stellar investment or just over kill for my needs.

Currently I’m looking at stuff like John Deere 1023E or Kabota BX series with a front loader and mower deck attachments.

We have a smaller yard to this size tractor at only 2 acres, but some of the planned projects include leveling out the majority of the back yard, a shed and large garden build, a deck build and in the next year a patio off the deck.

What I’m looking to see is if anyone owns something similar and how useful they have found it to be?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I will not live without one. But then again I have way more property and do sideline work.
They are not near as efficient for cutting grass as a zero turn but way more versatile. Yes, you will find a reason to use it for damn near everything.
The attachments add up quickly though so total cost isn't just the tractor.

As far as the 2 you listed,
John deere= Yanmar
Kabota= All Kabota engineered and built

John deere foot controls are side by side and easier IMO than Kabota's heal pedal for reverse.

John Deere Mower deck attaches and unhooks easier than Kabota.

Kabota Front end loader can come with the quick attach. Same quick attach that bobcat and all other skid steers use so attachments are all over the place.
John deere uses their own system and no one elses shit will fit it.

I have 2 John Deere tractors at the moment, both low hours and both have issues.
I looked at both of these recently as I need to replace my older Case/IH 235
I will be going Kabota most likely.

NY03SonicConv.

Established Member
I have owned my JD 750 for 30 yrs. Like STAMPEDE3 I wouldn't live without it. These machines are limited in what they can do. To level your property having fill dumped, then spreading it they can do. If you need to excavate one area and move it, you will need a backhoe attachment. Using the loader to skim is ok, but one root or rock will stop the machine and you will sit and spin. I've adapted a snowplow to fit and have a rear mount p.t.o. snowblower. My machine has ag tires, so no mower. A friend of mine has a 650 w/turf tires and a mower. It cuts very well, but its no zero turn. I payed 13k w/loader and backhoe for mine and have gotten every penny out of it. They are not cheep today,so you should make sure what your looking to buy can do what you want or go smaller garden tractor and rent for the bigger projects.

GodStang

Established Member
We have a Mahindra Tractor and use it very very often. We got it used from someone that bought it and never used it. Got the tractor and trailer combo at a reduced rate. I think it had 35 hours when we bought it. We have a bush hog, leveler, disker, back hoe, and post hole digger attachment. Makes putting down food plots at the deer club a breeze.

I highly recommend if you are getting one pick up a used one that someone got and never used. I see them all the time. Save a lot of money and if you end up not using it you can sell it at not much of a loss.

My94GT

Established Member
I’d likely get one with turf tires so I could cut the lawn as well. The JD I’m looking at I can find 2017s with front loader and mower deck for about 13k with under 20hours on them.

I know it’s a big jump in price but a good garden tractor is like 5k or more and they are still very limited to what they can do.

With the sub compact i could pick up an auger attachment to set up the deck foundation, moving dirt around the lawn with the front bucket , setting up the garden and so on. There just seems to be so many practical uses. Plus if I need to help my parents on their property I could do so as they have like 4-5 acres and it needs some work.

Ideally we would like to stay in our house long term but it depends how life goes with the garden and some smaller animals I look to pick up, at some point we may look to expand or pick up more property so I want to be mindful of future use.

My94GT

Established Member
We have a Mahindra Tractor and use it very very often. We got it used from someone that bought it and never used it. Got the tractor and trailer combo at a reduced rate. I think it had 35 hours when we bought it. We have a bush hog, leveler, disker, back hoe, and post hole digger attachment. Makes putting down food plots at the deer club a breeze.

I highly recommend if you are getting one pick up a used one that someone got and never used. I see them all the time. Save a lot of money and if you end up not using it you can sell it at not much of a loss.

Yea I couldn’t believe some of deals I’m seeing on used ones with super low miles. I live in Maryland but in Pennsylvania there seem to be killer deals so if I can’t work a good deal with a local John deer dealer I’ll gladly travel to save the cash.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I went through this same thing about 1.5 years ago. We built our custom home on 5.5 acres but the land is an old cattle pasture so it's pretty flat.

In the end, I couldn't justify getting a sub-compact and paying for attachments that I'd rarely use. I ended up going with a JD Z960M with a 72" deck since cutting grass was my main priority. I cut our entire 5.5 acres about twice a month and needed something that would do it quick.

2nalbg5.jpg

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I have six acres that I mow and I use a JD tractor. I wanted to get a zero turn mower, but my step dad was set on getting a tractor. I don't know the number of it, but it's around 24hp. Having a front end loader has been far more useful than I thought it would be, but I had to cut down a lot of trees and move other stuff around. I like the smaller tractor because it fits in a storage container and saves me the trouble and expense of building something out there to keep it in.

My94GT

Established Member
Don't overpay for JD or Kubota, look at Kioti or LS, very well built for less $$
The problem is locating a dealer. I’m walking distance from a JD dealer and Kubota dealer is about 30 min away do servicing or parts would be easy to attain.

I have heard great things about Kioti I just need to find somewhere reasonably close for service needs I’d think. Unless that’s really a non issue.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Industrial tires are ok for grass cutting. Turf tires are only an option if all you’re really going to do is cut grass. If you’re going to do a garden or any other dirt work at least get the industrials. No need for R1 ag tires.
Industrials are pretty much standard in the 1023 or BX series.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
Industrial tires are ok for grass cutting. Turf tires are only an option if all you’re really going to do is cut grass. If you’re going to do a garden or any other dirt work at least get the industrials. No need for R1 ag tires.
Industrials are pretty much standard in the 1023 or BX series.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Do I have to worry about the tires tearing up the grass? I’d prefer not to get turf tires as I plan to utilize this for more then just cutting duty.

In fact I’m debating not even getting a mower deck as for the price I could get more useful attachments instead and just but a small garden mower for like 700 bucks just for grass duty

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The R4 industrial tires are no where near as hard on grass as R1 Ag tires are. Hard turns may tear up a little but they aren't bad if it is dry.
When I priced the BX2360 last week it was only 1K more for the mower deck.
Saving 1K is not worth not having IMO

Last edited:

My94GT

Established Member
The R4 industrial tires are no where near as hard on grass as R1 Ag tires are. Hard turns may tear up a little but they aren't bad if it is dry.
When I priced the BX2360 last week it was only 1K more for the mower deck.
Saving 1K is not worth not having IMO
Very true, I did not realize it was that minimal a difference. The space it would save alone is worth it.

hockeylover86

Established Member
The problem is locating a dealer. I’m walking distance from a JD dealer and Kubota dealer is about 30 min away do servicing or parts would be easy to attain.

I have heard great things about Kioti I just need to find somewhere reasonably close for service needs I’d think. Unless that’s really a non issue.

If you go LS, they are the exact same tractors as New Holland and Case IH, just the LS has better loaders and lower price. Go stop by a Case IH dealer and look at the tag on the back of the tractor, it says LS Mtron, they are LS tractors with different graphics.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
Do I have to worry about the tires tearing up the grass? I’d prefer not to get turf tires as I plan to utilize this for more then just cutting duty.

The Tweels on my JD above will tear up my land if it's at all wet when doing zero turn maneuvers.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
B2400 Kubota owner here. No issues at 20 years old. They can do so much. The most impressive use is a box rake attachment. I have the woods loader attachment w/the kubota deck. As stated, the deck can be a pain the first couple times you take it on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
B2400 Kubota owner here. No issues at 20 years old. They can do so much. The most impressive use is a box rake attachment. I have the woods loader attachment w/the kubota deck. As stated, the deck can be a pain the first couple times you take it on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new ones are much easier.
It just so happens that the John Deere is easier than the Kabota.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have compared these 2 a lot.
John Deere is easier to hook and unhook both the loader and deck.
Honestly, both will be done seldom. Unless doing serious dirt work or garden most leave the deck on.
John Deere foot controls are more comfortable IMO to work in reverse. But how much time do you spend in reverse.
Everything else goes to Kabota, Gauges, loader controls, comfort, etc...
And even though the Kabota's deck is harder it still can be done in under 5 minutes.

There are many vids out there that will favor 1 or the other.
This one is from JD so you know it will make it look better but It does show just how easy it is.

Users who are viewing this thread