Question for all you Army guys

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
So i have a friend, we've been friends for a long time, probably 15yrs, but never really close because...he's in the Army, so he moves around, but he's now home for a couple of years. Here's the thing though - he's a Major now and I really don't know what that means. I mean I can google it, but that doesn't tell me the real story. Like when I ask him about things he's been doing or places he's been recently, all of his answers seem reserved and he doesn't really want to talk about it.

It's not a combat thing. He did a tour in Iraq during the invasion but he was never in anything too hairy. That was back when he had just got in. I remember he had no problem talking about that when he got home. But it seems as his rank has gone up he's taken on more of an attitude of not wanting to talk about it. He's an academic I guess is the best way to describe him, not really a "field" officer. He's spent several years teaching at West Point and is now working on his PhD.

I know you all don't know the guy, but maybe this is just what happens to career officers once they start getting some rank? I only have one other friend that was Army, he was enlisted and just did his 6yrs and got out. He wasn't a huge fan of the experience. He told me all the officers Captain or higher he knew were asses and he did his best to just avoid them.

Last edited:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So i have a friend, we've been friends for a long time, probably 15yrs, but never really close because...he's in the Army, so he moves around, but he's now home for a couple of years. Here's the thing though - he's a Major now and I really don't know what that means. I mean I can google it, but that doesn't tell me the real story. Like when I ask him about things he's been doing or places he's been recently, all of his answers seem reserved and he doesn't really want to talk about it. And it's not a combat thing. He did a tour in Iraq during the invasion but he was never in anything too hairy. That was back when he had just got in. I remember he had no problem talking about that when he got home. But it seems as his rank has gone up he's taken on more of an attitude of not wanting to talk about it. He's an academic I guess is the best way to describe him, not really a "field" officer. He's spent several years teaching at West Point and is now working on his PhD. I know you all don't know the guy, but maybe this is just what happens to career officers once they start getting some rank? I only have one other friend that was Army, he was enlisted and just did his 6yrs and got out. He wasn't a huge fan of the experience. He told me all the officers Captain or higher he knew were asses and he did his best to just avoid them.

I can tell you for certain that this is not correct although a typical assignment for a major can be very stressful. It's really not a fun job in most instances.

Sounds like he just doesn't want to talk about the military. I usually don't mind talking about my job but it also becomes very redundant.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I can tell you for certain that this is not correct although a typical assignment for a major can be very stressful. It's really not a fun job in most instances.

Sounds like he just doesn't want to talk about the military. I usually don't mind talking about my job but it also becomes very redundant.

Maybe that's part of it. I assume he still really likes it like he did 10yrs ago, but maybe he's sick of it but feels stuck.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Maybe that's part of it. I assume he still really likes it like he did 10yrs ago, but maybe he's sick of it but feels stuck.

He has invested a lot of time so getting out vs sticking with it to make at least O-5 and retire.

A typical O-4 position is usually a staff position or an executive officer. Long days at the office is typically what I see and like Matt said it can be rather stressful even when you are not going out into the field or the commander of a large amount of people.

He might not want to talk about it simply because he is burnt out and there isn't anything very "exciting" about his job.

Users who are viewing this thread