Question for avid runners

LUBaseball2

Established Member
I grew up playing sports all through high school, college and professionally. I never really was much into long distance running just more shorter interval type workouts. I'm 26 now and pretty much took the last 2 years off of any type of cardio and just lifted due to a knee injury. About a month ago I started a local class that works out outside and mixes a lot of running and body weight exercise together in local parks. It involves a lot of longer distance running between push ups pull ups abs and what not. Anyways I have developed a pain on the outside of my left leg and I'm wondering if it is from running more and if anyone has experienced it when they started running or if there is something you can do to help it. I think part of the problem is I went from 195lbs to 220lbs. I'm by no means fat at 6'2 I just think carrying the extra weight could have caused it.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
Does it on the outside of the knee? It band pain? Make sjre to stretch the outside of the leg. What i do is get on the floor like you are going to do a push up and then bring one leg all the way to the front lk,e you are going to sit in indian style position while keeping the other leg straight. This will stretch the it band that comes from the glutes all the way to the calf on the outside of the leg. Its a common pain from this tendon as it moves up and down the outside patella causing it to become inflammed.

Even if thats not the problem proper stretching will help with most problems.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
It's more below the knee.. almost right along the bone all the way down to the ankle. It doesn't feel like it's in the calf muscle at all

Hows your running technique? Running shoes? it band pain is commonly felt on the outside of the lower knee and you can feel it move up and down the bone if you place your hand there. When i had it there was no pain in the ankle though. Also after proper stretching give knee band a try and see if the pain goes away.
I must say the pain is sharp and will stop you in your tracks.

Also how far are you running?
Also what cbailey said. Pain in the shins. Better impact absorbtion shoes and strengthning

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
i had a similar thing going on a few years ago and my brother does now. for us its because our muscles were developing more on one side than the other so it was pulling the knee in a weird way. we had to do to physical therapy to learn how to stretch it to strengthen the other side.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Shin splints. Stop running on concrete.

Can it still be shin splints on the outter part of the leg. I always though shin splints were right down the shin.

Hows your running technique? Running shoes? it band pain is commonly felt on the outside of the lower knee and you can feel it move up and down the bone if you place your hand there. When i had it there was no pain in the ankle though. Also after proper stretching give knee band a try and see if the pain goes away.
I must say the pain is sharp and will stop you in your tracks.

Also how far are you running?
Also what cbailey said. Pain in the shins. Better impact absorbtion shoes and strengthning

My running technique I would say is normal nothing weird or crazy. I bought some brooks running shoes about 3 months ago. I would imagine doing some more stretching could help it out some. How much I have been running depends on the day. I have been working out M-F and running anywhere from 2-4 miles a day I would say

Too40gawlf

Banned
You're likely using shitty old shoes. Get a decent pair of running shoes. Nike Air Pegassus 29's work well for me and are pretty cheap at about $80 online.

Your shoes have a realistic lifespan of about 400 miles. After that they will lose support and cause knee and leg pain. There is a good chance decent shoes will alleviate your pain.

clbailey

Established Member
Solid advice here. The problem is stemming most likely from going from 0 running to 2 to 4 miles. Very common problem in military boot camps too. And yea the pain can radiate a bit to make it seem like something else.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I concur with 1, shitty running shoes. 2, going from 0 miles a week to however many you are doing. Every person runs differently and the way you pronate will vary greatly from person to person. For example, if you happen to be wearing a shoe designed for over pronation when you are a neutral runner then you will most likely injure yourself.

Sometimes having the right shoe for you doesn't solve the problem completely either. I'm a neutral runner but I also use custom insoles for my running shoes. Before I had the insoles I was running 35-40 miles a week and constantly battling shin splints. Once I got the custom insoles my shin splints went away and I was able to increase my weekly mileage to 40-50 without issue.

That leads to #2. You have to ease into running, especially on compact surfaces like concrete and asphalt. Try to avoid concrete as much as possible, asphalt is a better alternative but not by a lot. However there is a noticeable difference when you are running on concrete then transition to asphalt in the middle of a run. Running on concrete at times might be completely unavoidable (as it is for me) but if you slowly build your weekly mileage and take rest weeks every now and then (reduced mileage weeks) your body will adjust to the surfaces and your injuries will start to go away.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Oh and if you are experiencing shin splints get a bunch of ice cubes and slowly rub the ice directly on your shins for 10-20 minutes every day. That always helps get rid of my shin splints.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes that work for your body type and how you run/walk. They will set you up with the right shoe for the job.

I am 5'9 215 and I run 2-3 miles 3-4 days/week. Have run 4 10k's and 2 1/2 marathons and never any shin splints. Work on your form too, that's a big factor in making sure your body doesn't fall apart from running.

Best of luck!

Too40gawlf

Banned
Go to a running store and get fitted for a pair of shoes that work for your body type and how you run/walk. They will set you up with the right shoe for the job.

Ehh, in my opinion this will turn into the eventual waste of $200-300. The only reason a running store offers this service is to con you into buying overpriced shoes. You dont need $150+ shoes to run in an effective and safe manner. Go to the a normal shoe store and try on a few pair of different shoes. Pick the most lightest, most comfortable ones that seem to work and go for a few runs. If they work well, you've identified the type of shoe that works for you. If they dont, some stores have a return/exchange policy that will let you switch out shoes.

I am 5'9 215 and I run 2-3 miles 3-4 days/week. Have run 4 10k's and 2 1/2 marathons and never any shin splints. Work on your form too, that's a big factor in making sure your body doesn't fall apart from running.

Best of luck!

Im your size 5'10 220lbs (Im in a rest phase and have ballooned in weight - but will be ramping up distance to train for a marathon in October) and have run 1 marathon, numerous 1/2 marathons, a bunch of 15Ks, 10 milers, and countless 5ks. normally, I put in 100-125 miles a month and even more if Im training. Occasional pains are part of the price you pay for putting in decent distance. But good rest and sleep, heavy hydration, good intake of nutrients and knowing when to take a break for a few days goes a long way in preventing longterm injury. Knock on wood, so far all my major compnonents are in one piece.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ehh, in my opinion this will turn into the eventual waste of $200-300. The only reason a running store offers this service is to con you into buying overpriced shoes. You dont need $150+ shoes to run in an effective and safe manner. Go to the a normal shoe store and try on a few pair of different shoes. Pick the most lightest, most comfortable ones that seem to work and go for a few runs. If they work well, you've identified the type of shoe that works for you. If they dont, some stores have a return/exchange policy that will let you switch out shoes.

I disagree. If a person is a neutral runner like myself but picks a shoe for over pronation because it feels good at the time it can lead to injury. Knowing what shoe you 'should' be wearing is half the battle. I ran a marathon wearing the wrong shoe once and because of this I sustained a few different injuries that went away immediately once I put on the right shoe. As for getting suckered into buying $150+ shoes thats just sales. Like buying a car you have specific models that fit your needs, one that will get you there just fine, one that will get you there more comfortably and one that will get you there in style. The one you decide to spend your money on at the end of the day is on you but they all get you to the same place. So while there is a $150 shoe on the rack for your type of pronation, there is also a $60 one too.

OP, put your shoes on top of a table and look at them from the rear. You will see very clearly how the shoes wear. Depending on how you pronate will determine which side outside or inside wears faster. Or if you are neutral it will be pretty flat like the day you bought them because it wears very evenly across. Then flip them over and take a look at the front half of your shoe and notice the wear pattern. BTW good running form involves more of a mid foot strike vs a heel strike with relative even transition to your toes and pushing off just slightly more with your big toe and next toe over.

Last edited:

7.62x51

Established Member
Get a pair of running shoes. I would recommend NB Minimus. Sounds like you have shin splints, and they can potentially be very painful.

Stretch your calves before and after a run. Get in pushup position, cross your legs behind you (for each calf), and A-frame until you get a good stretch in both calves. Helps tremendously for the shin splints.

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
OP, put your shoes on top of a table and look at them from the rear. You will see very clearly how the shoes wear. Depending on how you pronate will determine which side outside or inside wears faster. Or if you are neutral it will be pretty flat like the day you bought them because it wears very evenly across. Then flip them over and take a look at the front half of your shoe and notice the wear pattern. BTW good running form involves more of a mid foot strike vs a heel strike with relative even transition to your toes and pushing off just slightly more with your big toe and next toe over.

Wear could be a little different if he uses them for other than running. I'm pretty neutral when running but work shoes are over pronated, but definitely agree with right shoe for the right style.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Wear could be a little different if he uses them for other than running. I'm pretty neutral when running but work shoes are over pronated, but definitely agree with right shoe for the right style.

Yea that's true. I have 2 pairs of running shoes to alternate with and one pair for the gym.

Which I also recommend. If you buy a shoe to run in, only use it for running.

LUBaseball2

Established Member
Op, why are you running? If you are getting into lifting, etc... 30 to 45 mins of fat burning pace hr is plenty.

I started a workout program that is run by a former Navy Seal so it's just a mix of running and other body weight physical training exercises. Normally I would never choose to run so I figured this would help me lose some of the extra weight I have put on.

http://www.sealteampt.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread