Question for LEO about "Modified Exhaust"

Status
Not open for further replies.

REPCobra10

Established Member
I was on my routine Sunday morning cruise today and I get pulled over and I'm thinking WTF. I wasn't speeding and I didn't do anything to justify being pulled over, so I thought. Anyways, he says do you know why I stopped you for, yada, yada, and I say no and ask why? He said you are not allowed to modify your factory exhaust system. It's not horribly loud or anything but you can hear it coming. I have never heard anything about this before and it is costing me $72.50. Is this true or was he just bored and wrote me a bogus ticket? Thanks. All take it easy.

CSD

Banned
Let's just say I would pull myself over for exhaust modifications. Is it a motor vehicle equipment violation, yes! Would I initiate a mv stop for that reason, sure. Would I write a summons for excessive muffler noise, 99% of the time I would not.

REPCobra10

Established Member
Ya, I thought he was just bored or having a bad day or something. Well, thanks for the info on it actually being a violation. I guess I can't fight it and I'll just pay the $72.50 and be done with it as it is a non-moving violation so no points assessed. I was just surprised because I drive by cops all the time and usually they just look at me and go on about their business and don't think twice about it, but not this one. Anyways, thanks again. Take it easy man.

bandit_48032

Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Author requested only L.E.O. responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

DEFYANT

Adm!nistrate This.....
Established Member
Exhaust noise may just be this P/Os pet-peeve. I know LEOs that just dont like certian things and make it their business to enforce a certian law on the books.

I would pay it and move on. Be glad you do not have to remove the exhaust.

my .02

Cochese

Twin Turbo V8
Established Member
Research your states laws and know them as well as you can regarding motor vehicle equipment. If your a sly bastard in my state, you can put your stock exhaust back on and challenge the citation in court. If your found not guilty, then you will hhave saved your 72 bucks. You will of course risk another citation from that officer/deputy/trooper if he sees you again, and you have put your aftermarket gear back on..

I wouldn't have written it in most circumstances, but I'm not him. It's typically pC for a stop and that's about it. An attitude ticket at most.

Good luck.

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
In NY

In NY V&T section 375.31 says that no one will modify an exhaust system to make it louder than what it was when it came from the factory.

Do I stop loud exhaust? Yes because it gives me an opportunity to have contact with someone and see if there is something a little more serious than SLP Loudmouths going on. Would I write... not unless you gave me an attitude. When I stop performance cars I ask about modifications after I'm sure there is no threat... it gives me more time to look around the car and I've met some really good people who have the same interests that I normally wouldn't meet from traffic stops.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Trooper4985

The Man
Established Member
vertcobra99 said:
if this is the case... how do flowmaster and other muffler companies get away with lines like 50 state legal... if in fact... modifying your car with their product is illegal

The same way the companies who make other equipment that is illegal for use on the highway... THEY PRINT IT ON THE BOX. These companies are in business to make money, not insure your car is in compliance with the state laws.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
*removed by moderator*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread