Question on why the GT350 is N/A instead of boosted

xenodragon

Established Member
Can someone politely explain to me why its better to have an N/A engine in this car? I honestly do not know, and am in a "discussion" with someone at work about it, who thinks if cars are not turbo or s/c they are not good enough. Compares everything to the GT-R or EVO and I just do not know how to answer.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
The car is built around a road coarse not drag racing.. N/A is always best. Longer life of engine and no heat to worry about from the SC

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
When you take a FI car to a track day and have to stop every 20minutes to cool down due to overheat induced limp mode, you will understand why NA is better.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
500-600 horsepower is about as much as street cars with good drivers can work with comfortably around the road course, which is what this car is built for. Most people, like myself, need far less than that for the road course so they don't kill themselves in the first lap.

If you can make the power NA, it's better. As these guys said, predictable and linear power delivery, less heat, longer engine life, more consistent performance lap after lap. If this guy is all about dyno numbers, he's probably not going to understand the point of this car and the like (Z28, Boss Laguna Seca). Dyno numbers and drag strip ETs will be the next GT500's forte.

xenodragon

Established Member
500-600 horsepower is about as much as street cars with good drivers can work with comfortably around the road course, which is what this car is built for. Most people, like myself, need far less than that for the road course so they don't kill themselves in the first lap.

If you can make the power NA, it's better. As these guys said, predictable and linear power delivery, less heat, longer engine life, more consistent performance lap after lap. If this guy is all about dyno numbers, he's probably not going to understand the point of this car and the like (Z28, Boss Laguna Seca). Dyno numbers and drag strip ETs will be the next GT500's forte.

Lets just say he has an EVO and its the best car in the world. Nothing can touch it from a stop, roll or track. I usually ignore, but I just didnt know what made the N/A engine better, but heat and predictable power sound like the answer.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I have an Evo...well, I am selling it to a guy on Thanksgiving. But, while it is a great car, I have to shut down after about 20 minutes of tracking. And from a stop, the EVO is not known for being a great dig racer... In know what I'm talking about. Tell your friend to quit being a ricer... ;-)

Picture of mine..

FrontFull-PS-White.jpg

Driversengine.jpg

04svtsnke

Established Member

Bingo. I wish everyone would understand this isn't the top dog mustang but the boss's replacement.

Mach828

Established Member
Bingo. I wish everyone would understand this isn't the top dog mustang but the boss's replacement.

Top dog is a matter of perspective. Is top dog just a dyno number?

This IS the top dog mustang in every aspect besides quarter mile ET and a dyno number.

Lemers

Established Member
Lets just say he has an EVO and its the best car in the world. Nothing can touch it from a stop, roll or track. I usually ignore, but I just didnt know what made the N/A engine better, but heat and predictable power sound like the answer.

In auto sports there are a lot of give and takes. Cars good at one type of racing aren't good for another. That's why there are pages of people debating and comparing all these cars.

But just for fun ask him if the Evi is so great then why is Mits ending there production?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
If this engine and suspension are as good as I hope, this will be the top dog Mustang for me. I'm one of those weird people who would rather have a Laguna Seca than a 13-14 GT500 though. I like NA and high-revving.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
In auto sports there are a lot of give and takes. Cars good at one type of racing aren't good for another. That's why there are pages of people debating and comparing all these cars.

But just for fun ask him if the Evi is so great then why is Mits ending there production?

They are ending the Lancer lineup for the next MY. There will most likely be another Evo after the Evo X. That is like asking why Ford killed the Cobra after 2004...

Lemers

Established Member
They are ending the Lancer lineup for the next MY. There will most likely be another Evo after the Evo X. That is like asking why Ford killed the Cobra after 2004...

Not sure I'm following your logic with the cobra, because it was a redesign and a rebadging of the SVT trim.

As for the Evo, since Mits is ending the Lancer line that includes the EVO. That doesn't mean that Mits doesn't reserve the right to call something else an Evolution, but right now Mits hasnt announced anything regarding the Evo continuing after this year.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Not sure I'm following your logic with the cobra, because it was a redesign and a rebadging of the SVT trim.

As for the Evo, since Mits is ending the Lancer line that includes the EVO. That doesn't mean that Mits doesn't reserve the right to call something else an Evolution, but right now Mits hasnt announced anything regarding the Evo continuing after this year.

The Evo has not always been a Lancer. The first 3 iterations were based off of the Galant. The Evo IV was the first Evo designed on the Lancer platform.

Exactly my point. Ford continued making a "Cobra" of sorts, but it was re-badged. That is the same thing that Mitsu will most likely do. It could be based off of something as odd as the Mirage, or even one of their larger cars.

Lemers

Established Member
I guess we will see if the label another car the Evolution, but I doubt it, seeing that Mits hasn't even be in rally racing for awhile.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
keep in mind that this car, and it's engine will be the basis for the GT350R and GT350S race cars that race in the continental tire sportscar challenge GS class and pirelli world challenge GTS class respectively. these classes are very restrictive, requiring the cars to run close to factory specs and components(unless someone throws a car that doesn't even fit within the class in, like GM and the Z28...). the boss 302 was 100% built around the CTSCC GS class, and the base GT350 should also fit pretty closely as well. this is part of the reason that the GT350 doesn't have carbon-ceramics, forced induction, a dual clutch trans, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread