Question: Xpel Ultimate & polarized sunglasses

nhs156

Established Member
Had this film applied several weeks ago, from arguably the best installer in Houston. They did a truly remarkable job.

I noticed, however, that I can see noticeable and uneven light and dark blotches in some placed of the film - especially on corners/curves, but not always. The film has been applied very smoothly, so it doesn't look like an installation issue. This is ONLY noticeable with polarized sunglasses - can't be seen with regular sunglasses or no sunglasses.

A quick Google search netted a handful of results where others have commented on the same effect with a variety of paint protection films. One post mentions that Xpel has explained it as their films are polarized and this is normal. It bugs me a little bit -to be honest. Where I see darker blotches it almost looks like the film is burnt. And where I see light colored blotches it looks like the film was applied on wax that wasn't polished completely or the water solution used was impure and left soap scum. Again, as soon as I take off my sunglasses, the visual imperfections disappear.

Thoughts? Has anyone experienced the same? I have not yet spoken to the installer or Xpel.

Edit: Note - I had Xpel Ultimate on my black M5 prior and never noticed any imperfections in the film, with or without sunglasses. That car was black. My GT500 is sterling gray. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Last edited:

kabooka

Established Member
I've experienced this as well, I don't think it's a problem, just the way the light is reflected through the film and seen with the glasses. idk, my guess.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
actually i noticed this on my windows before the tint was applied.
almost like there must be something on the factory window that gives light distortion on polarized glasses. mine seems more distinct towards the bottom of the window. but it was there w/o tint.

i spoke to my tint guy and he said certain types of the tint with metal alloy will create higher rainbow and artifacts. which i had on my last car, had rainbow look all over with my polarized glasses. but the more expensive tint didn't have it or create any more funky colors... but it was there to begin with on the base of my windows.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Its the glasses
Look at your cell phone with them on.
Freaky.
Just down right freaky.

Lowest_Frequenc

Established Member
Any film that is polarized will completely block light through a second film that is polarized 90s degrees from the first film.

For example, take two pairs of polarized sunglasses and hold them up to an eye. Remove one pair from your head and tilt it by 90 degrees. Whatever eye hole you're looking through will be completely black.

This is a normal effect :rolling:

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
Had this film applied several weeks ago, from arguably the best installer in Houston. They did a truly remarkable job.

I noticed, however, that I can see noticeable and uneven light and dark blotches in some placed of the film - especially on corners/curves, but not always. The film has been applied very smoothly, so it doesn't look like an installation issue. This is ONLY noticeable with polarized sunglasses - can't be seen with regular sunglasses or no sunglasses.

A quick Google search netted a handful of results where others have commented on the same effect with a variety of paint protection films. One post mentions that Xpel has explained it as their films are polarized and this is normal. It bugs me a little bit -to be honest. Where I see darker blotches it almost looks like the film is burnt. And where I see light colored blotches it looks like the film was applied on wax that wasn't polished completely or the water solution used was impure and left soap scum. Again, as soon as I take off my sunglasses, the visual imperfections disappear.

Thoughts? Has anyone experienced the same? I have not yet spoken to the installer or Xpel.

Edit: Note - I had Xpel Ultimate on my black M5 prior and never noticed any imperfections in the film, with or without sunglasses. That car was black. My GT500 is sterling gray. Not sure if that would make a difference.

I have the fix. Don't wear the glasses.

:beer:

nhs156

Established Member
Any film that is polarized will completely block light through a second film that is polarized 90s degrees from the first film.

For example, take two pairs of polarized sunglasses and hold them up to an eye. Remove one pair from your head and tilt it by 90 degrees. Whatever eye hole you're looking through will be completely black.

This is a normal effect :rolling:

But then why is the effect only visible in a couple of spots and inconsistent? The glass on many cars has the effect - consistently. As does a cell phone. But I only notice this on, say, 5-10% of the surface area of the car where Xpel is applied.

Lowest_Frequenc

Established Member
But then why is the effect only visible in a couple of spots and inconsistent? The glass on many cars has the effect - consistently. As does a cell phone. But I only notice this on, say, 5-10% of the surface area of the car where Xpel is applied.

Honestly? Sounds like imperfections when the film is produced. In my example, sunglasses always work. However, that film is such a small area to stay consistent to a certain angle of polarization. My educated guess would be that when the film is mass produced, the angle of polarization gets a little distorted.

At the end of the day, it truly does sound like a funny oddity. But it also doesn't sound like it impedes the performance of the film. I would not worry.

XPEL

Xpel

nhs156,

Windows and cell phone screens are largely flat and consistent. When film is applied it goes over a contoured surface and the film must be stretched and manipulated, causing it to refract light a little differently in certain areas.

Users who are viewing this thread