Questions about Dual Catch Cans

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I know this has been talked a lot about but I’m running dual JL Catch Cans (one on each side).

The driver side has caught some oil, passenger bone dry.

*I’m not running PCV valves*

I removed the blower and noticed quite a bit of fresh oil in the lower.

Me putting the new VMP Intercooler in- I don’t want it coated. So im thinking of removing everything and just running breathers. Should I have used the catch cans with PCV valves?

If you’re wondering I have done a compression test, lowest piston was 150 the highest was 175. I think that’s fine. Car made 830rwhp.

Should I go breathers or do I need PCV check valves?

View attachment 1753952

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03' White Snake

Established Member
Breathers make a mess. I ran them for 2 yrs and you would be amazed at the oil mist and mess in the engine bay from them. Brand new motor, went through 2 different filters trying to stop the mess. Tried K&N filters too.

You are better off with catch cans. If you run catch cans there is zero chance of oil getting into the intake. You need to plug the lower intake port, plug the PCV port on the blower inlet elbow, then run VC fittings and lines straight to the catch cans. No oil can be sucked into the intake anymore.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Breathers make a mess. I ran them for 2 yrs and you would be amazed at the oil mist and mess in the engine bay from them. Brand new motor, went through 2 different filters trying to stop the mess. Tried K&N filters too.

You are better off with catch cans. If you run catch cans there is zero chance of oil getting into the intake. You need to plug the lower intake port, plug the PCV port on the blower inlet elbow, then run VC fittings and lines straight to the catch cans. No oil can be sucked into the intake anymore.

Lower is plugged.

So do not connect the blower to the catch cans?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
No need for a catch can on the passenger side on these cars. You need a better catch can. I don't think JLT has changed their design and it wasn't that great when I ran one on my 01 Cobra.

I have a Bob's Motorsports can between the driver side valve cover and blower inlet. The bottom of the intake is plugged. When I pulled the blower to send it back to Whipple after 5k miles the intercooler was still clean.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
No need for a catch can on the passenger side on these cars. You need a better catch can. I don't think JLT has changed their design and it wasn't that great when I ran one on my 01 Cobra.

I have a Bob's Motorsports can between the driver side valve cover and blower inlet. The bottom of the intake is plugged. When I pulled the blower to send it back to Whipple after 5k miles the intercooler was still clean.

I ended up getting a motion raceworks unit. Will just run both sides to each port. Thoughts?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Lower is plugged.

So do not connect the blower to the catch cans?

No you do not want the blower hooked to the catch can. Just each VC. Instead of having breathers on each VC it is vented on the catch can. Make sure your catch can has internal baffles. Should cut down on oil vapors from the catch can. Keeps blower and intake completely separate from the oil.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
No you do not want the blower hooked to the catch can. Just each VC. Instead of having breathers on each VC it is vented on the catch can. Make sure your catch can has internal baffles. Should cut down on oil vapors from the catch can. Keeps blower and intake completely separate from the oil.

Well hell, that’s why I had a tremendous amount of fresh clean oil in my intake. Blower is literally sucking it like a straw. I got a new dual vented can on the way. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There are different types of catch cans. Models like the JLT and Bob's Motorsports are designed to go in line between the valve cover and intake. They're sealed and usually have some kind of medium inside to help catch oil vapors.

The Motion Raceworks you linked is a designed to vent to atmosphere. So you don't want that one hooked to the intake as it'll create a vacuum leak. As mentioned plug the supercharger and run the lines from the valve covers to it. You can run it to the fenderwell or behind the bumper to keep it out of the way.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
There are different types of catch cans. Models like the JLT and Bob's Motorsports are designed to go in line between the valve cover and intake. They're sealed and usually have some kind of medium inside to help catch oil vapors.

The Motion Raceworks you linked is a designed to vent to atmosphere. So you don't want that one hooked to the intake as it'll create a vacuum leak. As mentioned plug the supercharger and run the lines from the valve covers to it. You can run it to the fenderwell or behind the bumper to keep it out of the way.

Will do!

2003 Venomous

Established Member
I am wanting to beat this horse dead and then run over it....if using the Motion Raceworks (or any other catch can variant) I am tracking that the best option after much research and speaking with others is to run one line from DS VC to the catch can. Don't need to run a line from PS VC and can use a breather or JLT pre-filter; either way just vented to atmosphere.

For anyone with the Motion Raceworks, I would like to see where you ended up mounting it as this is the route I intend to take.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I have the lower plugged. I have both JLT catch cans hooked up like the instructions say. Nothing seems to be off. No vac leaks. ‍*shoulder shrug*

Attachments

• C2B56F5D-EE50-443D-8D50-44B83B55F353.jpeg
    C2B56F5D-EE50-443D-8D50-44B83B55F353.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 98

cajun cobra

Established Member
I am wanting to beat this horse dead and then run over it....if using the Motion Raceworks (or any other catch can variant) I am tracking that the best option after much research and speaking with others is to run one line from DS VC to the catch can. Don't need to run a line from PS VC and can use a breather or JLT pre-filter; either way just vented to atmosphere.

For anyone with the Motion Raceworks, I would like to see where you ended up mounting it as this is the route I intend to take.
I just installed one of these a few weeks ago. The DS fender well is where I finally settled on mounting it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220806-093136_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220806-093136_Gallery.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 89

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1757220View attachment 1757221View attachment 1757222
The motion racing stuff is too pretty to hide

I kick myself in the ass all the time for not running that same cover on the pass side.

I tried running the JLT on the pass side and as mentioned - it sucks. My procharger had all kinds of motor oil in it and the valve cover breather makes a mess.

What did you use to attach those lines to the valve cover on each side? I need to get a catch can and be done with it

olympic

Established Member
I kick myself in the ass all the time for not running that same cover on the pass side.

I tried running the JLT on the pass side and as mentioned - it sucks. My procharger had all kinds of motor oil in it and the valve cover breather makes a mess.

What did you use to attach those lines to the valve cover on each side? I need to get a catch can and be done with it

You can either have -AN fittings welded into the valve covers or get adapters that push in to the stock rubber grommets. MMR and Metco sell them.

Users who are viewing this thread