Questions about my recent gear swap

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
I just had a few quick questions about my recent gear swap (3.27's to 4.10's)

1. Will a SCT xcal tuner be able to reset my speedometer calibration,or do I have to get that "Speedcal" program??

2. After the 500 mile break in period (I am at 250 miles),what kind of gear oil do you recommend? the gears are FRPP 4.10's.

3. How difficult is it to change the rear end fluid on the IRS???

thanks !

- chris

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
1) Your Xcal can correct your speedo. You don't need the Speed Cal.

2) I used Royal Purple and had good luck with it. Plus it already has the friction modifier in it.

3) I've never changed out the gear oil in an IRS, but it doesn't look fun.

281CJ

Established Member
1. yes SCT can change it
2. I never had any break it, after 1 day of daily driving i took her to the track, and I have the same fluid in it that was used when the gears were done. Its not like breaking in an engine
3. no idea, I'm a solid.

omj

Established Member
I got my oil sucked out by a quick lube place. You definately want to do it once or twice. The oil was rife with shavings the first change and the next one was clean.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
with gears you dont need 500 miles of break in.
most people that know anything about about gears(like people that install them), just say to heat cycle them once or twice and then drive it normal.

i did a heat cycle on mine and drove normal after that with no issues.
20 min drive home, let it cool all the way down(over night) and then drove ti normal.

they are just like a motor, the most important part of break in is the first 20 miles.

Last edited:

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
Ok so Its safe to say that now I can actually "get on it" with the gears in?? But what about the shavings in the gear oil? Do you suggest I change the oil first and then get on it,or will it be fine with the oil thats currently in there.

Also,a question for you SCT guys : do you use the 2 step that came with your tuner,and what would you set your 2 step at for daily driving?

Last edited:

zPipes

Established Member
assuming you had them installed? how much was it for the installation. im getting some soon and i would prefer to do the swap myself but just to be thorough im curious

Boostlag

Darth Vader Status
Established Member
assuming you had them installed? how much was it for the installation. im getting some soon and i would prefer to do the swap myself but just to be thorough im curious

the place said if it was a normal 8.8 SRA rear end,it would have been 375. But they charged me 450 for install.

Just remember to factor these things in to the price on top of installation :

Gear oil
bearing kit
install kit
Gears
IRS Brace (not needed,but recommended)

the total price can easily reach 1000 dollars if you arent paying attention.

zPipes

Established Member
hey thanks man. see i was gonna just buy the gears, and swap. i need to search for info on what else i need to do because in my head i am going to just take things off, take the pumpkin apart, swap ring and pinion, and reassemble. Im sure its much more than that unfortunately

Users who are viewing this thread