Questions about RXT on 07-09 cars

PM-Performance

Established Member
So I sent it last night at a HIGHLY prepped dig spot and killed my Exedy Mach600 past the point of no return.
Im gonna get an RXT for the next one, but curious if people were opting for the 10-14 version or the 07-09 version?

Reason I ask is because I saw a video from Lethal talking about the 10-14 one being sprung hubs and having its own friction plate to separate from the stock flywheel.
Just curious what others are doing so I can make a more informed decision.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Call my buddy Steve at XClutch. He left Exedy and I love my XClutch for street/strip.
-J

KingCobra07

Traction is a virtue
Established Member
I think theyre pretty much the same, but the newer ones are spaced differently to utilize the different slave cylinders. I've got an 07 with an 07-09 RXT1200, 2014 trans, but 07 slave. 07-09 should come with a lightweight flywheel, but 10+ have a bolt on plate that goes onto your stock flywheel. So just an assumtion, but I'd say 07-09 would be less rotating mass.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I think theyre pretty much the same, but the newer ones are spaced differently to utilize the different slave cylinders. I've got an 07 with an 07-09 RXT1200, 2014 trans, but 07 slave. 07-09 should come with a lightweight flywheel, but 10+ have a bolt on plate that goes onto your stock flywheel. So just an assumtion, but I'd say 07-09 would be less rotating mass.

Thanks, the video made it seem like the 07-09 would need to pay for a flywheel where the 10-14 comes with that friction plate. They did mention about the slave though being tall or short dependant on year purchsed

The main concern I have is that the 07-09 is not sprung discs and the 10-14 are.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
RXT is a pure bolt-on unit. Flywheel is just a mounting point and is not used in the operation of the clutch. Discs are not sprung. You would need to reinstall the factory flywheel if you had to install a kit-specific one for the Exedy.

The regular RXT is rated to 1000 hp. The RXT 1200 is rated to 1200 hp.

I personally dont think it has the best feel for the street, but mine has never had a power-holding performance problem. If/when Im due for a new clutch, Im going to give the X-Clutch that @biminiLX mentioned a good, hard look.

PM-Performance

Established Member
RXT is a pure bolt-on unit. Flywheel is just a mounting point and is not used in the operation of the clutch. Discs are not sprung. You would need to reinstall the factory flywheel if you had to install a kit-specific one for the Exedy.

The regular RXT is rated to 1000 hp. The RXT 1200 is rated to 1200 hp.

I personally dont think it has the best feel for the street, but mine has never had a power-holding performance problem. If/when Im due for a new clutch, Im going to give the X-Clutch that @biminiLX mentioned a good, hard look.

The 07-09 ones do not come with a flywheel. Lethal sells them packaged with one though.
The 10-14 one is the one with the friction plate to use with stock flywheel. That one also seems to be sprung, hence my quandry.
I don't want to worry about broken input shafts if I go unsprung.
Yes I do have the Exedy flywheel. So that one will not work with the 10/14 one with the friction plate if I went that route?
My exedy is stupid stiff. I have gotten used to it and can feather it if I try, but I would appreciate something a little less pressure I think.

The X clutch thing. . . I dunno. I hate to be the guinnea pig with stuff.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The 07-09 ones do not come with a flywheel. Lethal sells them packaged with one though.
The 10-14 one is the one with the friction plate to use with stock flywheel. That one also seems to be sprung, hence my quandry.
I don't want to worry about broken input shafts if I go unsprung.
Yes I do have the Exedy flywheel. So that one will not work with the 10/14 one with the friction plate if I went that route?
My exedy is stupid stiff. I have gotten used to it and can feather it if I try, but I would appreciate something a little less pressure I think.

The X clutch thing. . . I dunno. I hate to be the guinnea pig with stuff.
If you still have the stock flywheel, Id throw it on there. As for the unsprung clutch plates, you'll get chatter from the transmission in 4th. Broken input shafts dont seem to be a problem with the RXT. The TR6060 is a very beefy unit, just has shit synchros.

PM-Performance

Established Member
If you still have the stock flywheel, Id throw it on there. As for the unsprung clutch plates, you'll get chatter from the transmission in 4th. Broken input shafts dont seem to be a problem with the RXT. The TR6060 is a very beefy unit, just has shit synchros.

I do not have the stock flywheel. Even with the stock Lethal said the cutouts are different so you lose contact patch.
The unsprung thing bothers me a bit though. Not sure why they even have the unsprung option

I read the heavier flywheel from Mccleod is preferred as well?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
McLeod Mustang RXT Twin Disc 1000HP Clutch w/ Flywheel - 26 Spline - 8 Bolt 6918-07 (07-09 GT500)

Looks like McLeod includes a flywheel for 2007-2009. 10-14 uses the factory flywheel, so i was wrong about the 07-09 using the factory flywheel with the RXT.

Id give McLeod a call to see what they recommend for a slave/throwout, but I was told by McLeod that the factory slave was preferred. Of course, that was on my 2011.

I dont think you will have any reliability issues with a non sprung clutch disk. If youre making big boy power, a sprung disk might be less reliable in the long run.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
As far as XClutch goes, I’ve been the ginnea pig and it’s been great.
9.50s over 150 at 4000# and drives to the track is great. I run their triple, you’d probably prefer their twin. Their US guy is a good friend from Exedy.
-J

PM-Performance

Established Member
As far as XClutch goes, I’ve been the ginnea pig and it’s been great.
9.50s over 150 at 4000# and drives to the track is great. I run their triple, you’d probably prefer their twin. Their US guy is a good friend from Exedy.
-J
Thanks for the info. I have a friend that is running one in his N54 BMW as well with great things to say.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Exedy Hyper Twin for these cars? It seems everyone rides the Mcleod nuts and nothing else really gets talked about

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thanks for the info. I have a friend that is running one in his N54 BMW as well with great things to say.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Exedy Hyper Twin for these cars? It seems everyone rides the Mcleod nuts and nothing else really gets talked about
Its cause the RXT is a known quantity. Im not saying its THE best at all, but enough people use and abuse them to prove they're reliable. Unless an owner has expendable money, no one really wants to find out the hard way that a clutch is terrible, cant hold the power, is unreliable or all 3.

If BiminiLX is having fantastic results with his X-Clutch, that would seriously be the only other aftermarket option Id consider. He makes big boy power and knows his shit. Around here if he says its good, its good.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Its cause the RXT is a known quantity. Im not saying its THE best at all, but enough people use and abuse them to prove they're reliable. Unless an owner has expendable money, no one really wants to find out the hard way that a clutch is terrible, cant hold the power, is unreliable or all 3.

If BiminiLX is having fantastic results with his X-Clutch, that would seriously be the only other aftermarket option Id consider. He makes big boy power and knows his shit. Around here if he says its good, its good.

I get it ,but in the same token I am reading tons of people bitching about Mcleod. So it makes decisions harder. I personally know someone who has a recently rebuilt TR6060 that had an RXT 1200. He now has a 1000 in it. I have seen people on FB as well posting snapped input shafts.
While I would love to say I need overkill, I am not sure the unsprung makes me feel fuzzy to be honest.
The X Clutch is a decent amount pricier from what I saw. I really need to crunch numbers.

I honestly think my Exedy Mach600 took a hell of a beating. If I wasnt stupid and fuzed it together ( i think), I believe it would probably have lasted quite a few more years.
The very little info I read on the Exedy Hyper Twin on Mustangs people seemed to like them. But its very few and far between to find anything on forums about people running them.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Not to sidetrack, but I find this discussion informative.

I have the T56 Magnum with RST on an 08 GT. Is the fact the clutch is unsprung the sole reason I get the "marbles in a coffee can" sound in 4th gear (and some in 3rd) below 1900 RPMs?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
You will get chatter with the 07-09 RXT. But the pedal is light. If you ever started out with the original 07-09 clutch then the comfort zone is similar.

If you started out with the 2010+ clutch you may not like the RXT.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Not to sidetrack, but I find this discussion informative.

I have the T56 Magnum with RST on an 08 GT. Is the fact the clutch is unsprung the sole reason I get the "marbles in a coffee can" sound in 4th gear (and some in 3rd) below 1900 RPMs?
Yes. The springs in the clutch hub help dampen some NVH before it goes through the trans. When you are in 4th gear your input shaft is directly splined to the mainshaft. The countershaft is still spun by the input shaft (4th gear). But since its unloaded it can chatter at certain RPMs and loads.

The factory GT500 clutches are sprung hub which help dampen the NVH that causes that phenomena. First drive I had with my RXT, I about shit my pants when I heard it. Friend with a LS2 swapped Tacoma with T56 told me it was normal, and sure enough his truck did it with a race clutch.

***edit*** Im not sure, but I think the RST was offered with sprung and non-sprung clutch hubs?

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Yes. The springs in the clutch hub help dampen some NVH before it goes through the trans. When you are in 4th gear your input shaft is directly splined to the mainshaft. The countershaft is still spun by the input shaft (4th gear). But since is unloaded it can chatter at certain RPMs and loads.

The factory GT500 clutches are sprung hub which help dampen the NVH that causes that phenomena. First drive I had with my RXT, I about shit my pants when I heard it. Friend with a LS2 swapped Tacoma with T56 told me it was normal, and sure enough his truck did it with a race clutch.

Thanks. I've had two t56s, so I expected the noise this go around. But, I never got confirmation whether it was about the "dual clutch" or the lack of springs.

And this thread surprised me, cause I didn't realize that it was an option to not have that ridiculous noise with these "big boy" parts

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Thanks. I've had two t56s, so I expected the noise this go around. But, I never got confirmation whether it was about the "dual clutch" or the lack of springs.

And this thread surprised me, cause I didn't realize that it was an option to not have that ridiculous noise with these "big boy" parts
To be clear, the GT500 RXT is solid hub, no springs. Unsure of other clutches, but my RXT is definitely solid hub.

PM-Performance

Established Member
To be clear, the GT500 RXT is solid hub, no springs. Unsure of other clutches, but my RXT is definitely solid hub.

there is an option to do the spring version, but need to swap other parts and adds to the expense as it’s a 10/14 unit
Mantic/Exedy/DYAD for sure are sprung. I think the RST is sprung as well, but I did not look that hard at it.

PM-Performance

Established Member

mall twins make some kind of noise I think except supposedly the DYAD. But unsprung will add more for sure

Users who are viewing this thread