Questions for cold air intake

LavaSlide

Established Member
As you all have read some of my posts from my 2014 GT500 that I bought about a month ago. I finally have this thing healthy. From the first dyno and the supporting mods, I think my power levels will be around 740ish to the wheel. I have some bucking and hesitation when the engine is cold and low RPM Driving.

My question is and I have not talked to Lund yet but with my power levels do I need the JLT super big air intake in Hydrocarbon finish (148mm)? This seems too much for what I need. The car is a beast now but this just seems too big for what I have now.

Would it be better to go with a smaller Cold Air Kit to meter the air better?

I have the filter that came with the car and just bought a new blue filter. This just seems to much for what I have.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm running a '09 GT 500 JLT 127mm CAI on my Roush... different animal than yours... mine only 625rwhp.

Anyway, reason I posted here is because I have an oiled air filter... lightly oiled. I only drive my car occasionally, but I would say that it often acts exactly like you describe (bucking and hesitating, more so when cold). As soon as it starts that, I take out the MAF and hose the living heck out of it with MAF cleaner. I let the MAF dry out, re-install, and the car runs like new again. It is amazing how sensitive the MAF can be to contamination... probably more so when in bigger tube.

LavaSlide

Established Member
Spot-on advice from both @fearthesnake and @Mojo88. I run a CF 127mm JLT at comparable power with no problems, so you don't "need" a 148mm. MAF fouling can certainly cause engine irregularity.

I'll also ask what TB are you running? Monoblades are notoriously tricky to tune for smooth running.

TB is the FRPP twin 65mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I'm running a '09 GT 500 JLT 127mm CAI on my Roush... different animal than yours... mine only 625rwhp.

Anyway, reason I posted here is because I have an oiled air filter... lightly oiled. I only drive my car occasionally, but I would say that it often acts exactly like you describe (bucking and hesitating, more so when cold). As soon as it starts that, I take out the MAF and hose the living heck out of it with MAF cleaner. I let the MAF dry out, re-install, and the car runs like new again. It is amazing how sensitive the MAF can be to contamination... probably more so when in bigger tube.

It shouldn’t be that sensitive. Years ago few tuners were of the stance that the MAF signal from the JLT wasn’t as clean on the earlier GT500 as say OEM or FRPP due to inconsistent ID of the tube itself. Something to think about.

LavaSlide

Established Member
Just stopping by;

What is your complete mod list OP?
123, is enough.

This is what I know it has
FRPP twin 65mm TB
Kooks LTH
Kooks x pipe stock axle back
JLT 148 super big hydrocarbon
2.4 upper with steeda 90mm idler and adjustable tensioner.
Working with Lund to finalize the tune.

I really like the PMAS cold air but if I change it I may go with what Lund suggest.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It shouldn’t be that sensitive. Years ago few tuners were of the stance that the MAF signal from the JLT wasn’t as clean on the earlier GT500 as say OEM or FRPP due to inconsistent ID of the tube itself. Something to think about.
This is all very true. The whipple and cobra jet 123mm have had the cleanest signals.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
As you all have read some of my posts from my 2014 GT500 that I bought about a month ago. I finally have this thing healthy. From the first dyno and the supporting mods, I think my power levels will be around 740ish to the wheel. I have some bucking and hesitation when the engine is cold and low RPM Driving.

My question is and I have not talked to Lund yet but with my power levels do I need the JLT super big air intake in Hydrocarbon finish (148mm)? This seems too much for what I need. The car is a beast now but this just seems too big for what I have now.

Would it be better to go with a smaller Cold Air Kit to meter the air better?

I have the filter that came with the car and just bought a new blue filter. This just seems to much for what I have.
One of the positives things about " canned " tunes,...
....they'll keep sending revisions till they get it right !
JLT CAI's are not know for " clean " " repeatable " signals..

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
There is nothing wrong with a JLT intake. Yes, they are molded plastic and there could be some variation between them, but any variation is well within the range of adaptive controls to correct. Now the 148, a tube that's intended for 800 or more rwhp, can be a challenge for the MAF at low load operation. These cars turn very low rpm at cruise, and with a vehicle at speed, the MAF sensor can send an erratic signal to the PCM because of interruptions in the slow flow rate across the meter. The slow flow rate can be interrupted by air moving through the front of the car. It's really overkill for your mods.

LavaSlide

Established Member
There is nothing wrong with a JLT intake. Yes, they are molded plastic and there could be some variation between them, but any variation is well within the range of adaptive controls to correct. Now the 148, a tube that's intended for 800 or more rwhp, can be a challenge for the MAF at low load operation. These cars turn very low rpm at cruise, and with a vehicle at speed, the MAF sensor can send an erratic signal to the PCM because of interruptions in the slow flow rate across the meter. The slow flow rate can be interrupted by air moving through the front of the car. It's really overkill for your mods.

That’s what I was thinking. I will down size just want to get the right setup. I bought this car with this huge intake.

As soon as I get all these little things worked out I will finalize the tune with a remote session with Lund. Just getting bugs worked out now.

LavaSlide

Established Member
One of the positives things about " canned " tunes,...
....they'll keep sending revisions till they get it right !
JLT CAI's are not know for " clean " " repeatable " signals..

Not sure if canned is the right word for Lunds tunes. Have been working with them for years and will be finalizing this with more remote sessions.

eagle eye

Established Member
That’s what I was thinking. I will down size just want to get the right setup. I bought this car with this huge intake.

As soon as I get all these little things worked out I will finalize the tune with a remote session with Lund. Just getting bugs worked out now.

For what it's worth, I had a 123, CJ TB, BPS elbow and Lund tune on my `13 and honestly, it ran better than stock. You can't go wrong with Jon Lund.

SteveWK

Established Member
LavaSlide, like the nick BTW, get it all sorted out with Lund. My only complaint with Lund and tuners in general is I don't know exactly what they have changed. I don't want the fueling and spark maps, just say you have changed this or that in general terms. Will the tune raise the factory limiter, will the tune eliminate the clutch saving algorithm, and etc. I just want to know the general landscape of what they are doing, and they never tell me and treat me like I am some sort of an idiot. It really is amazing. Little do they know and little do they seem to care is that my background both professionally and scholastically is in feedback control systems which is exactly what they are tuning.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
LavaSlide, like the nick BTW, get it all sorted out with Lund. My only complaint with Lund and tuners in general is I don't know exactly what they have changed. I don't want the fueling and spark maps, just say you have changed this or that in general terms. Will the tune raise the factory limiter, will the tune eliminate the clutch saving algorithm, and etc. I just want to know the general landscape of what they are doing, and they never tell me and treat me like I am some sort of an idiot. It really is amazing. Little do they know and little do they seem to care is that my background both professionally and scholastically is in feedback control systems which is exactly what they are tuning.
This is one of the reasons I went with a local tuner who happily answers my questions before, during, and after custom dyno tuning my car.

efnfast

Established Member

Disagree - when I put on my JLT and Lund tune the car would sometimes stall after starting and when driving the fuel trims were removing 20% fuel. Lund adjusted my tune to compensate and then all good. I found numerous people with the same problem/solution ... JLT = garbage quality control

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
For a 20% variance, your tuner loaded the wrong value file. It happens. Further complicating the JLT transfer function is using a filter with and without the screen and using the wrong transfer function for the filter. The MAF tube is a pretty simple device and the tuning companies have known transfer functions for them. That's not to say they can't use some tweaking.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
I get the same impression. I have a tune from them and I do not know what was deleted or changed when it comes to things like catalytic converter protection, clutch protection, traction and stability controls.

The first time I drove the car I almost "crashed" it (slight over exaggeration here I am a great driver) because they definitely modified the traction control system. I have yet to figure out if they played with the stability control as well. Yes the car is a thousand times better to drive than stock, but I would really like the traction control feature to be as it was when it was stock and allow me to disable it with the button if I want to horse around.

I have read about a few people who blew up their engine because they melted the catalytic converters on a road course and with the protection removed the driver didn't know, and the engine failed.

LavaSlide

Established Member
I did not create this to bash a tuner or a company. I just think the 148 is a bit much and it is one of their older CAI as it has the Hydrocarbon paint. I think that was a thing back in 2014. JLT said that they have not made this CAI in a few years.

I just trying to get the car dialed in and this bucking surging only happens every once in a while. When it starts either turn the car off and restart or do a quick WOT and it clears up. Make me think the MAF acts up with the air.

Users who are viewing this thread