Questions regarding Raptors and Ford ESPs...

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I have a 2014 SE Screw ordered that will be built next week with an ETA for delivery of June 25. I am getting out from my 6.0 Powerstroke to get into this truck. I was wondering on everyone's opinions of the ExtendedService Plans that Ford offers.

This will be my daily driver all year round and I expect to put on anywhere from 10-15,000 miles a year on the truck. I was looking into the Premium 7/125,000 ESP that Ford offers.

Pricing is as follows as offered online via Flood Ford:

$0 Deductible for $2,390
$50 Deductible for $1,990
$100 Deductible for $1,815
$200 Deductible for $1,615

Now I may have a jaded view on the warranty situation because my 6.0 was constantly in the shop. I have spent roughly $7,000 on repairs for the vehicle since it's original warranty expired so I know how easy it is to hit $1,000 or more for a vehicle repair in a single visit.

I plan on keeping this truck "stock." The furthest extent of mods I would consider over the next couple of years would solely be cosmetic or something like an exhaust and different tires. I'm not going to take this truck mudding or drive it like its a trophy truck. I don't need to beat up my $60,000 truck to feel like a man or prove how cool I am.

Basically I'm asking if the $1,990 or $2,390 would be worth grabbing when I sign the papers. I really haven't seen too many horror threads concerning these trucks with warranty work like I do with the 6.0 PSDs and I really don't plan on beating the truck into the ground. It would be used as protection against common parts failures or other types of warranty claims related to everyday normal use.

Any insight, advice or experiences regarding this is greatly appreciated and welcomed.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I would get the extended warranty right before the original warranty expires. See how reliable the Raptor is in the timeframe from delivery to the warranty expiring. I bought the PremiumCare $det extended warranty before and it paid itself off many times over.

The extneded warranty is prorated btw.

Last edited:

Svts

Established Member
As a professional technician at a Ford dealership I highly recommend the Premium Care warranty if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. Nobody can beat it for coverage and it's good at any Ford/Lincoln dealership nationwide. They also require only O.E. Parts. No used engines or transmissions like aftermarket warranties sometime make you use.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
Thanks for the information everyone. I guess I will see how things go for the first year or so and make a decision at that time. I can't imagine the price for the extended warranty would increase drastically after a year or two. But it is good to know that it can still be an option if I felt I needed it at that time.

I have just become a little paranoid about failures after going through everything I have with my current truck. I figured I would post up here to see if any of you have had experience with the ESPs or needed warranty work done to your trucks.

Thank you again.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I was fortunate to have only two issues with my 06 F250 6.0. O-ring on the ICP sensor and oil leak in the turbo. But I only put 42,000 miles on it in 7 years. Did a few modifications, but no issues as the result of doing so. As far as the Raptor, a year and 3 months later, zero issues. Then again only 8000 miles or so and I use it off road, but no off-roading. I might consider an extended warranty before the Ford one runs out.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
I guess it does make sense if you are planning on keeping the truck for more than 3 yrs.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I was fortunate to have only two issues with my 06 F250 6.0. O-ring on the ICP sensor and oil leak in the turbo. But I only put 42,000 miles on it in 7 years. Did a few modifications, but no issues as the result of doing so. As far as the Raptor, a year and 3 months later, zero issues. Then again only 8000 miles or so and I use it off road, but no off-roading. I might consider an extended warranty before the Ford one runs out.

I have had my fair share of issues with my truck. It was purchased new off the lot April 2005. It puked coolant literally from day one with 3.5 miles on it. I was limped along and told this was "normal" even though I knew it wasn't.

Overall the list of repairs goes something like this:

MULTIPLE of the following: (2x)Oil Coolers, (2x)EGR Coolers, (4x)EGR Valves, (2x)Fuel Pumps, (2x)FICMs, (2x)Up-Pipes and a grand total of 21 injectors. 13 of the injectors failed while running OEM oil and I just replaced all eight again about a month ago.

SINGLE failures/repairs of the following: Low Pressure Oil Pump, High Pressure Oil Pump, (1) Head, Factory TTY Head Bolts, Head Gaskets (Although they are leaking again as I type this), Smart Junction Box/Fuse Panel, Instrument Cluster and one broken dipstick. Head Studs were supposed to be installed but some how, after having them over-nighted to the dealership the Installer "forgot" to install them instead of the OEM bolts.

I'm sure some of these repairs were the result of a parts changing service department at the first dealership I took the truck to but regardless, it gets a little disheartening to have your truck in the shop every other month or to be changing injectors at every other oil change LOL.

90% of my failures with the exception of: (1) set of injectors, (1) Oil Pump and the Gaskets occurred before the truck was modified. This list doesn't include the normal maintenance items such as rotors, pads, speed sensor or oil changes at $200 a pop (I use full Synthetic Oil, OEM Filters, OEM Filter Caps and new O-Rings) every 6 months, etc.

So as you can see, I feel as though my concerns are grounded in some type of legitimate fear haha.

I guess it does make sense if you are planning on keeping the truck for more than 3 yrs.

As with the Shelby, I plan on keeping this truck forever. I think that opening the garage door and seeing the Snake and Dinosaur in there sitting side by side will be a pretty cool sight for years to come.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I have had my fair share of issues with my truck. It was purchased new off the lot April 2005. It puked coolant literally from day one with 3.5 miles on it. I was limped along and told this was "normal" even though I knew it wasn't.

MULTIPLE of the following: (2x)Oil Coolers, (2x)EGR Coolers, (4x)EGR Valves, (2x)Fuel Pumps, (2x)FICMs, (2x)Up-Pipes and a grand total of 21 injectors. 13 of the injectors failed while running OEM oil and I just replaced all eight again about a month ago.

SINGLE failures/repairs of the following: Low Pressure Oil Pump, High Pressure Oil Pump, (1) Head, Factory TTY Head Bolts, Head Gaskets (Although they are leaking again as I type this), Smart Junction Box/Fuse Panel, Instrument Cluster and one broken dipstick. Head Studs were supposed to be installed but some how, after having them over-nighted to the dealership the Installer "forgot" to install them instead of the OEM bolts.

I'm sure some of these repairs were the result of a parts changing service department at the first dealership I took the truck to but regardless, it gets a little disheartening to have your truck in the shop every other month or to be changing injectors at every other oil change LOL.

90% of my failures with the exception of: (1) set of injectors, (1) Oil Pump and the Gaskets occurred before the truck was modified. This list doesn't include the normal maintenance items such as rotors, pads, speed sensor or oil changes at $200 a pop (I use full Synthetic Oil, OEM Filters, OEM Filter Caps and new O-Rings) every 6 months, etc.

So as you can see, I feel as though my concerns are grounded in some type of legitimate fear haha.

As with the Shelby, I plan on keeping this truck forever. I think that opening the garage door and seeing the Snake and Dinosaur in there sitting side by side will be a pretty cool sight for years to come.

Yeah, really can't blame you there. Guess I got lucky with mine.

steeltoe

Established Member

I have never heard of one turck having that many failures and reoccourring failures. I was a Ford tech and both in the real world and working on 6.0L PSD in Antarctica not a single truck ever had that many problems. My parents have had 2 6.0L PSD a 2003 and 2005. 2003 was traded in at 50K miles and 90% of the miles were heavy towing. The 2005 was bought because my mom bought a bigger horse trailer and it required a DRW truck. It has 40,000 miles and 100% are heavy towing and neither truck had any issues like you had. So either A) you have the worst luck out of anyone or B) and don't take this the wrong way the problem was you.

!!!PainTrain!!!

Mattis for POTUS
Established Member
I have never heard of one turck having that many failures and reoccourring failures. I was a Ford tech and both in the real world and working on 6.0L PSD in Antarctica not a single truck ever had that many problems. My parents have had 2 6.0L PSD a 2003 and 2005. 2003 was traded in at 50K miles and 90% of the miles were heavy towing. The 2005 was bought because my mom bought a bigger horse trailer and it required a DRW truck. It has 40,000 miles and 100% are heavy towing and neither truck had any issues like you had. So either A) you have the worst luck out of anyone or B) and don't take this the wrong way the problem was you.

No offense taken.

I think there were multiple contributing factors to my problems, including myself. I did not baby the truck and I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some fun in it every now and again. But I also didn't beat on it, hook to sleds, over load it, etc.

The first dealership that I used did all of the routine service work on the truck every six months. I'd tell them about having an issue and they would suggest the repair. Most of my issues were rough idle, white smoke at idle, hard start, etc., which are all common problems with these trucks from what I've seen online. I don't know if they were mis-diagnosing the truck, throwing parts at it or what. I just know that every time I took it in there were suggesting I do something to it.

The FICMs were tested both times and were not putting out the correct voltage so they were replaced. Both the EGR and Oil Coolers were done at the same time first when the EGR cooler ruptured and again when the head gaskets were replaced. EGR Vales were done as well and I changed them out twice on my own after they become gunked with soot. Both up pipes cracked in the bellows section where it is ribbed for flexibility/expansion. The instrument cluster and smart junction box were replaced because some module in the cluster went bad and gave me all kinds of electrical gremlins. The truck would just shut off going down the road, radio wouldn't work, power windows/locks would stop working, it was nuts lol. Power steering pump went out pulling into a parking space at college and the water pump went out while it was sitting in a parking lot idling while I ran into pick up a pizza.

I think a lot of the injector issues were the result of stiction using OEM oil. After switching to synthetic and an oil additive I haven't had any problems except for last month when I went ahead and replaced all eight injectors because two were "stuck open." I figured I go ahead and do all eight while I was in there and it had been a couple years since they were last touched.

It just boggles my mind because like you said, there are trucks out there running twice as hard that have zero issues. Then there are guys like me who put 15k miles a year on the truck and seem to have a never ending list of issues. I'm not going to pretend I'm a mechanic so when the dealership told me this, this and this needs replaced, I let them do it. Now looking back on it I should have probably taken it to another dealership from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread