Quieting down Twin Walbro 255s

DisposableHero

Established Member
My twin walbro's in my fore hat are super loud in my return setup. I had a thread over on modfords, but wanted to see if I got any more replies here.

I can here it outside the car while idling from a distance and as it slowly drives away. Its really annoying. I unplugged one at a time and they both sound the same so I doubt they're failing.

My fore hat is the special walbro one and it did have the rubber o-rings inside as if i remember correctly.

Any ideas? Do i need an aeromotive fuel pump controller? 250 each would suck.

SVT GI

Established Member
Weird...I've got return set ups with exact parts as you in both my Cobra's and I can only hear them with the key on not running. You can actually hear them when the car is driving off? You must have super quiet exhaust. I bought one set of pumps from Lethal and one set off ebay and they sound the same. Part number was something342 (i think). I wonder if you just have a different model of pump that may be louder for what ever reason.

I don't know much about the aeromotive controller you are talking about...sorry no help on that, but I wouldn't spend 500 to find out it didn't do anything for the situation.

Digital

Established Member
My twin walbro's in my fore hat are super loud in my return setup. I had a thread over on modfords, but wanted to see if I got any more replies here.

I can here it outside the car while idling from a distance and as it slowly drives away. Its really annoying. I unplugged one at a time and they both sound the same so I doubt they're failing.

My fore hat is the special walbro one and it did have the rubber o-rings inside as if i remember correctly.

Any ideas? Do i need an aeromotive fuel pump controller? 250 each would suck.

I have 2 wired on all the time and a 3rd wired in for boost and I only hear them at key on or if I listen with radio off while I'm sitting and am low on gas.
Otherwise give them a little break in period, I know mine were louder when I got them and have quieted down a little since I put like 6k on the system.

DisposableHero

Established Member
I have 2 wired on all the time and a 3rd wired in for boost and I only hear them at key on or if I listen with radio off while I'm sitting and am low on gas.
Otherwise give them a little break in period, I know mine were louder when I got them and have quieted down a little since I put like 6k on the system.

Yeah i dont have much on them.. maybe 50 miles max.. idled a lot though.

How low on gas do you have to be to hear it more? I never run them with more than half a tank.

Digital

Established Member
Yeah i dont have much on them.. maybe 50 miles max.. idled a lot though.

How low on gas do you have to be to hear it more? I never run them with more than half a tank.

You mean less then half a tank?
Try putting a thousand or so miles on them and see how they sound. Shouldent be a problem, mine were the same way.

Digital

Established Member
no I do mean more than half full... My fore hat leaks so I don't fill it up lol

Mine leaks too, couldent find anything wrong with my tank, my shop thought it was warped or something, when its full to the brim it leaks a little.
I knew it wasnt just me. Shitty fore seals.
I also had to pound the bottom of my tank to get the socks to fit too.

Last edited:

DisposableHero

Established Member
Mine leaks too, couldent find anything wrong with my tank, my shop thought it was warped or something, when its full to the brim it leaks a little.

I had to do exactly the same and I think that's why it still leaks. I think maybe that's why they are louder too because the socks may be pushed to the bottom of the tank.

I put some rtv around the top of the hat and it did seal but I didn't use gas friendly rtv so it probably wouldn't hold.

Digital

Established Member
I had to do exactly the same and I think that's why it still leaks. I think maybe that's why they are louder too because the socks may be pushed to the bottom of the tank.

I put some rtv around the top of the hat and it did seal but I didn't use gas friendly rtv so it probably wouldn't hold.

I would possibly be interested in us both making a formal complain to fore about this since it infact cost me a fair amount of money in testing to figure out there was nothing wrong with my tank and it was fores crappy design.

DisposableHero

Established Member
I would possibly be interested in us both making a formal complain to fore about this since it infact cost me a fair amount of money in testing to figure out there was nothing wrong with my tank and it was fores crappy design.

Fore is actually pretty good to deal with. They sent me a replacement hat when I went return becuase mine didn't come with thE return pipe that flows the fuel to the bottom.

Now that I think about it, they might have given me an older model. I need to see if I have o-rings in there. Maybe why the pumps are so loud.

Both hats leaked. I haven't filled up a full tank of gas for years LOL

let me know how you want to contact them. They might be nice enough to help without much trouble.

SVT GI

Established Member

How old are the hats you two are using? I have 2 of these hats and never ran into a problem with fitment or leaks. Somebody mentioned shitty Fore seals, the hat requires you to use the factory hat seal and trimming the little rubber nubs so that the seal sits flush on the hat (notice the little holes/indents in Fore hat). And the issue with the socks hitting the bottom of the tank, you have 1 1/2" or so of rubber hose to each pump that you trim to bring the pumps closer to the hat so the socks will clear the bottom of the tank.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
How old are the hats you two are using? I have 2 of these hats and never ran into a problem with fitment or leaks. Somebody mentioned shitty Fore seals, the hat requires you to use the factory hat seal and trimming the little rubber nubs so that the seal sits flush on the hat (notice the little holes/indents in Fore hat). And the issue with the socks hitting the bottom of the tank, you have 1 1/2" or so of rubber hose to each pump that you trim to bring the pumps closer to the hat so the socks will clear the bottom of the tank.

this.

i have never had a problem with my fore hat when i installed it. :shrug:

DisposableHero

Established Member

I need to look at trimming the rubber, but ive tried new seals and i followed the directions to the T and it always leaked until i put a shitload of rtv

Digital

Established Member
I need to look at trimming the rubber, but ive tried new seals and i followed the directions to the T and it always leaked until i put a shitload of rtv

Same. Fore actually includes seals with the hat so dunno what that one guy is talking about. Also you can't raise the pumps up too high or they hit the male adapter the hoses go on for the hat. You may gain a little bit of room but not much.
My hat is about a 6 months old i'd say.

black 10th vert

Established Member
wow, this is the very first time that I have ever read anything negative about the Fore hat - especially leaking issues! I have to think that there is something being improperly installed, as opposed to a faulty design by Fore. There is a crapload of people running them, so if this was a prevalent thing, I'm sure it would have been discussed many times already!

SVT GI

Established Member
Same. Fore actually includes seals with the hat so dunno what that one guy is talking about. Also you can't raise the pumps up too high or they hit the male adapter the hoses go on for the hat. You may gain a little bit of room but not much.
My hat is about a 6 months old i'd say.

My instructions are from 12/23/2008 Rev.02. Do you have newer ones? Mine clearly outline the two issue's of discussion, except the OP's original concern of them being noisey.

My inventory did not include any seals.
102_9958.gif

Required OEM components. Notice the last one, use factory hat seal.
102_9968.gif

Here is where I stated to snip/trim rubber nubs to allow seal to sit flush with Fore hat.
102_9969.gif

Here is where I stated about trimming the rubber hoses to set proper depth of pumps to allow sock not to hit the bottom of the tank.
102_9971.gif

And this is where Fore says that if interference with fitment persist, to repeat step above.
102_9972.gif

I have no affiliation with FORE what so ever, but I do run a lot of their products because of product quality and their customer service. As stated above from others, this is the first we have heard of any of these issues. So this leads me to believe it may have been installation errors. I'm not doubting your abilities, things happen and there are those odd ball situations that happen from time to time. I'm just trying to help you two out with a common issue and maybe not have a respected vendor on this site to get a bad rap by a mis-diagnosed inferior product. Good luck :beer:

DisposableHero

Established Member
I never meant to bash fore in anyway. They've been great to me and always respond to my pm's.

Maybe my tank is just messed up and not creating a good seal. Those directions above look exactly how mine did.

Here is a video for you guys i took last night to quickly hear how the pumps sound. Notice i can hear them when i walk away from the car even around the corner.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKQYXCleVW0"]YouTube- Stupid loud walbro 255's[/ame]

Last edited:

DisposableHero

Established Member
Ok guys... finally got time and dropped the tank.

Didn't "see" anything wrong, but was able to know for sure that I do have the fore hat with the o-rings.

I ended up cutting the two hoses a fingers length shorter and moving the pumps upward away from the bottom of the tank.

I guess they were bottoming out because I can barely hear them now! :beer:
They are still pretty loud with the car off, but once the car is on, I can no longer hear them like the video i posted above. :beer:

As far as the leaking fore hat. I found some gasoline friendly gasket maker and put a bunch around the top of the hat gasket. Hopefully this will allow me to fill the tank up all the way. :bash:

SVT GI

Established Member
Ok guys... finally got time and dropped the tank.

Didn't "see" anything wrong, but was able to know for sure that I do have the fore hat with the o-rings.

I ended up cutting the two hoses a fingers length shorter and moving the pumps upward away from the bottom of the tank.

I guess they were bottoming out because I can barely hear them now! :beer:
They are still pretty loud with the car off, but once the car is on, I can no longer hear them like the video i posted above. :beer:

As far as the leaking fore hat. I found some gasoline friendly gasket maker and put a bunch around the top of the hat gasket. Hopefully this will allow me to fill the tank up all the way. :bash:

Cool...Im glad you got it figured out :beer:

DisposableHero

Established Member
well i was incorrect in my previous post saying it was quieter.. after a few days sound came back...

Just for fun I decided to order new pumps and filters with new socks as well...

Just finished installing and boy what a difference... Instead of the loud hipitched whine/squeel these new walbros are deeper and quieter.

Maybe it was dirty fuel pump socks (some of my gasket maker stuff had got in) or messed up pumps.

We'll see how these last.

Users who are viewing this thread