R.I.P to the fallen angels of HMLA-169

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Captain David Mitchell
mitchell-300x400.jpg

http://www.wral.com/news/local/video/6312588/
Since her son Seth joined the Marines, Connie Mitchell never doubted he would come home.
“I just felt like he would be safe. I prayed a lot for him…just thought he would be OK,” Mitchell said.

But early Monday morning, military officials went to the Mitchell’s Cary home to tell their son had died.

Capt. David “Seth” Mitchell, 30, was one of four Marines killed when two U.S. Marine helicopters – one UH-1 and an AH-1 Cobra – collided in flight before sunrise over the southern province of Helmand in Afghanistan, military officials said.

Mitchell, 30, was born in Charlotte and graduated from Loveland High School in Loveland, Ohio, in 1997.

“He died doing what he loved best,” Connie Mitchell said. “He loved being a Marine and he absolutely loved flying that helicopter. He told me on more than one occasion, ‘Mom, I can’t believe I get paid for what I do.’”

The Mitchell family last talked to Seth when he left for Afghanistan in August. He volunteered to go ahead of his unit because there was a need for Cobra pilots.

“He was just an average boy who had average abilities, but had a heart that drove him further,” his father Steve Mitchell said.

“He was always calling me, checking in, seeing how I was doing,” his brother, Drew Mitchell, said. “He was more than a brother, he was my best friend.”

In their grief, the Mitchell family said they wanted to share their story, but also wanted to pay tribute to all the other men and women serving our country.

“He was a great American and he served his country well and he did what he thought was right,” Steve Mitchell said. “But there’s other folks that are doing the same thing.”

Services will be held in Cary next week. He will be buried next Friday in Arlington National Cemetery.

Last edited:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Capt. Kyle Van De Giesen
6334830.jpg

The community is mourning the death of a young man who was fulfilling his dream of being a helicopter pilot for the U.S. Marines when he was killed Monday in Afghanistan.
Van De Giesen's death came just a week before he was set to end his tour, in time for the birth of his second child.

"It is with sadness today that we learned that our son, brother and husband Marine Capt. Kyle R. Van De Giesen was killed today in the line of duty in Afghanistan," his family said in a statement Monday. "He fulfilled his lifelong dream of becoming a Marine helicopter pilot, protecting his family and serving his country."
In addition to his wife Megan, who is pregnant with the couple's second child, and daughter Avery, Van De Giesen is survived by his parents, Ruth Ann and Calvin Van De Giesen; his sister Caitlin; and two brothers, Ryan and Christian.
Van De Giesen, who was on his third tour of duty, having served previously in Iraq.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Cpl. Gregory M.W. Fleury
gregoryfreedomrememberedfleury.jpg

The 23-year-old already had served two tours of duty in Iraq as a gunner and mechanic aboard combat helicopters before being shipped to Afghanistan, his family said.
"Because of this flare-up in Afghanistan, he accepted that," his grandfather said. "We had to respect his willingness to serve and complete this mission. Some people would have tried to demand that they be let out, that they've already served. But he accepted the extra challenge and responsibility, which is typical of him."

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLScvzLebgg"]YouTube - Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 167-Afghanistan[/ame]

Letter given to HMLA-169 pilots from a Forward Air Controller (FAC). Forward Air Controllers are Marine Aviators assigned to a ground infantry unit that are responsible for calling in air support. Edited for sensitive information by the use of XXX.
I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for your continued hard work and support. Your contributions of Gee-Dunk sodas, etc have done great things for our morale down at patrol bases XXX and XXX. The Marines joke around at times and say they have been forgotten when we run low on chow and water, but you have greatly diminished those thoughts.
Your presence on the battlefield instills great confidence in the Marines and Sailors. They know as long as you are there, they will be okay. The steady beat of your rotors is a very motivating sound. By far the most motivated I have seen our Marines was XX XXX. We had three squads in contact and we had taken a casualty. A mixed section came on station and as usual the enemy went to ground. The enemies fear of you is palipable. The casevac bird landed about 300 meters long and at that point, the enemy fired upon them and the Marines loading the casualty. The section quickly assessed the situation and suit cased the attack. All that was left for me was to clear them "hot". A tremendous cheer erupted from the Marines as the rockets and guns found their mark The enemy fire was silenced. The casevac bird was able to depart and our squads manuevered under the overwatch that you provided. We are just as frusterated as you by the restrictive Rules of Engagement and the tactics of our elusive enemy. And for the Marines to see the accuracy and devestation of your weapons first hand caused our morale to soar. So thanks again and know that your efforts and hard work are greatly appreciated by us down here. Keep giving them hell.
Semper Fidelis

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
God bless those boys and keep their families close to Him. They gave the ultimate sacrifice. My heart goes out to their families and friends. Hugs to you, Troy, in the loss of your brothers. :(

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Lost two more last night locally when a Coast Guard C-130 and an AH-1W Cobra had a midair. What a shity week this has been.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I know man this is a shitty time to be flying i guess. Aren't you a Pilot, please becareful flying if u are

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
Gun Runner Right?

Came from New River as a Air Traffic Controller and by far some of the best guys I have ever in contact with. May they rest in peace.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Gun Runner Right?

Came from New River as a Air Traffic Controller and by far some of the best guys I have ever in contact with. May they rest in peace.

No I'm with HMLA 369 Gunfighters. I'm out of Camp Pendleton. Gun Runners are HMLA 269 out of New River, N.C.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Yea I know man this is a shitty time to be flying i guess. Aren't you a Pilot, please becareful flying if u are

I wouldn't say it's a shitty time to be flying, just events reminding me of how dangerous the job can be. I always knew that it was, but you do your best to be as safe as you can be. It is inevitable though that these things will happen.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
You guys and gals definitely are definitely under paid.

:beer: fixed it for you :beer:

and to an earlier point, River City just sux ass. I understand the reason for it but dayum what a pain. Not only to set up but it leaves hundreds of families out of touch, sometimes for days while they wait for the Marines to do the notifications and get back to us saying that it was accomplished. It is only the Marines that do it so on bases run by the Army and Air Force it doesn't happen.

Where I am at the exception list is so damn long they just as well not have it at all LOL!

This has been a horrid couple of weeks for our Military.

Bloostd

War is Hell...
Established Member
My best friend is an Ariel Gunner for a c-130 gunship... He's had is rough..

R.I.P, you are in a better place.

Earth is the hell as we know it. sileo in pacis

Last edited:

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
If interested. I am donating.

Dear family and friends,

As you all know, our Marine Corps squadron HMLA 169 suffered a major loss last week. 4 Marines were killed and 2 critically wounded when a Cobra and a Huey collided midair in Afghanistan. Capt Kyle Van De Giesen, Capt Eric Jones, Capt Seth Mitchell, and Cpl Gregory Fleury will be greatly missed.

There are several ways that our squadron plans to honor these men. Many of our Marines will be traveling to Alaska, North Carolina, and Massachusetts for funeral services this week. They will present each family with a shadow box which will enclose an American flag, the Marine's name, and all of his medals. Then later in November once the entire squadron returns from deployment, there will be a memorial for all 4 at Camp Pendleton. In addition to this, the squadron is having plaques made for each of the fallen to be placed in Mount Soledad Memorial in San Diego (Mount Soledad Memorial Association).

Many of you have asked what you can do to help make this tragic situation any better. We spouses of HMLA 169 have chosen to raise money for a memorial fund to help offset costs that the squadron and our Marine families are incurring. Our hopes are to help pay for some of our Marines to attend their close friend's funeral who can't otherwise afford it. We also would like to help purchase the shadow boxes which are being hand made for each family and fund the plaques for Mt Soledad. We also plan to donate flowers for the funerals and the memorial. Our estimated expenses are $2750 for travel, $1440 for the shadow boxes, $2400-4000 for the plaques, and $500 for flowers for a total of $7090-8690.

If you choose, a donation can be made to "HMLA 169 Officers Spouses Club" and your money will go directly to our efforts to honor our Marines.

Checks should be made out to "HMLA 169 Officers Spouses Club" and mailed to:
Lisa Dolan
4190 Via Mar de Delfinas
San Diego, CA 92130

jrhammo169

appreciation...

I drive a Dodge Diesel...but in reply to the post you made about my brothers from HMLA-169, I had to join this forum. Thank you so much for the appreciation given here. Four of my friends and brothers were lost in this crash and it is nice to see that it has not gone unnoticed. So, again, thank you.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I drive a Dodge Diesel...but in reply to the post you made about my brothers from HMLA-169, I had to join this forum. Thank you so much for the appreciation given here. Four of my friends and brothers were lost in this crash and it is nice to see that it has not gone unnoticed. So, again, thank you.

We have quite a number of military here. and more than a few contractors out here in iraq ... really sucked and then the incident today .... what a tragedy

Users who are viewing this thread