Race star on bias ply and bad vibration on highway

mustang_guy

Established Member
Hey guys, last year I bought a new set of Darkstars and put new M&H 28 inch tall skinnies on 17x4 fronts and 28 inch tall ET Streets on the rear. I had all four wheels balanced but when I was driving to the track the shake in the car was beyond brutal. Any idea what the issue may be?
Bad balancing or should I just remove the wheel weights all together?

4VFTW

Established Member
either bad balancing or if the car sat on the tires for a year they could be out of round and need some miles on them to get them back in shape.

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member
15" rears? Did you check and make sure all the wheel weights are still there?

86merc

Established Member
My guess you didn't use a hubcentric spacer. With out them they can be mounted off center of the hub and cause a nasty vibration.

mustang_guy

Established Member
Yeah 15 inch rears.

I didn't use front spacers but I did out the plastic ring around the front hub that came with the wheels

86merc

Established Member
The plastic things that go over the hub are the hubcentric rings. With out them my vibrations were bad. Using the rings made the vibrations much less. But they were still there. I didn't look much further into the issue as I ended up buying Weld RT-S wheel. No hubcentric rings needed for them and they are vibration free. Hopefully you can figure it out.

Can you tell if it is the fronts or rears causing the vibration? Maybe try the front and rears one at a time to see if you can isolate the issue.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
Dude what psi do you have in the tires? That is the main thing that had my car shaking and me worried about driving on the road. Added psi and problem solved.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
if you have been to the track with it the rim will spin inside the tire usally 1/2'' per pass...IMO take the weights off

mustang_guy

Established Member
Thanks guys. I had the front re balanced yesterday and I took the weights off the rear. Hopefully it will solve the issue. I will
Update after the weekend

badams03

Established Member
Dude what psi do you have in the tires? That is the main thing that had my car shaking and me worried about driving on the road. Added psi and problem solved.

This exactly.
Mine had a slight vibration and noticed the front tires were a little low, added a few pounds and voila, vibration gone.

mustang_guy

Established Member

I believe from what I remember I had 25 or 30 psi in the rear while on the street and about 35 in the front

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
if you have been to the track with it the rim will spin inside the tire usally 1/2'' per pass...IMO take the weights off

I just tried Permatex High-Tack on the beads of my slicks, the slipping is gone and now rear wheels stay balanced. Much better!

Users who are viewing this thread