Race Star Wheels - Weight thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Everyone who has Race Star wheels, please post in this thread. I'm wanting to know

1. How much each wheel weighs (with tires mounted).

2. What size wheel setup you are running (front and rear - rim and tire size included).

I want to know how much weight I will shed from my Shelby by buying a set, and deciding what tire sizes to run.

Last edited:

wenger828

Established Member
i figured i wouldnt start a new thread for this, but why do most people get the skinnies in the front? cant you just run the drags in the back?

Zacharyx

Established Member
can't help on the weight with tires but here is just the wheels
15x3.75 ( 11#)
15x8 5.5bs (14#)
15x10 6.5bs (15#)
15x12 (17#)
15x14(19#)
17x4.5 2.25bs (15.2#)
17x9.5 7bs ( 20#)

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
15x10 6.5bs (15#)

17x4.5 2.25bs (15.2#)

Odd how the 15x10 and 17x4.5 weigh the same. Thanks for the info.

So it's safe to assume that you will drop ~60 lbs. from the weight of a Shelby (15 lbs. lighter per wheel). Wheels only considered here.

Now I need to know the weight of tire setups people normally use with these wheels.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Less Rotational mass = faster times!

More tire side wall means more wrinkle from a launch, more wrinkle means better traction and lower 60' times. This is assuming an 18x11 widened SVT wheel versus a 15x10 Race Star.

My only legit gripe about Race Star wheels....

I HATE POLISHING WHEELS! I want to wash, dry, and GO! I don't think that's going to happen with polished Race Stars. I wonder what the aftermarket powder coating options would be.

Last edited:

Zacharyx

Established Member

I HATE POLISHING WHEELS! I want to wash, dry, and GO! I don't think that's going to happen with polished Race Stars. I wonder what the aftermarket powder coating options would be.

polish them once and have them clear powercoated ( or call Mirror Polish and see what they would charge) I did the chrome/polished/shiney thing when I had my truck, after a year or keeping it up I polished it all cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and clear coated all of it

jimh

Established Member
More tire side wall means more wrinkle from a launch, more wrinkle means better traction and lower 60' times. This is assuming an 18x11 widened SVT wheel versus a 15x10 Race Star.

Also, the extra inches in sidewall rubber is much lighter than the extra inches for rim height. 17x9 weights a little more than a 15x14. Plus the weight is closer to the center with a shorter rim.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I have really considered doing the spokes on mine black and leaving the lip and center black, just not sure yet and would hate not like it.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
China wheels ftl

Whats wrong with wheels made in China? The factory svtp wheels are made in China along with who knows how many other things on the GT500. Not bashing other wheel brands but the Race Star wheels are nice for the cost. For something you just swap on for a few passes every few weeks for the track they work perfect.

I run the 15/10s with 28" m/t slicks out back and the 17/4.5s with m&h front runners. No issues with them at all and I get complaments on them all the time. I will try and get a pic up.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Whats wrong with wheels made in China? The factory svtp wheels are made in China along with who knows how many other things on the GT500. Not bashing other wheel brands but the Race Star wheels are nice for the cost. For something you just swap on for a few passes every few weeks for the track they work perfect.

I agree 100%, and wanted to comment about the "China wheels ftl" as well. I knew that the OEM wheels are all made in China (and a lot of aftermarkets wheels), but left it unsaid.

I will try and get a pic up.

Try harder!

:D

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
pic:

2011GT500RaceStarwheels.jpg

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
Has anyone noticed a decrease in stopping power without a full size tire on the front of their car?

Oh, and thanks for the pick *right click - save as* hehe!

No prob. I wouldn't run skinnies on the front around town but at the track they work fine. Less contact patch on the front means less stopping power.

Users who are viewing this thread