Race Star Wheels - Weight thread

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
No prob. I wouldn't run skinnies on the front around town but at the track they work fine. Less contact patch on the front means less stopping power.

I agree, as I have experience with skinnies on a 99 Trans Am back in the day. The reason why I ask....

This question was presented to a few local owners of Race Stars, and they felt that the stopping power was the same. Their answer made me look like this...:dw:

Guess they haven't had the need to dig into the brakes hard yet with skinnies on the front. I've had encounters before on the street that almost made me poop myself in the past running them.

Zacharyx

Established Member
I agree 100%, and wanted to comment about the "China wheels ftl" as well. I knew that the OEM wheels are all made in China (and a lot of aftermarkets wheels), but left it unsaid.

Try harder!

:D

While I wish they were US made, they would cost more than the Weld versions and be out of the reach for most of us

Zacharyx

Established Member
Oh, so the 17x7 will not fit on the Brembo brakes of the GT500.

That sucks!

Since they have not been produced no one knows what they will fit, I am trying to get my hands on the wheels from my friend so I can test them on every car I can get my hands on so anyone near SAV can participate. as long as the hoop doesn't change much I don't see why they will not fit. I have a brembo braked 11 GT I can touch anytime I want so it would be first in the shoot

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The bias ply tire may be 2" taller, but I'm going to stick with the 26" radial. I will have to get use to the raked look when the drag setup is installed.

I'm not to keen driving on bias ply tires. On another note....

What's the consensus of Mickey Thompson 325/50/15 versus M&H 325/50/15?

What tire should I choose, and why?

**I also calculated that I would lose 94.5 lbs. by upgrading to the Race Star setup**

Last edited:

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I'm considering the 17x7 in front with a wider street radial tire instead, since I don't track the car that much.

Me too, but everyone seems to be running skinnies up front. I'm also looking for a way to cut weight but the wheels have to be street friendly too. I really like the style and price of the Racestars, just wish there was a good 7-8" wide wheel to run up front so we can use normal street radials.

Does ANYONE have the aformentioned setup without skinnies in the front???

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Me too, but everyone seems to be running skinnies up front. I'm also looking for a way to cut weight but the wheels have to be street friendly too. I really like the style and price of the Racestars, just wish there was a good 7-8" wide wheel to run up front so we can use normal street radials.

Does ANYONE have the aformentioned setup without skinnies in the front???

The 17x7 won't be available until later in the summer. Here are my thoughts on it. The 185/55/17 is the same width as the front and rear tires on my 1994 Corsica beater car. I have no problems driving that car, and the Corsica's tires have a taller side wall meaning more flex. Yes, I understand that my Shelby is much heavier, but I'm not a corner carver.

I think driving with caution, and the skinnies would be fine. Now if you wanted to keep them on all the time, then the 17x7 would be a safer option, but it would weigh more of course.

Zacharyx

Established Member
Only other Race Star option would be a 17x9.5 up front, and they should be back mid may

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Took a couple of pics today. Race Star 15x10" with 7.5" backspace, M&H Racemaster 325/50/15 Drag Radial. *Had to add Steeda rear sway bar relocation brackets.*

0430011327.jpg

0430011327a.jpg

bossnova3

Established Member
Hey unleashed is your car lowered, and if so which springs are you using. We have exactly the same car. What's your email I'll send you pics, for whatever reason when I try posting them in the forums they are very small....

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey unleashed is your car lowered, and if so which springs are you using. We have exactly the same car. What's your email I'll send you pics, for whatever reason when I try posting them in the forums they are very small....

Yes, the car is lowered 1.25" with Steeda Competition Springs.

PM'ed you my email

Users who are viewing this thread