Radiator hose damaged, check yours now!

dkd58

Established Member
I read about this in the Terminator FAQ and decided to check it out for myself. Sure as s**t, the radiator hose was swinging free and had sustained a deep groove in the outer jacket from coming in to contact with one of the lower pulleys. Run your hand down the back and feel for damage. the main hose should be held to the upright support post thingamabob with a black clip thingamajig, mine wasn't so either the clip was never put on or it fell off. I secured the hose to the post with a cable-lok cord and drove it to Ford and guess what? The hose is on a national backorder! They showed me the clip that is supposed to be on there. They wanted me to leave the car with them (NOT) until the hose arrived- that was last Thursday. By the way, my car was built in May of '02 and was an early production run so maybe this was a quality control issue, who knows? LMK if any of you find or have already found this problem.

dkd58

Established Member
BTW, as long as I'm replacing a hose anyway, does anyone know where to get silicone radiator hoses designed specifically for the '03 Cobra? Thanks

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Ghetto fix - Take a short piece of old hose, cut it end to end, and wrap it around the area where it's rubbing.

dkd58

Established Member
I will not be surprised when radiator hoses start blowing in the next 6-12 months, or maybe mine was a fluke. Anyway, hose came in today, install tomorrow.

SonicBlue03

Established Member
Well I'z be a sunzubich!

I remember reading about this a while back, but I guess I forgot all about it after she went into storage. Sure enough, the plastic webbing was cut through, and there's a hair deep scratch in the hose itself. It's tied up now, but is the scratch worth worrying about?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Just looked at my car. (built 9-02), the hose is tied to the radiator support, and the hose is lined with a snakeskin type liner to protect it also. :beer:

Brian

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by SonicBlue03
Well I'z be a sunzubich!

I remember reading about this a while back, but I guess I forgot all about it after she went into storage. Sure enough, the plastic webbing was cut through, and there's a hair deep scratch in the hose itself. It's tied up now, but is the scratch worth worrying about?

It's covered under warranty so why mess with it?

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
The hose on mine is wrapped in that snakeskin material and its held to the coolant tank in 2 places with a metal wire.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by dkd58
It's covered under warranty so why mess with it?

Because sitting on the side of the road, who knows when and where would suck. :)

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R
Because sitting on the side of the road, who knows when and where would suck. :)

I was responding to Sonicblue03 who asked; "Sure enough, the plastic webbing was cut through, and there's a hair deep scratch in the hose itself,... but is the scratch worth worrying about?"

I was saying he should just get it fixed under warranty and not mess around with it.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
They must have had the same bozo's working on the assembly line for the last couple of years. My 99 was missing the tie to radiator support and the 03 had it, and this also was an issue with the 99-01 guys too. Just zip-tie the hose to the radiator support (I used 2 at the time just to be sure). Some people mentioned duct tape, but I wouldn't trust tape in the kind of enviornment that area sees.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by dkd58
I was responding to Sonicblue03 who asked; "Sure enough, the plastic webbing was cut through, and there's a hair deep scratch in the hose itself,... but is the scratch worth worrying about?"

I was saying he should just get it fixed under warranty and not mess around with it.

Sorry, my mistake. :beer:

dkd58

Established Member
Just got back from Ford. They did the repair while I waited. They wouldn't let me keep the old hose though. I was going to take a picture of the damaged area for you guys. While I was there, I checked out a new vert on the showroom floor. It had a black tie wrap instead of the metal clip so maybe Ford ran out of clips or they stopped using them because they seem to fall off! BTW, I saw another '03 on a lift with a blown engine. The mechanic said the guy was using aviation fuel or some crazy s**t! The car had about every kind of suspension and brake mod you could imagine. Ford voided the warranty due to the chip, primarily. The plugs were black and melted. What a mess!

Users who are viewing this thread