Ram Air Hood MaF Turbulence Fix?

Blaine

Established Member
I have the TrueFiber Venom Hood which has Ram Air like the Supersnake hood which is known to cause alot of Turbulence with the MaF meter.

I know that with the Supersnake Hood they just added a screen between the intake and the MaF to fix the problem. I'm also using the C & L intake. I tried putting the screen in the intake, but it didn't solve the problem. So far I have to keep the Ram Air Blocked off to avoid driveability problems.

Runs fine with the RAM Air on WoT, but normal cruising over 40+ mph when you let off the throttle the car will die due to crazy MaF readings due to the turbulence.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do besides keeping the Ram Air blocked?:read:

Van@RevanRacing

I have the TrueFiber Venom Hood which has Ram Air like the Supersnake hood which is known to cause alot of Turbulence with the MaF meter.

I know that with the Supersnake Hood they just added a screen between the intake and the MaF to fix the problem. I'm also using the C & L intake. I tried putting the screen in the intake, but it didn't solve the problem. So far I have to keep the Ram Air Blocked off to avoid driveability problems.

Runs fine with the RAM Air on WoT, but normal cruising over 40+ mph when you let off the throttle the car will die due to crazy MaF readings due to the turbulence.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do besides keeping the Ram Air blocked?:read:

I don't have a picture but SAI did have an issue with the Super Snakes initially. So the solution was a piece of plastic with a series of 1" hole in the plastic to allow some of the air through. They eventually made it part of the mold for the hoods. Hope this helps.

Blaine

Established Member
Problem is easily solved by blocking the RAM Air, but the intake temps really drop fast using the Ram Air at speed.

I think I'll just make a rubber flap over the inlet and redirect the RAM Air onto the engine instead of into the intake. At least its cooling the engine instead of nothing.

Blaine

Established Member
Problem fixed.

I fabricated a plastic flap that directs the RAM'ed air from the hood into the side of the intake's heat shield instead of dumping it right on top the intake filter creating all the turbulence.

wickedstangs

Established Member
postpics.gif

Blaine

Established Member
A good tuner can fix it for you. The old 03/04 cobras had the same issue with the fender mount JLT CAI.

Not sure if a tuner can. Mine tried a few different tunes to smooth it out and was unable to. Car would die when you let out of the gas and depressed the clutch at over 40 mph. Even tried the screen.

Cars with Supersnake Hoods and KB's had the same problems. Their answer to fix the problems was a screen before the MaF which smoothed out the air turbulence until Shelby Changed the hood design to fix it. This worked for them since the KB intake and MaF were closer together then the C & L intake which has the MaF in the middle of the intake tube.

Fender mount would be easier to fix since air is coming from one direction. With the hood air is coming from above, side, and below the intake causing mayhem with the MaF's airflow. I guess in a way the air would collide in the intake from 3 directions. With the flap I made it direct the Hood Air in the direction the fender air would be coming from cutting back on the amount of air colliding and causing air distortion. I'm no air flow expect by no means, but in theory I thought it would work.. and it worked out for a quick easy fix. If only I had a wind tunnel I could use.:shrug:

I plan on going TT's this winter so hood won't do anything but cool the engine bay.

I'll try to get a pic up of what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread