RAM TRX debut

john11gt

Established Member
That dude was short about 20" of travel, 4.0 bypasses, 2.5 hydro bumps, limit straps... Oh and a tube chassis.

Just think, you'll see this same video repeated only 10 feet higher and 40 feet longer soon.

I’m pretty sure the guys spine made up for the lack of suspension travel lol

blk02edge

Established Member
Cue the mike Tyson quote.

I give the guy props for going full send the first shot and not easing into it like any other sane person would.
Some kid on their cr250 probably provoked him. First TRX I see I will provoke them with "my ranger can do that" and then film the fail

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
This is how I imagine RAM TRX owners show off their trucks to Raptor owners:

I'm not 100% sure my truck will fit in my garage after this 4" lift I just put on her, lol. Luckily I don't park in there as I keep my Mustang in there. But every now and then I take her in there for this or that. Guess we shall see tomorrow! LOL

kaz109

Established Member
So much to unpack but here is my opinion/take on the ram trx @john11gt @csc427 @RedVenom48 @My94GT

I love the interior and I feel it is class leading and I love the motor. I have always felt the hellcat motor is better suited in a truck as I don't find enjoyment in a car with a redline on the wrong side of 6500rpm

I feel like this trx has a chance to be just as capable as a gen 2 raptor off road ( which this category is all about) which comes as a shock to me as it seems they put more leg work into it than I thought they would.

I feel the exterior is bland in the looks department the Raptors kills the TRX.

The negatives for me ......well the biggest negative for me is , Ram did JUST Enough to get by and as the saying goes when you do just enough to get by it's never enough. IMO ram copied and pasted all of the gen 2 raptor specs and matched it then added a 702HP SC V8 which for some/most is all they needed to do but at a 20k premium. 0-60 is the last measurement you should be looking at in this segment but the reality is it is a top selling point so with the 450hp EcoBoost it turns a 5.5 and the 702 HP big 6.2 SC V8 turns 4.5.....so all that extra HP makes for a 1 sec difference. So a tuned only EcoBoost can hit that number ....then ppl will say " yea well you can pulley the and tune the trx " etc etc....but the fact of the matter is they both can be made to go faster on pavement and the results will likely be the same.......

So with that said you are paying a 20k premium for sound. You are paying 20k more because your truck sounds better and 20k more because your truck is 1 sec faster on pavement in which neither truck was designed for.

Me personally if I didnt have either truck I would buy the TRX , that 20k is worth it to me for the V8 since on paper it seems like the trx matches the raptor in all off road capabilities( even though I do wonder how the 1k of extra weight would affect the driving experience) and I do question why Ram didn't send the TRX to the baja 1000 .

I have a 2020 raptor so for me personally I don't see the need as I have the same off road capabilities and I am a tune away from matching this TRX pavement performance.

To those that I mentioned, is having a SC V8 worth a 20k premium to you? A TRX is roughly 20k more than a Gen 2 raptor of the same spec.......

My94GT

Established Member
So much to unpack but here is my opinion/take on the ram trx @john11gt @csc427 @RedVenom48 @My94GT

I love the interior and I feel it is class leading and I love the motor. I have always felt the hellcat motor is better suited in a truck as I don't find enjoyment in a car with a redline on the wrong side of 6500rpm

I feel like this trx has a chance to be just as capable as a gen 2 raptor off road ( which this category is all about) which comes as a shock to me as it seems they put more leg work into it than I thought they would.

The negatives for me ......well the biggest negative for me is , Ram did JUST Enough to get by and as the saying goes when you do just enough to get by it's never enough. IMO ram copied and pasted all of the gen 2 raptor specs and matched it then added a 702HP SC V8 which for some/most is all they needed to do but at a 20k premium. 0-60 is the last measurement you should be looking at in this segment but the reality is it is a top selling point so with the 450hp EcoBoost it turns a 5.5 and the 702 HP big 6.2 SC V8 turns 4.5.....so all that extra HP makes for a 1 sec difference. So a tuned only EcoBoost can hit that number ....then ppl will say " yea well you can pulley the and tune the trx " etc etc....but the fact of the matter is they both can be made to go faster on pavement and the results will likely be the same.......

So with that said you are paying a 20k premium for sound. You are paying 20k more because your truck sounds better and 20k more because your truck is 1 sec faster on pavement in which neither truck was designed for.

Me personally if I didnt have either truck I would buy the TRX , that 20k is worth it to me for the V8 since on paper it seems like the trx matches the raptor in all off road capabilities( even though I do wonder how the 1k of extra weight would affect the driving experience) and I do question why Ram didn't send the TRX to the baja 1000 .

I have a 2020 raptor so for me personally I don't see the need as I have the same off road capabilities and I am a tune away from matching this TRX pavement performance.

To those that I mentioned, is having a SC V8 worth a 20k premium to you? A TRX is roughly 20k more than a Gen 2 raptor of the same spec.......

i will agree it seems they did enough to get by but maybe that just speaks to how well done the raptor is.

as far as looks, well that’s subjective but the reality is they did the same thing ford did, wider fenders and bed sides to accommodate the wider track and a different grille and hood. I think the difference is RAM basically made a beefy looking rebel so we were expecting a greater variation say like the FX4 and raptor.

I definitely agree in the right hands this TRX is likely every bit as capable as the raptor because to me what was changed to accomplish the end product is pretty much similar components. I also think much like has happened to raptors or even more so, some TRX owners will go full send and wad these up.

as far as the performance aspect, I would be inclined to think it won’t matter much but it will sound great on the street so yes that’s an appeal to someone like myself. I think to some it’ll be worth 20k more, for me if I didn’t already own a truck id be more inclined to buy.

as of now I have a 19 ram Laramie with pretty much every option including air suspension which I have found very handy for my needs and use. I daily drive it and do no real off road driving so the TRX and raptor is more than I need and it caused me to walk from the raptor already. I will be watching the market for the TRX and if I start seeing the 8-10k off I’d be motivated to consider trading up but unless that happens I don’t see enough upside to it currently.

john11gt

Established Member
If they had the guts to throw the 5.2SC in there, Ram would have no bragging rights on how fast it is.
Even a 650hp Raptor would beat the Ram in the 60/QM.

how do you figure? I doubt ford would put the DCT in the raptor and with the extra weight of the engine plus all the cooling stuff, upgraded axles, it probably wouldn’t be one sided like you think.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
As someone who has wanted to do a motor swap in a JKU for a decade now, a 20k premium for it to come that way from the factory (with a warranty, and FF rear axle) is a fair deal IMO. Jeeple have kept Motech in Vegas lined out the door with in-house 25-30k motor swaps for years now.

I do really like the raptor, I just think the noise would kill me slowly on the inside.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Let's wait to see how it actually performs before declaring anything. Lots of you are putting the cart before the horse.
I

csc427

Established Member

Totally agree on just about every point. I prefer the look of the raptor as well but probably not by a huge margin as I think they look somewhat similar. I think if you currently have a raptor, that means you have no issues with the ecoboost motor and I couldn’t see making a change. The way I would build the two trucks comes $75k vs $84k. Luxury, carbon, etc. so a realistic $9k difference is nothing at that price range. Would be a no brainer for me if I were buying one today (TRX). ESP for the far nicer interior and superior motor. Now if we can get ford to throw the gt500 motor in there for $10k that would make things different.

Last edited:

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Me on the F150 forums...lets see who bites. ;)
"Truck Enthusiast > Ford Enthusiast. Some of you are Ford Enthusiast and it shows. The TRX is going to kill the Raptor. Right off the bat Huge CI supercharged engine or small CI and baby turbos. LOL Did you hear that exhaust? DAMN! But yeah...go Ford. Call it like I see it....TRX is a beast and looks like a crap ton more fun! If that hurts your feelings you know which category you belong to."

Recon

Established Member
Me on the F150 forums...lets see who bites. ;)
"Truck Enthusiast > Ford Enthusiast. Some of you are Ford Enthusiast and it shows. The TRX is going to kill the Raptor. Right off the bat Huge CI supercharged engine or small CI and baby turbos. LOL Did you hear that exhaust? DAMN! But yeah...go Ford. Call it like I see it....TRX is a beast and looks like a crap ton more fun! If that hurts your feelings you know which category you belong to."

giphy.gif

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread