RAM TRX debut

bigdave03svt

Established Member
Truck's a beast for sure but loaded that bitch will be north ok 90k all day. I wish they would have ran one through the Baja 1000 like ford did with the gen 2 Raptor

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Truck's a beast for sure but loaded that bitch will be north ok 90k all day. I wish they would have ran one through the Baja 1000 like ford did with the gen 2 Raptor
They made just enough statements to make it seem like they did. To the general passerby they will think it did. I can't believe one of the modes they have is called Baja...they couldn't have come up with something original?
I too what hoping for some cool 3D model graphics of the suspension upgrades and changes.

I'm sure more info will be coming out. I guess they glossed over it since the intended audience for this "launch hype" likely don't care or don't have context.
I think it is because they didn't do anything spectacular. This is literally "we have big V8 powah RoAr T-rEx eAt RaPta!"

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Weight is for sure part of it, but do you have any idea what accelerating with 35" tires is like?
Lots of people seem to not understand how much power a heavy ass wheel/tire combo will eat up.
Its not uncommon to lose 50+ lb/ft at the wheels when going from a stock style wheel/tire to a 35" off road set up like this.

Lets be real, the 450 HP Raptor does what, 5.5 0-60? 13.8 1/4 mile? Kia's do that :)

I do as my DD has 35’s. But my comparison is not not exactly apples to apples as my truck is a diesel. In the ole butt dyno I didn’t feel my truck lose any acceleration going to 35’s, but I felt it in the wallet going from 16 to 9mpg. And going 500+ miles on a tank to 350-400 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IA Shelby

Established Member
This will of course eat into some raptor sales but I will be surprised if it sells more than the raptor.

I think it comes up short in most aspects IMO. To those that want it, more power to you. I am sure you will enjoy it immensely.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
3.55 according to the website.
Pricing is out on ramtrucks.com

A tuned Gen2 or SC Gen1 with similar power levels beats the TRX numbers...
Right, and then a tuned TRX will probably destroy both of them. Then swap the pulley on the TRX and 30 minutes later it will certainly kill both of them.

Let’s not start down the “my modded version of the older vehicle will beat the stock version of the new one” road....
Lol.

My94GT

Established Member
This will of course eat into some raptor sales but I will be surprised if it sells more than the raptor.

I think it comes up short in most aspects IMO. To those that want it, more power to you. I am sure you will enjoy it immensely.
Out of curiosity, where do you think it falls short?

bigja01cobra

Established Member
2021 Ram 1500 TRX 2020 Ford F-150 Raptor
Shocks 2.5-Inch Bilstein 3.0-Inch Fox
Ground Clearance 11.8 Inches 11.5 Inches
Approach Angle 30.2 Degrees 30.2 Degrees
Breakover Angle 21.9 Degrees 22.9 Degrees
Departure Angle 23.5 Degrees 23.1 Degrees
Suspension Travel 13.0 (Front) / 14.0 (Rear) Inches 13.0 (Front) / 13.9 (Rear) Inches
Water Fording 32.0 Inches 32.0 Inches

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member

3" shocks vs 2.5" shocks
4.10 gears vs 3.55 gears
3.5L Twin Turbo V6 vs 6.2L Supercharged V8
450 HP vs 705 HP
10 speed vs 8 speed

Both have factory 35s
Both have 13" front travel stock

All angles, travel and fording are similar.

How does it come up short?

bigja01cobra

Established Member
Looks like a home run to me. Will have to see some side by side off road comparisons but all the specs look very close with ram having the engine and interior on lock.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

The price point is what will kill them to have a TRX similarly optioned to my Raptor is $90K+TTL. Mine was $75K including TTL.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
TRX vs. Raptor

Rubicon vs Bronco

Holy crap, what a year. There is going to be some salty feelings on both sides. I'm staying out of it. BTW, where is Chevrolet in all of this? Let the good times flow, hahahaha.

Trail Boss haha! :)

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
The price point is what will kill them to have a TRX similarly optioned to my Raptor is $90K+TTL. Mine was $75K including TTL.

The base price is $69,990. That 90K is for the launch edition. They will sell everyone of them. Just wait, when Ford drops that GT500 engine in, the price will go up. It's inevitable. Look at the GT500. People complained about the high cost of the Demon, until they saw the prices of the GT500, loaded.

bigdave03svt

Established Member
3" shocks vs 2.5" shocks
4.10 gears vs 3.55 gears
3.5L Twin Turbo V6 vs 6.2L Supercharged V8
450 HP vs 705 HP
10 speed vs 8 speed

Both have factory 35s
Both have 13" front travel stock

All angles, travel and fording are similar.

How does it come up short?

Exactly! It's essentially the same truck with a v8 and uglier hood. They only had 10 years to get it right so I wouldn't expect anything less. I like it and its good for us that there's competition in that market now. Better trucks should follow! The Gen 3 Raptor is just around the corner and the cycle will continue. I think the Raptor looks better but the Ram interior is LEGIT!

I'm also curious to see how well that engine handles hours of romping through the hot ass desert

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Right, and then a tuned TRX will probably destroy both of them. Then swap the pulley on the TRX and 30 minutes later it will certainly kill both of them.

Let’s not start down the “my modded version of the older vehicle will beat the stock version of the new one” road....
Lol.
I only bring it up because you're saying the stock wheel/tire combo is what is holding it back despite the power level. Overall weight obviously plays a huge roll here. Which is why I laugh at their shock choice.
The base price is $69,990. That 90K is for the launch edition. They will sell everyone of them. Just wait, when Ford drops that GT500 engine in, the price will go up. It's inevitable. Look at the GT500. People complained about the high cost of the Demon, until they saw the prices of the GT500, loaded.
Did you miss where I said similarly optioned? And no that was not the launch edition.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Super sick truck. I priced one out... $86k+. Is it really worth $25k over a Power Wagon just so you can go really fast in a truck? Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread