Ran a 5.0 tonight in my new C6 GS LS3.......

Devil_Z

Established Member
Originally a muscle car was defined as a midsize car with the largest v8 engine offerings of the day. The Mustang, Camaro and Challanger we not midsize car. So they were considered "pony cars". They were small 2 door cars that still had v8 engines in them.

The muscle cars back then were good for strait racing. Nothing else. They were nose heavy and handled poorly and had brakes that were not up to the job of slowing these large cars with the power they had. The pony cars were lighter and made decent power but handled much better than then their muscle car brethren. Now decades later we have small engines making big power numbers in the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro. Not only do these cars outrun the old muscle cars but they out handle and brake them as well. Well rounded cars like the old pony cars. But by the original definition the Mustang, Camaro and Challanger would be pony cars. The Charger would be considered a muscle car because it is a mid size car and has the largest v8 motor the company manufactures in it.

I think people think the term "pony car" isn't mescaline enough. So they prefer the term "muscle car". Bottom line who cares what people call one car or another. haha There is no real right or wrong answer because as times change the original definitions or formulas do not work in the current offerings. Especially since emissions and fuel economy forced manufactures to make smaller and more efficient motors. They address the power numbers by adding forced induction. Who is gonna cry over that? Really? lmao

I'd rather have a car that makes big power N/A then add FI to it if that's the route I want to go to be honest.

86merc

Established Member
I hear that. The Coyote makes good N/A power. Add boost and you make crazy power. But you are limited by the shortblock as far as how big you can go. Where as the 03/04 cobra or GT500 is just a blower upgrade away from making big power. And the motor is OK with it (to a point lol). But then again you pay more for the GT500 to be able to get those good parts. Any way you look at it you are going to have to spend the money to make the power. Just two different ways of getting there.

cababah

Established Member
Doesn't matter if it's the first or the five hundred thousandth one I think of.

It's STILL a muscle car, and it doesn't have a huge V8 in it either. So, your blanket statement has been disproved. :-D

Why? Because your definition of a "muscle car" is different than mine? Thanks for your opinion, unfortunately it does jack shit to mine since all I offered was my opinion. Far from being a blanket statement.... You do know how opinions work, right? :rolleyes:
^^^^^^STUPID^^^^^^^^:shrug:

You sure you didn't come from the import crowd?

Last edited:

Sick03Vert

Banned
Why? Because your definition of a "muscle car" is different than mine? Thanks for your opinion, unfortunately it does jack shit to mine since all I offered was my opinion. Far from being a blanket statement.... You do know how opinions work, right? :rolleyes:

Yeah...I do. Is there a point you're trying to make or something?

You said, "Muscle cars need big displacement engines."

That's a bullshit statement. The 289, Buick GN, and many other cars don't need killer displacement to be a muscle car.

Mustang GT's are muscle cars...so are Cobras.

So, yes, you are entitled to your opinion...even if it is obviously incorrect in this case.:loser:

SixPak

Established Member
Lol yeah. The only real issue I have with the corvette is the "corvette tax". The CAI's are $500 and the axle backs(same setup as the mustang) are $1000. Luckily though this car only has 1 cam, and I can get one of those for $400. And if I can install it, then I will be good for some big cheap power with one. And headers are gonna run $1600 for a nice set. But yeah I guess its time to start laundering money from my own account again....LOLOL But I think the wife got wise. I work from home now and have no need to "spend money" on lunch and gas anymore. So If I hit the ATM and take cash out every day again, she would be like where the **** are you spending that cash at??

Being a previous owner of 2 corvettes, I understand firsthand corvette tax.
However, I have to add that if you we're to race a 5.0 from say, 60 to 160, this is where the corvette is in its Zone. A Corvette at 120 is just beginning to shine.
Not to mention my 99 C5 averaged 27 mpg, and got 21 mpg at a steady 120 mph. My '06 Z51 did not get the mpg that my C5 got, but made up for it in speed.
I would still be a die-hard GM fan except for the Corvette tax, and the fact that the new 5.0's just flat out out perform GM and Chrysler pound for pound, and are cheaper to mod.
True, Camaro's and Vette's can be made faster, but at much greater expense, and everyone knows when you race, things break and need to be replaced.
I would probably be in another corvette now except for the fact that GM took the bailout money and Ford did not. And GM cooked the books and lied to the general public when they said repaid the US Taxpayers, of which I am one.
So for now, I proudly say I own Ford products, and will for the foreseeable future.

PS; Keep in mind when changing that cam that you'll need to pull your steering gear to make room to pull your crank pulley, et al, so that adds a day or $1500.00 to that $400.00 camshaft, in case you were wondering.:bored:

blackvette101

Established Member
However, I have to add that if you we're to race a 5.0 from say, 60 to 160, this is where the corvette is in its Zone. A Corvette at 120 is just beginning to shine.
Not to mention my 99 C5 averaged 27 mpg, and got 21 mpg at a steady 120 mph. My '06 Z51 did not get the mpg that my C5 got, but made up for it in speed.
I would still be a die-hard GM fan except for the Corvette tax, and the fact that the new 5.0's just flat out out perform GM and Chrysler pound for pound, and are cheaper to mod.
True, Camaro's and Vette's can be made faster, but at much greater expense, and everyone knows when you race, things break and need to be replaced.
I would probably be in another corvette now except for the fact that GM took the bailout money and Ford did not. And GM cooked the books and lied to the general public when they said repaid the US Taxpayers, of which I am one.
So for now, I proudly say I own Ford products, and will for the foreseeable future.

PS; Keep in mind when changing that cam that you'll need to pull your steering gear to make room to pull your crank pulley, et al, so that adds a day or $1500.00 to that $400.00 camshaft, in case you were wondering.:bored:

Yeah the fourth gear of the corvette wrecks people. Most cars shift into overdrive around 120 well the corvette holds 4th to 150+ mph that plus the aerodynamics do work on other cars. Also with any decent sized cam you will need valve springs which definitely add to the headache during installation. Every LS engine really needs heads/cam/headers and when they get it they are all nasty fast.

Devil_Z

Established Member
Yeah the fourth gear of the corvette wrecks people. Most cars shift into overdrive around 120 well the corvette holds 4th to 150+ mph that plus the aerodynamics do work on other cars. Also with any decent sized cam you will need valve springs which definitely add to the headache during installation. Every LS engine really needs heads/cam/headers and when they get it they are all nasty fast.
Stock z06 gearing@7000 +/- 2 mph or so:
1st 65
2nd 95
3rd 125
4th 165
5th 216

Last edited:

Devil_Z

Established Member
I posted for C5 and base C6 but that's spot on for the Z

I love the gearing in the c6z. I thought it was slow at first because I was used to the c5z and doing 3rd gear pulls @ 60-70, but once I drove the c6 and became familiar I appreciate the taller gears.

Not to side track too much, but are your side markers/taillights blacked out? I can't decide if I want to leave them red or not.

Last edited:

Devil_Z

Established Member
4th went to 134 in the c5 m6 iirc... where does the 150 come from?

This should be pretty close to c5z mph @ 6500; I've never driven a base c5, but I believe the gearing/redline should be the same.

1st 50mph
2nd 70mph
3rd 104mph
4th 150mph
5th 180mph

blackvette101

Established Member
I love the gearing in the c6z. I thought it was slow at first because I was used to the c5z and doing 3rd gear pulls @ 60-70, but once I drove the c6 and became familiar I appreciate the taller gears.

Not to side track too much, but are your side markers/taillights blacked out? I can't decide if I want to leave them red or not.

ya everything is blacked out I love having all my cars this way. Black side markers, black taillights, black (spray painted) license plate, black wheels and limo tint all the way around and 40% on the front. It looks crazy if your car is black.

clbailey

Established Member

Ford didnt take bail out government money but they took in a huge loan from 2nd and 3rd party sources.

I dont care for gm products other than the vette because they will slap ss on anything now days to increase sales. And it seems their design teams have no connection to each other or a real care about the final product. Have you seen the 14 camaro and the design of the rwd sport coupe they might build? Just dont care for gm products anymore, though I will say fit and finish has improved since 05ish.

Users who are viewing this thread