Ran a GT500 today,then had clutch issue.

Terminator0304

Established Member
This is weird. I had been having issues with shifting my transmission so yesterday I pulled the clutch fork cover off and adjusted my clutch cable tighter, it made a world of difference. Today I was jumping on the highway and along came a brand new Gt500 so I gave a rev and a wave to the older gentleman and next thing I know he was downshifting so I did the same down into 3rd and we went from a roll. we were neck and neck in fourth then traffic slowed us up. after slowing down I couldnt get it into gear so I gave it a rev to match speeds and get it into gear. when I came to a stop I could hardly get into gear, so when I got back to my shop I threw it on the lift and had to tighten the cable again it is now about a half inch from being fully screwed in but shifts great again. I have a aftermarket quad. Had it when I bought the car. I don't think there is a fire wall adjuster. Any ideas or am I doing something wrong? :shrug:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
My tranny isnt the T56, i have TR3650 but i have simular issues? Once i drive the car a few miles it becomes hard to put in 1st gear :shrug: but shifts fine while driving, every now and then i have to adjust it outwards (counter clock) I have the Ford cable with silver UPR adjuster.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
This is weird. I had been having issues with shifting my transmission so yesterday I pulled the clutch fork cover off and adjusted my clutch cable tighter, it made a world of difference. Today I was jumping on the highway and along came a brand new Gt500 so I gave a rev and a wave to the older gentleman and next thing I know he was downshifting so I did the same down into 3rd and we went from a roll. we were neck and neck in fourth then traffic slowed us up. after slowing down I couldnt get it into gear so I gave it a rev to match speeds and get it into gear. when I came to a stop I could hardly get into gear, so when I got back to my shop I threw it on the lift and had to tighten the cable again it is now about a half inch from being fully screwed in but shifts great again. I have a aftermarket quad. Had it when I bought the car. I don't think there is a fire wall adjuster. Any ideas or am I doing something wrong? :shrug:

well since you need to remove the cover to adjust the cable from underneath the car, you have an aftermarket adjustable cable. if you can, you should switch to a stock cable with a firewall adjuster.

the aftermarket cables are prone to fail. not sure if that is what is causing this issue for you but it is possible

Terminator0304

Established Member
Haha must be one strand at a time was giving up because that piece of shit aftermarket cable snapped on me today in the worst possible place during rush hour... Where is the best place to get a new stock cable? I may get one over nighted through for tomorrow.

Terminator0304

Established Member
I order one from local ford dealership Ill have it tomorrow. $70.00 wholesale price. I know I could have got one a little cheaper but you cant put a price on having your car for the weekend!

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i wouldnt count on that yet! keep in mind that now you will need to obtain a firewall adjuster. you said that you had an aftermarket quadrant, but no firewall adjuster, is that right?

the cable just by itself ain't gonna cut it

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Aftermarket cables are such JUNK! I had one in mine and the thing felt like it was going to snap everytime I push the clutch in. Switch to an OEM unit and it was a world of difference. Like stated above you will need a Firewall adjuster to get it shifting smooth.

Terminator0304

Established Member
I looked at the fire wall where the clutch cable comes out. No adjuster visible from there. I will look from the inside when i get to the shop this morning. I ordered a upr last night from ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread