Ran my Auto conversion Cobra vert to the track.....

shhak

Established Member
anyone know the cost of converting over to an auto

I'm doing the swap right now on my twin turbo 03. A Lentech 4R70W with a manual valve body and a trans brake is about $3500. A PI triple disc converter is about $1,000. Then add all the sensors, wiring harness, crossmemeber, custom driveshaft, shifter, cooler, flexplate, dipstick, etc etc etc.. And you're getting up there over $6,000. I'm price shopping like a mofo and still it's going to cost me over $5k. But you can offset that somewhat by selling your T56 and related parts. :beer:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
looks like a nice setup! :beer:

did you get any horsepower #'s/dyno runs with that 8lb lower only?

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
anyone know the cost of converting over to an auto
I will pull out receipts and break it down when I get time. The entire conversion was done by a Shop(that I will not mention due to bashing that takes place on mst websites) It was a bone stock car when it went in came out with the Auto conversion and Metco Lower kit with supporting hardware.

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
Looks fast and as good as you told me. Ill be calling today

Thanks! Here's a better pic of the car. I sent you a PM. YES thats my son in the back seat and NO it's not hot!!!! LOL.....
SteeleJan2007Granttookpics001.jpg

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
looks like a nice setup! :beer:

did you get any horsepower #'s/dyno runs with that 8lb lower only?

THANKS!!!
With the 8lb lower and a SCT Mass air meter it put down best I can remember was 395hp and 405TQ but I will try to find all the paperwork and correct as needed. This conversion was done before I ppurchased the car so I do plan to put a Cat-Back exhaust and a FIPK2 then have it dyno tuned by Intune Motorsports in Charleston TN which uses a MD-Mustang Dyno(reason I mentioned them is because they are a shop that I use and I can tell you about first hand where the other shop I have no ideal about.) Once I get it done I will post the numbers for anyone interested.

colinGT

Established Member
That is a badass time man, and a sick ass 60 foot, how do the rear ends in these cobras hold up. i know it has IRS but im not to familar with it at all. it looks like it can take a beating.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
The Termi's have a 31 spline differential. So they are pretty good. Only thing i've heard people having problems with is the half-shafts, but with an auto I wouldn't see them being too much of a problem

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
This ices it for me.

I have an 03 vert that I just swapped a solid and a KB into. It needs a clutch and I kept wondering about whether I should just go auto. This is it, I'm going to start shopping for 4R70Ws.

Are you running a trans brake? What stall if your converter if you don't mind me asking?

shhak

Established Member
This ices it for me.

I have an 03 vert that I just swapped a solid and a KB into. It needs a clutch and I kept wondering about whether I should just go auto. This is it, I'm going to start shopping for 4R70Ws.

Are you running a trans brake? What stall if your converter if you don't mind me asking?

Look around on here. There are a few complete swaps for sale right now. There was a descent one on ebay a couple days ago as well.

You're doing exactly what I did. The clutch went out in my car and I decided to sell the T56 and start shopping. I found a great deal on a brand new Lentech with a PI converter, shifter, flexplate and a few other parts. There are deals out there, just gotta find them.

Also, PM 4sdvenom, he had a heck of a deal on a swap. He took a deposit on it a while back, but I don't know if the guy ever finished paying for it. Worth looking into.

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
That is a badass time man, and a sick ass 60 foot, how do the rear ends in these cobras hold up. i know it has IRS but im not to familar with it at all. it looks like it can take a beating.

With the Automatic I can load the rear-end since I am foot-braking it so I believe the stock half shafts with rearend bracing would have been fine. However for insurance this one does have Level 5 Half shafts, Poly urathane(sp?) bushing, 14mm bolt upgrade and an IRS brace.

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
This ices it for me.

SORRY for causing you to spend more money BUT you will not be disappointed!!! Even everyday driving is pretty cool in it and watching the faces on people that know it should be a 6-speed is pretty funny when they double take when I have one hand on the pass. seat and the other on the steering wheel! LOL..

No Trans-brake for me I simply put it in "D" and let it do it's thing. Don't mind you asking about the converter at all BUT I do not know exactly what the stall is. I do know it's a PI Stallion triple disc, it works best if I stall it to around 2200 and flash it for the best 60'ft times but if I get against it hard I have seen 3000 keep in mind all of this is foot-braking. I am going to play around with shift points a little also because it feels like it is turning to many rpm's in 1st and to be honest I have not got to watch the Tach like I want to but hope to this coming weekend.

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
You're doing exactly what I did. The clutch went out in my car and I decided to sell the T56 and start shopping.

How much should my T-56 set up bring? It only has 3300 miles on it I have the tranny, clutch,pressure plate, T.O.bearing, drive shaft, knuckle that goes to the rear end to allow drive shaft to bolt up, stock shifter, I don't think I have the cross member or tranny mount. Thanks for your time!

shhak

Established Member
How much should my T-56 set up bring? It only has 3300 miles on it I have the tranny, clutch,pressure plate, T.O.bearing, drive shaft, knuckle that goes to the rear end to allow drive shaft to bolt up, stock shifter, I don't think I have the cross member or tranny mount. Thanks for your time!

I got $2500 for mine. It was a viper spec T56 with a Spec billet flywheel, MGW shifter, and the yoke for the driveshaft. Wasn't hard to sell either.

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
Look around on here. There are a few complete swaps for sale right now. There was a descent one on ebay a couple days ago as well.

You're doing exactly what I did. The clutch went out in my car and I decided to sell the T56 and start shopping. I found a great deal on a brand new Lentech with a PI converter, shifter, flexplate and a few other parts. There are deals out there, just gotta find them.

Also, PM 4sdvenom, he had a heck of a deal on a swap. He took a deposit on it a while back, but I don't know if the guy ever finished paying for it. Worth looking into.

Jeffery how is your car setup to allow the car to shift itself. Does it use a Mach 1 PCM or is it using one of those Bauminators?

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
Jeffery how is your car setup to allow the car to shift itself. Does it use a Mach 1 PCM or is it using one of those Bauminators?

Mine has the Mach 1 PCM using SCT Xcaliber 2 to tune, I called them(SCT)yesterday asking them if I was to want to adjust my shift points how would I know where it is now? (because it does not show where it is set at it's current setting) The guy from SCT said you can't. I then asked ok how am I supposed to be able to tune with your tuner he said adjust the % to which I replied my shift points is set by MPH unless I looked at the incorrect screen while I was wanting to know where it was set, he says oh yeah thats right just adjust the MPH to where you want it to shift, I said OK where is it set right now,he replied how am I supposed to know, I then said How am I supposed to know is the question here he told me to find some one with their software and have it tuned, I laughed! What I am trying to say is BUY the Baumanator!!! You have total control of the tranny and you will know what RPM you are shifting at and can adjust accordingly. I am highly disappointed in SCT as of right now and unless I figured something out I may pull my computer out put the Cobra computer back in it adjust it with a Predator and buy a Bauminator myself!!! LOL.....

PS. sorry for the delay in a response I have been away for a couple of days...

Last edited:

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
UPDATE...... Boy it has been along time since I posted this post!! ANYWAY time for an update. I ended up pulling the SCT out of the car and installing a Predator. Just so happens the gentleman I purchased the car from had a Predator for it also. LOL and he made me one hell of a deal on it since he did not need it anymore! Scott at INTUNE Motorsports in Charleston TN tuned it for me with the Predator and I had also added a Steeda Cat-back exhaust again on a Mustang Dyno car made 402hp and 436 tq. Carried it to Steel Al. again and kept blowing the tires off but ran a 11.75 at 118mph. Then I decided to leave at dead idle went a 1.72 60'ft 7.46 1/8 and 11.59 1/4 at 118mph. Also with Scott's tune my MPG put up to over 20 hwy and 16 city....here is a video...(not a very good one but one that works!LOL)

th_1159pass.jpg

JeffreyKirkland

Established Member
That's some good times and mph for that hp. Congrats!

Awsome man, thanks for the update.

Thanks!!! I am planning on heading back to Steele on the 31st (was going to come to SDR but due to import take over I believe we will stay up this way) with some good tires so I can leave against the convertor and hopefully drop some ET....

Users who are viewing this thread