Ran over a HUGE rock yesterday. What a Nightmare!

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Ugh! sorry to hear. One thing about braking hard in these things is that stop faster than much of what will be behind you, add in some time for the person behind to react and you end up getting rear ended. It really sucks when you can potentially avoid something but cant stop because you know the A-hole behind you is too close to stop in time.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I did the exact same thing this past spring. Big rock in the middle of the road, no where to go...I centered it and prayed for the best. I have a HUGE dent in the K-member. Figure it gives the car character. ;-)
Found a couple more rock fragments up under the car when the KB was installed 3 months later. LOL

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
i know how you feel, though I have never hit a rock before I have been a victim of unpaved roads with sewer heads that love to stick their fvcking heads out.

But the worse was when I was driving in DC one day going through georgetown where they used to have these tracks for a trolley...well that was years ago and the road is all messed up...but the tracks are still straight and sticking up about 5 inches off the ground. I've never heard my car in so much pain :(

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
sounds like a good time to get an aftermarket K member :beer:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
sounds like a good time to get an aftermarket K member :beer:
Problem is, the aftermarket K-member exposes the oil pan. The stocker is one heck of a battering ram...like those big grills on trucks. :coolman:

dougwg

Established Member
well..... if you people would STOP running things over....hehe j/k

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I had this same thing happen to me about a month ago, except with a big lump of truck tire tread instead of a rock.

Couldn't swerve because of a narrow lane and traffic, could slam on the brakes because of some needledick in an SUV tailgating me. So I ran over it. Luckily it had already been run over by about 100 cars, so it was pretty flat. No damage.

Of course a tire is much softer than a rock.

dougwg

Established Member
"needledick in an SUV " :lol:

I hate SUV's:gt: and re-treads:gt: :gt:

stevieb

Established Member
Bummer about the rock man, I know how you feel. At least the damage is out of sight. To comment on the tire casing kill, yes rubber is softer than a rock, but I saw a guy run over a long piece one time and it came up and destroyed the side of his car/mirror as he ran over it. That really really sucks.
But just be thankful it didnt turn out worse for you.

StreetSnake

Established Member
I feel your pain. These stinkin roads in South Florida are riddled with crap and it is inevitable down here that you will experience what you described. Im just waiting for my turn:beer:

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Problem is, the aftermarket K-member exposes the oil pan. The stocker is one heck of a battering ram...like those big grills on trucks. :coolman:

True. I hit a pothole while coming off a speedbump and slammed the crap outta the bottom of the car. Fearing catastrophic damage, I jacked it up and found only some minor scratches on the K member. Thing is solid. Little sanding and paint and you can hardly tell it happened.

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
I hit a retread in my Cobra, pretty much destroyed the front bumper. Ripped out the left hand fog lamp, cracked the bumper on the bottom, partially ripped off the black lip, ripped the connector that connects the bumper to the frame off. Broke my driver's side head light. When I got home, I took it all of, mended some of it with Carbon fiber and put it back on till I got a new bumper. Cost me a total of like $500...

--Matt

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by stevieb
To comment on the tire casing kill, yes rubber is softer than a rock, but I saw a guy run over a long piece one time and it came up and destroyed the side of his car/mirror as he ran over it. That really really sucks.

I considered myself lucky that day. When I hit it, I immediately thought I'd have major scratches in the paint, front valance damage, and probably a hole in my heat exchanger.:(

Fortunately, nothing happened.

The SAME DAY driving home, somebody's license plate came flying through the air into my front bumper at 80 mph. Luckily the plate seemed to be inside one of those plastic frames and just left a little scuff mark on the side of my bumper. I was able to scrape it off with my fingernail. That wasn't a good day for highway driving.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
This morning I'm driving to work and get to a section of road that has been under construction for....oh, about three years! I notice that they opened up 2 new lanes so I think cool, finally, about time. As I pass through the intersection doing about 40 I see that the concrete and asphalt up ahead don't look like they mate very well. I let off the gas [can't brake hard because of course I'm being tailgated] and hit the bump. The bottom of my front bumper hits! This isn't a bump, it's like a curb! Luckily my suspension handles it ok. Stupid construction bozos don't even have a warning sign out. It's only a matter of time until someone wipes when they hit it. Hopefully after the city vehicles hit it a couple times, they'll realize and fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread