Ran with an SS Camaro on the highway

Gambinotdx

Established Member
287 Southbound. the guy before we raced said he had 4.10s, intake, and some other things done, cam, can't remember what else.

we went from a 60 roll to 130 or 135. did it about 5-6 times. we were either right next to each other or i pulled a half a car length on him but that was it.

my only mods are a removed tow hitch and a Lightning air freshner. does this sound right to you? i know he was pushing it to its limits because he'd only shift when i saw his interior light up with a huge RED light from the big tach he had hehe

i really didn't expect to keep up with him on the upper speeds but i certainly did :thumbsup: kid was cool and all we BSed after and he said he was surprised at how fast the Ls were.

my best time stock is 13.446 @ 103mph weighing in at 4867. later all...

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by Gambinotdx
287 Southbound. the guy before we raced said he had 4.10s, intake, and some other things done, cam, can't remember what else.

we went from a 60 roll to 130 or 135. did it about 5-6 times. we were either right next to each other or i pulled a half a car length on him but that was it.

my only mods are a removed tow hitch and a Lightning air freshner. does this sound right to you? i know he was pushing it to its limits because he'd only shift when i saw his interior light up with a huge RED light from the big tach he had hehe

i really didn't expect to keep up with him on the upper speeds but i certainly did :thumbsup: kid was cool and all we BSed after and he said he was surprised at how fast the Ls were.

my best time stock is 13.446 @ 103mph weighing in at 4867. later all...

If this guy had a cam and gears in an LS1, he would have wiped the floor with you. I'm guessing it was an LT1. If he had 4.10 gears (which I used to have), I guarantee you he has a manual. Doing top speed runs sucks w/ 4.10 gears. After about 115mph or so, you have to shift into 5th gear, which is an overdrive gear. After that the car feels like it takes a dump, and you get bumped way out of your power band.

I'm assuming the car would be an LT1 and not an LS1, but even so, I just raced a cammed LT1 with stock gears, and he traps around 112mph in AZ (1500ft). That car would have beaten you pretty handily from a roll.

I'm guessing the guy you raced had a tiny cam in an LT1.

Regardless, Great Run!!!:thumbsup:

blackfang

Established Member
Nice kill. You sure it was an LS1 SS, and not an LT1 SS. With those mods and on the highway, he should have waxed you easily.

CobraDOHC

12 Second Z
Established Member
Gambino, I'm actually going to have to go with VERBS on this one, a LS1 with Intake/Cam, should have killed you in those triple digit speeds.....

Anyways who cares....Nice Kill......

StangD281

Established Member
Nice kill, but sounds fishy to me....the LT1's have nothing for new L's or new GT's for that matter....when you get into modding, there is a difference. I'm guessing if he didnt pull on you, he was lying through his Chevy teeth about his engine work. :nono:

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by StangD281
Nice kill, but sounds fishy to me....the LT1's have nothing for new L's or new GT's for that matter....when you get into modding, there is a difference.
As I mentioned above, I just recently raced a cammed LT1, and that thing was fast. It would have torched a near stock GT, and would have beaten a stock L.

The problem with the story is that we don't know if it was an LS1 or LT1....although I think we all know which one it was

Gambinotdx

Established Member
well i don't know much about camaros and i don't care to either cause it isn't my vehicle of choice but i'm just going by what the guy said. i don't know the difference between an LS1 and LT1. hehe i was just repeating what he said. i wouldn't consider it a kill though...i was just mentioning it because it was a fun run. i can't wait to mod it! later all! :burnout:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by verbs
As I mentioned above, I just recently raced a cammed LT1, and that thing was fast. It would have torched a near stock GT, and would have beaten a stock L.

The problem with the story is that we don't know if it was an LS1 or LT1....although I think we all know which one it was

It takes more than a cam to trap 112 in an LT1.

Thomas, AKA FRNTRNNER, and I race quite a bit. When his car had these mods, CNC'd LT1 Heads, cam ZZ3 or a touch more aggressive, good valves, Arizona Speed and Marine headers, Borla CB wide open, 2800 stall and 3:73 He would pull 13.0's to high 12's with no real suspension work. Trapping around 112.

Check GM High Tech. Cover is a BLACK TA RAM AIR. Should be Aug-Sep issue. Jason Dellinger is the cover. His Blown TA is on the cover. He mentions how he and Thomas had their rivalry that got him where he is. It also mentions his 427 C-5 Mike Osh has done both cars. The TA is an allout drag car now, the C-5 is a daily driver. The C-5 made around 425 RWHP, granted that is streetable and emissions legal HP.

As for the LS1/LT1 SS. It is fairly easy to tell them apart, unless someone has spent alot of money to swap frontends. Sounds like the SS guy was fibbing about his mods maybe. That's OK though, you still have one more in the W column right. ;-)

Last edited:

verbs

Banned
Originally posted by GR8WHITE

It takes more than a cam to trap 112 in an LT1.

Of course not just a cam...here are his mods....

Beefy cam (forgot specs)
1.7 roller rockers
headers
off road pipe (which he removes which acts like a cutout)
exhaust
intake
throttle body
ported maf ends
ignition

So he does trap 112 (in winter of course) on stock heads which is pretty impressive. From 70-130mph I can't put more than a car on him.....

LSs1Power

Established Member
Well i just have a Catback and LID(inatke) and i trap 109.66MPH in a 90 hot weather.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by LSs1Power
Well i just have a Catback and LID(inatke) and i trap 109.66MPH in a 90 hot weather.

Read the post. Verbs and I were talking about an LT1 trapping 112.:rolleyes:

the_mustang

Established Member
Originally posted by Gambinotdx
i really didn't expect to keep up with him on the upper speeds but i certainly did

A Z28 did a fly-by on mw last evening when I was going home from work. Wasn't watching the mirrors as I was actually cruising the speed limit with the top down just enjoying the day.

Anyway.. by the time I woke up he had about 10 car lengths on me... I downshifted to 3rd and started chasing and was able to close the gap to about 4 car lengths, but I had to hit 140 mph to do it. (Top down too). At this time he shut down and went into the exit lane on the X-way. As I slowed up next to him rolled down his window and waved to me smiling. Hmm? I just waved back, smiled and... downshifted and punched it to let him hear what he would have heard if he hadn't had to exit...LOL

hey. Do you guys think it is more demoralizing to these guys when I do it with the top down????

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE

Read the post. Verbs and I were talking about an LT1 trapping 112.:rolleyes:

Calm down buddy. I wasnt replying to your post. I was just saying that a LS1 will trap at my speed with Catback and LID only.

95 S351

Established Member
I can believe that, The SS with 4.10 gears will not do very well on the freeway. Those gears run out of RPM's very fast. You use those gears for the drag strip on high way racing.

Users who are viewing this thread