Random Picture Thread

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Yes those radial engines were awesome to hear.

That floral top Super Bee just pops Seventies.

I believe they were called "Mod Tops" I remember that floral print everywhere growing up. On curtains, table clothes, etc.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That sweet radial engine sound get right into your bones. Check out this video. Jump to 2:30. Crank up the volume.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes those radial engines were awesome to hear.

I believe they were called "Mod Tops" I remember that floral print everywhere growing up. On curtains, table clothes, etc.
How about wallpaper in your kitchen. Ask me how I know. LOL. The 70s were wild in so many ways, but colors and patterns were definitely on the wild side. Oranges and greens were IN. LOL.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 4.26.16 PM.png

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The Bell P39 Airacobra reminded me of some pretty odd WWII and postwar birds.

The Fisher P75 Eagle. Yes, the very same Fisher that did bodies for GM cars. It was some A-class GM parts bin engineering long before the Cadillac Cimarron or Catera. It used wings from the North American P51 Mustang, Douglas SBD tail, undercarriage from the Vought F4U Corsair, and just plain looked like a P39 with coaxial props.
1280px-P75A_Eagle.jpg

And then there's all the other weird planes that used coaxial props.

The Northrop YB35, looking far more futuristic than its roots
XB-35.jpg

The fact that this even existed and worked was amazing. The Convair XFY Pogo. It was an early VTOL design that somehow managed to land completely vertically, nose to the sky. That could not have been a fun experience.
Convair_XYF-1_Pogo.jpg

And of course, probably the most famous application of coaxial props, the Tupolev TU95 "Bear." They are shockingly loud, pun intended, as their propellers spin so fast that the tips go supersonic, creating an ear shattering amount of noise. I forget which US prototype also had that issue, and that merely taxi-ing out to the flight line would alert people miles away it was so loud.
Russian_Bear_%27H%27_Aircraft_MOD_45158140.jpg

Of course, when it comes to entertaining applications of radial engines, the unlimited tractor pulling class is one to take note of. Tractors can use one or more radial engines.
fightingstar3.jpg

starwars.jpg

Turbine engines are also allowed.
2c66da9ca189e7c029de70aa4bfb7dd4.jpg

No one tell Snover. A nuclear powered pulling tractor sounds a bit dicey.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
What a beautiful photo of that lake. I'd be mezzmerized if I was sitting on that deck.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
The Bell P39 Airacobra reminded me of some pretty odd WWII and postwar birds.

The Fisher P75 Eagle. Yes, the very same Fisher that did bodies for GM cars. It was some A-class GM parts bin engineering long before the Cadillac Cimarron or Catera. It used wings from the North American P51 Mustang, Douglas SBD tail, undercarriage from the Vought F4U Corsair, and just plain looked like a P39 with coaxial props.
View attachment 1707167

And then there's all the other weird planes that used coaxial props.

And of course, probably the most famous application of coaxial props, the Tupolev TU95 "Bear." They are shockingly loud, pun intended, as their propellers spin so fast that the tips go supersonic, creating an ear shattering amount of noise. I forget which US prototype also had that issue, and that merely taxi-ing out to the flight line would alert people miles away it was so loud.

That's basically what the P63 King Cobra was. A P39 with P51 wings and a hot rodded engine.
Also the AT6's propeller spins fast enough to break or nearly break the speed of sound which gives it a unique sound.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Love those old warbirds...but i was never a fan of the radial engines....i liked the V12s better

I do however like the sound of the wright cyclones on the mighty b17

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
View attachment 1707170

Apparently the bear was so loud it could be heard underwater inside of subs.

Users who are viewing this thread