CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Shirley "Cha Cha" Muldowney

View attachment 1748673

CraveOnline: How did you get the nickname “Cha Cha?”

Shirley Muldowney: I got it in the late 50s when nicknames were synonymous with the sport of drag racing. I think that is sadly missed today. It was a major part of the sport and I think they need to go back to that and just give us a break with some of this corporate stuff. But I went to a race out in Sanford, Maine back in 1959. That’s when they wrote your class number on your window in shoe polish. I was driving a 58′ red Chevrolet with white top, a convertible all lowered, pretty jazzy looking.

The tech guy wrote it on the car in shoe polish along with the permanent number for that day. It was very small but it looked cute and we decided that we would stay with a nickname cause it was shorter than ‘Shirley Muldowney.’ Tommy Ivo told me I was making the biggest mistake of my racing career if I didn’t keep the name “Cha Cha” on the car and paint it pink so I took his advice.

I remember Shirley well from back in the day, but didn't know where the "Cha Cha" came from. Cool interview and story.

VegasMichael

Established Member
283094081_1050751388858942_8496759033153494234_n.jpg

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Did I miss the write-up on how the first ride went?
No. Haven't posted yet. Didn't take any pictures before or during the ride so I kind of blew it off. Just a few pics of the battle wounds and bruises afterwards is all I got. I had just one "get off" and that was in deep sand. I didn't get a chance to actually "Ride" the bike. I merely hung on for dear life 99% of the time! :ROFLMAO:

U.M.

Zemedici

Established Member
on one hand that is pretty cool but on the other it's like - ok, you can fly around in a circle over a big field...then what?

for the time and money involved seems like he could probably be able to fly a real helicopter or plane

Think the same thing, but then you think about insurance / certs / etc etc and i bet the RC is a drop in the bucket comparing

The videos of these guys crashing their shit is the best / worst thing. Entertaining to watch cuz its not me, but these guys got 5/6 figures wrapped up in these things, poof up in smoke lolol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Think the same thing, but then you think about insurance / certs / etc etc and i bet the RC is a drop in the bucket comparing

The videos of these guys crashing their shit is the best / worst thing. Entertaining to watch cuz its not me, but these guys got 5/6 figures wrapped up in these things, poof up in smoke lolol

ya I remember one going around of a huge r/c plane and shortly after the very first takeoff it just disintegrated in mid air

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I prefer planes to helicopters, but that’s still pretty cool. I’d take animals on flights. Like, here cat… strap it in a plastic bucket and take it around.
Lol this is what I was thinking, but a rabbit. They are less sharp.

For the amount of money put into that thing, dude should buy an enclosed trailer just so you don't have to disassemble and reassemble it every time you move it. Or bring a bunch of extra batteries and fly it home while you follow in the car.

blownstang01

Established Member
They should incorporate some of the drone tech into them. Self stabilize and return to take-off location when the batteries are low, or lose signal sure would make flying them less uncomfortable on the wallet. Most of these "high end" ones I see on videos never fly them more than 20-30 yards away.

Users who are viewing this thread