Random Shit Thread

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
More engraving. Knocked out 32 bottles and three cups this past weekend. These are for a friend to give as a gift.

Marty glass.jpg

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Strange question for anyone with background in evolutionary biology or antelopes: Why the **** do Antelopes run so fast and have such good eyesight? As far as I know they have no predators. And yet they are the best equipped prey animal in all of north america. The can outrun any other land animal and can see over a mile away. Also, they are skittish AF so you cannot get near them if you wanted to.

It would be one thing if they were constantly chased by predators but they are not. What is the explanation?
Antelope are nothing compared to horses. Horses have better night vision than any cat, 10 times better sense of smell than any dog. Better hearing than any dog. The American Quarter Horse can hit 67 mph. Granted, only for a short burst, but they can accelerate up to that speed fast enough to leave an unwary rider sitting on the air of the spot they previously occupied. The only thing faster is a Cheetah. Horses only need about two hours of sleep a day. But they do require 8 hours of "down time," of not being stressed or chased. And horses can jump and maneuver, all at full speed, including going from full speed to a dead stop in an amazingly brief period of time. A lot of riders have been thrown off the front, as have been thrown off the back.

Turns out the best defense against predators is knowing where the predators are before they know where you are. Especially since horses have no offensive armament such as antlers or horns.

The horses biggest weakness: they aren't good at going down steep inclines. The mass of the neck and head works against them, on that one. Oh, they can go down steep inclines. But not like they can climb them. A horse with a rider can go down a steep incline faster than an un-saddled horse, because the rider can shift their weight backwards to compensate.

Less well known is: horses can climb on rocks about as well as goats. Their field of view is very wide, and they can see all four of their own feet.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Antelope are nothing compared to horses. Horses have better night vision than any cat, 10 times better sense of smell than any dog. Better hearing than any dog. The American Quarter Horse can hit 67 mph. Granted, only for a short burst, but they can accelerate up to that speed fast enough to leave an unwary rider sitting on the air of the spot they previously occupied. The only thing faster is a Cheetah. Horses only need about two hours of sleep a day. But they do require 8 hours of "down time," of not being stressed or chased. And horses can jump and maneuver, all at full speed, including going from full speed to a dead stop in an amazingly brief period of time. A lot of riders have been thrown off the front, as have been thrown off the back.

Turns out the best defense against predators is knowing where the predators are before they know where you are. Especially since horses have no offensive armament such as antlers or horns.

The horses biggest weakness: they aren't good at going down steep inclines. The mass of the neck and head works against them, on that one. Oh, they can go down steep inclines. But not like they can climb them. A horse with a rider can go down a steep incline faster than an un-saddled horse, because the rider can shift their weight backwards to compensate.

Less well known is: horses can climb on rocks about as well as goats. Their field of view is very wide, and they can see all four of their own feet.
Per mile, more people are killed while riding horses than any other form of transportation.

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
Per mile, more people are killed while riding horses than any other form of transportation.
I can believe that! My wife has had three major falls. First one, she suffered a compression fracture of the L1 vertebrae (just before your ribs begin), second one she had a slight concussion. The third one was funny: she fell off, landed ok, wasn't hurt at all. But here horse, who loves her like a big dog, came over to see if she was ok, and gave her an experimental nudge to see if she was alive, and nearly broke her lower leg. We were all saying, "It's a good thing the horse _likes_ you!"

James Snover

Established Member
Premium Member
I can believe that! My wife has had three major falls. First one, she suffered a compression fracture of the L1 vertebrae (just before your ribs begin), second one she had a slight concussion. The third one was funny: she fell off, landed ok, wasn't hurt at all. But here horse, who loves her like a big dog, came over to see if she was ok, and gave her an experimental nudge to see if she was alive, and nearly broke her lower leg. We were all saying, "It's a good thing the horse _likes_ you!"

FJohnny

Established Member
Horse, hoarse and whores sound the same but have slightly different meanings.

Possibly this is because a horse, unlike the other two, is incapable of breathing through it's mouth. Nostrils only.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Got my truck tuned on 93 since I can’t leave well enough alone. Lol Plus when your tuner is a mere text message away, it’s too convenient NOT to get her on the rollers. A smooth 400hp would have been nice and we would have gotten much closer if it hadn’t been 90+ degrees. Oh well. She’s good and comfy at these numbers so reliability is worth a few hp in the long run. Still not bad for a measly 2.7 with minor bolt-ons.

Image1629910691.457904.jpg

Image1629910705.562498.jpg

Image1629910717.353631.jpg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Got my truck tuned on 93 since I can’t leave well enough alone. Lol Plus when your tuner is a mere text message away, it’s too convenient NOT to get her on the rollers. A smooth 400hp would have been nice and we would have gotten much closer if it hadn’t been 90+ degrees. Oh well. She’s good and comfy at these numbers so reliability is worth a few hp in the long run. Still not bad for a measly 2.7 with minor bolt-ons.

View attachment 1717938
View attachment 1717939
View attachment 1717940

damn, pretty impressive honestly. Did you watch your IATs much before and after the new intercooler?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
damn, pretty impressive honestly. Did you watch your IATs much before and after the new intercooler?

No. He did make a comment about them being pretty high when he did the first pull, but that was about a half after I got there. 50min drive on the highway when it was 91 degrees out... According to reports, on average, the i/c sees drops of about 40 degrees over the stock piece during 2-3-4 gear pulls.

The intake "mods" are probably borderline negligible, honestly. The stock airbox flows fine and the turbo inlets are so tiny that the tubes probably don't make much of a power difference. I think I have a comparison pic of the stock vs AMS driver's side tubes I can post. The passenger side stock tube has a pretty ugly bend in it right before the turbo that gets eliminated. Smoother flow, more volume, maybe a few extra hp, but mostly decreased spool time in the end. It's all speed density anyway. I'm surprised the teeny snails don't completely run out of breath sooner.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The boys and I bought this a month or so ago at an auction, it didn't run. Fairbanks Morse 6hp hit and miss. We put about 20 hours in it. Runs like new. Old stuff was simple.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Attachments

• 20210709_135805.jpeg
    20210709_135805.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 20210709_135933.jpeg
    20210709_135933.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 20210709_141425.jpeg
    20210709_141425.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Man I miss the old equipment expos/shows they used to have with stuff like that. Crazy that guys still run/operate steam tractors that are nearly two stories tall, or those old Fairbanks powerplants that would shake the ground.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Cool project/video for your kids! They could have made that their science project.

The boys are home schooled, I'm the shop teacher. It's amazing how fast they pickup stuff.

Man I miss the old equipment expos/shows they used to have with stuff like that. Crazy that guys still run/operate steam tractors that are nearly two stories tall, or those old Fairbanks powerplants that would shake the ground.

That's what grabbed their attention. We have a local steam show once a year, and the boys have been going since toddlers. The oldest is hooked on David Bradley's and in the process of restoring 1 of two he has.

That's way cool dad and boys. Way to go!

Thanks, It's practical fun. They work together too. Today they did a no muffler straight pipe exhaust. Chassis next.

Users who are viewing this thread