• Sell/trade it

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Leave it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Friend got a new toy. It's a nice car, but as you can see, the airbrush job on the front is tackier than a tiger skin rug. The question is- what to do with it? Leave it for the New Balance crowd at car shows? Sand it off? Paint over it? Wrap or dip it? Sell it? It's only on the front bumper and front half of the hood. I have to admit it's done extremely well. Multiple colors, great technique...just ugly as sin, but maybe I'm just a minimalist.

P1040377 - Copy.JPG

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those early Vipers are horrible. Even the newer ones leave a lot to be desired. Sell it and buy a car you can drive.
Having driven several Vipers over the years, I will equate them to slinging a sledge hammer. It is fun for a bit, but after half an hour you drop it and go on to something that is less taxing and annoying.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I assume the price was good enough to buy it and spend money to repaint?

From what I've been told. I've got to admit it's got to be one of the cleanest 1st/2nd gens I've ever seen.

Those early Vipers are horrible. Even the newer ones leave a lot to be desired. Sell it and buy a car you can drive.
Having driven several Vipers over the years, I will equate them to slinging a sledge hammer. It is fun for a bit, but after half an hour you drop it and go on to something that is less taxing and annoying.

I wouldn't balk at them. It seems a lot more refined and reliable than most of my collection. Not very practical and even from my limited experience a pain to get in and out of though.

Allbizns

LMAO funniest explanation I've heard. Almost spit my lunch out when I read this.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'd wrap it.

Always good advice! Zinggg...
I voted for wrap. That way if it's sold down the line, the airbrushed stuff underneath could possibly be marketed to the potential buyers. Might give someone a boner thusly persuading them to dump a few more doll-hairs on it.

LSwat

Established Member
So wraps typically pull off clear coat once it's removed from my understanding. So wrapping is not a long term solution by any means. Then you'll need a respray. Unless a wrap expert chimes in on why they are so good, I'd avoid that route as someone mentioned they are costly.

Even though the paint is only on front bumper and part of hood, I'd imagine with how old the car is you're looking at a full reshoot because the paint won't match (unless you don't care that it's slightly off)

The proper thing to do would be a scuff and shoot. Your clear isn't peeling , and cosmetically the finish is in great shape so I think that would be your best bet.

Have your buddy keep it for a month or two, come winter if he still is in love with the car, pull the trigger then on a decision. Sounds like most lust over the viper and the desire fades rather quickly.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Dip it different colors until your friend settles on a color he likes. Onces he is sure of it, the get it professionally prepped and painted.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
If he is a viper guy after driving it for awhile then repaint. Don't wrap it.

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Always good advice! Zinggg...
I voted for wrap. That way if it's sold down the line, the airbrushed stuff underneath could possibly be marketed to the potential buyers. Might give someone a boner thusly persuading them to dump a few more doll-hairs on it.

Yeah I figure there's a certain (grey haired or no-haired) subset out there that would love that kind of stuff and might pay a premium for it in the future. Apparently it's supposed to be buried under a prodigious amount of clear too.

Sanding would be the cheapest, quickest option, but would destroy any value in that. I suppose with the amount of clear over it, even painting could be reversed if desired by a future owner.

So wraps typically pull off clear coat once it's removed from my understanding. So wrapping is not a long term solution by any means. Then you'll need a respray. Unless a wrap expert chimes in on why they are so good, I'd avoid that route as someone mentioned they are costly.

Even though the paint is only on front bumper and part of hood, I'd imagine with how old the car is you're looking at a full reshoot because the paint won't match (unless you don't care that it's slightly off)

The proper thing to do would be a scuff and shoot. Your clear isn't peeling , and cosmetically the finish is in great shape so I think that would be your best bet.

Have your buddy keep it for a month or two, come winter if he still is in love with the car, pull the trigger then on a decision. Sounds like most lust over the viper and the desire fades rather quickly.

I didn't know they pulled off clear. But I'm only familiar with the ones that tend to be temporary at best, and require replacement within a year or so depending on conditions.

The paint does look incredible for its age. And with how limited the airbrushing is, and the sheer size of that hood you'd have all sorts of room to blend. Which to that effect I wonder if that airbrush might be more palatable as a ghost graphic underneath some color/clear blend. (Personally I think it would look best with the graphics gone and some silver or white GTS stripes...)

Ke1130

Established Member
With the market on vipers right now and so much money flying around why not put it on bring a trailer? Maybe you’ll get lucky and a couple of those guys with grey or no hair get in a bidding war... just an idea

boost88

Established Member
Wrap it. He can do damn near any color imaginable and when the wrap isn't up to par after a while spring for the new paint then.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Machdup1

Established Member
Drive it to a good paint shop you trust, drop it off and tell them to primer it, shoot the original color and add racing stripes in candy flake color of your choosing and then put about 10 coats of clear on it.

Then drive it over to whom ever did that airbrush job and bitch slap the taste out of their mouth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread