Rear Axle Off Center, Stock Suspension

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Hey everyone,

Long story short, my mustang took a bump on the noggin and it needed some suspension work. But when the shop tried to give me my car back today, the axle was off by a good half inch to the driver's side. Of note, my suspension is 100% stock, and before the incident it was dead nuts straight.

Things replaced:
Rear Axle and housing
Stock control arms

The shop is going to work on it Monday and try to get the axle centered up.

Thoughts?

KushBandit

Established Member
What's you replace the control arms with? OEM or aftermarket? I'd start taking measurements to see what is off center. Perhaps your frame is slightly tweaked. This is all assumed though, as I don't know the extent of what happened to your car.

Vert

Established Member
My stock 13 had that issue and an adjustable panhard bar will solve that issue.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
What's you replace the control arms with? OEM or aftermarket? I'd start taking measurements to see what is off center. Perhaps your frame is slightly tweaked. This is all assumed though, as I don't know the extent of what happened to your car.

It was replaced with OEM control arms and a complete OEM factory 8.8 axle assembly. The shop said that the car was in alignment, and I wish I had brought home the alignment sheet, but the driverside wheel/tire are flush with the fender well and the passenger side is in. Of note, I think they also replaced one of the brackets that attach the control arms to the chassis, so this seems to be slightly suspect as well.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
My stock 13 had that issue and an adjustable panhard bar will solve that issue.

That is a great suggestion. That did cross my mind as I was staring at the rear end, but then realized that it wasn't that way before dropping it off, so I left it with them to dig a little deeper.

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Well, just in case they come back saying there isn't anything they can do and everything looks fine, I ordered my adjustable panhard bar from AM.

billr814

Established Member
i bought a new 06 gt back in 06 rear was off to the right by 1/2..then bought a 08 bullitt ..same, now current 14 gt track pack also off 1/2 ..it seems its common on these s197s...i used ford racing k springs 1.5 drop and j&m adjustable panhard bar..problem solved

11gtcs

Established Member
I'm pretty sure my rear was also off on my 11 before I did any suspension work.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Stock suspension on my Boss was off center about a half inch toward the driver's side. I didn't really notice it until I put new wheels on with a more aggressive offset. Adjustable bar fixed it.

11gtcs

Established Member
If it got hit so hard to require a new housing, odds are the panhard is bent....

Maybe I'm over thinking this but if the panhard bar was bent (makes it shorter), wouldn't that shift the axle more to the passenger side?

Last edited:

sur_real1

I Am The Organizer
Established Member
Well, hopefully I'm getting the car back today. They replaced the panhard bar and say it's a little better, but my BMR adjustable one arrived in the mail 2 days ago, so it won't really matter for long as once I get that installed, I'll be able to pull it all back into shape either way :)

You guys have really given me a lot of great feedback and information. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread