Rear Brake Upgrade

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Here's some food for thought.....................

Your rear brakes are responsible for approximately 30% of the vehicle's braking capacity. This kit is going to make the braking on your vehicle so incredibly lopsided, you are most likely going to have to add a brake bias adjuster to shut the rear brakes almost completely off so you'll be able to actually use your brakes in an aggressive manner in order to stop safely. (think about hitting the brakes hard in almost any scenario i.e. panic stop)

Also.................your car currently has two rear pistons on the rear braking system. This kit has 12 rear pistons. Pedal travel will increase significantly adding 10 more rear pistons.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
I would look into better brake pads and rotors before I would install that upgrade. Just my $.02

Bad Company

Established Member
CorteX Racing has developed a 4 piston kit with Brembo for our cars. The only thing is you have to change the rear axle bearing to a 9" ford which eliminates the C-clip axle retention system of the 8.8" housing. You also have to install a separate secondary caliper for the E-brake. The upside is the 4 piston caliper will match the front calipers if you order them in black. Also remember brake bias at the point of lock up will be controlled by the ABS. Ford Racing also sells a reprogrammed ABS module for a much more aggressive programming before the ABS system interferes with braking.

bremborearbrakekit-1.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I'm guessing that Brembo kit is in the $4-5k range!? Not to mention the fact that you're adding a significant amount of rotating mass and unsprung weight to your already much too heavy vehicle. :uh oh: Also, as with any solid axle and fixed piston caliper brake set up, you will also have pad knockback issues.

What do you recommend?

If you don't like the look of your rear calipers we offer new Ford calipers with custom paint:

FT%209645%20-%20S-197%20rear%20calipers%20carbonweave%20%20powdercoat%20.jpg

We also have GT500 custom engraved 2 pc floating rear rotor assemblies. These have hard black anodized aluminum hats and clear zinc plated custom engraved floating rotors. Here is a photo of the rears:

FT%209650EG%2013-14%20Shelby%20engraved%20rear.JPG

FT%209650EG%20Closeup.JPG

We also have matching fronts as well:

FT%209220EG%2013-14%20Shelby%20%20engraved%20front.JPG

FT%209220EG%20Closeup.JPG

The fronts rotors are unfortunately not suitable for road race or open track duty because we cannot get a heavy enough casting with enough mass for that. However they are perfectly suitable for street, strip and even standing mile applications. The front rotors alone will save you a total of 23# of rotating mass and unsprung weight over the OEM rotors. The rear rotors are suitable for road race and open track duty but the rears don't save nearly as much rotating mass and unsprung weight as the fronts.

All of the above parts can be found on the 2013-2014 Shelby brake order page on our site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2013-2014_Shelby_Brake_parts.htm

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I'd like a set of those simply for the weight savings. Combine that with some light weight 18 inch wheels and you can potentially save 45-55 pounds off rotating mass OFF the front end alone!! rotor saves 11.5 pounds and the wheels save 15. (Not counting tire weight savings on 18 vs 20) Rear weight comparisons aren't listed, but wheels alone would drop you 25-30 pounds.

This certainly would affect acceleration and handling.

Bad Company

Established Member
I'm guessing that Brembo kit is in the $4-5k range!? Not to mention the fact that you're adding a significant amount of rotating mass and unsprung weight to your already much too heavy vehicle. :uh oh: Also, as with any solid axle and fixed piston caliper brake set up, you will also have pad knockback issues.

If you don't like the look of your rear calipers we offer new Ford calipers with custom paint:

FT%209645%20-%20S-197%20rear%20calipers%20carbonweave%20%20powdercoat%20.jpg

We also have GT500 custom engraved 2 pc floating rear rotor assemblies. These have hard black anodized aluminum hats and clear zinc plated custom engraved floating rotors. Here is a photo of the rears:

FT%209650EG%2013-14%20Shelby%20engraved%20rear.JPG

FT%209650EG%20Closeup.JPG

We also have matching fronts as well:

FT%209220EG%2013-14%20Shelby%20%20engraved%20front.JPG

FT%209220EG%20Closeup.JPG

The fronts rotors are unfortunately not suitable for road race or open track duty because we cannot get a heavy enough casting with enough mass for that. However they are perfectly suitable for street, strip and even standing mile applications. The front rotors alone will save you a total of 23# of rotating mass and unsprung weight over the OEM rotors. The rear rotors are suitable for road race and open track duty but the rears don't save nearly as much rotating mass and unsprung weight as the fronts.

All of the above parts can be found on the 2013-2014 Shelby brake order page on our site:

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2013-2014_Shelby_Brake_parts.htm

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.

I haven't checked the weight of the Brembo kit versus the stock set up. But the Brembo kit utilizes a 2 piece rotor with an aluminum hat versus a stock 1 piece rotor. The 4 piston caliper is aluminum versus the stock steel caliper. The combined caliper mounting bracket for both e-brake and the 4 piston caliper I'd expect to be close to the stock caliper bracket in weight by looking at the photo. It also could be billet aluminum for a weight reduction. Brake knockback will be non-existent with the fact you change the rear axle bearing to a 9" and eliminate the c-clips that allow the axles to float back and forth which causes knockback.

The OP was looking for something to augment his stock front Brembo calipers. He was asking about Baer. To me these weren't augmenting his front brakes, because he was trying to utilize two different brand products. Now when I posted, I was also thinking of the Baer brakes and him having to deal with brake knockback if he used the standard upgrade kit, but I also didn't know if he was willing to spend $5K in going with the Baer full floating rear axle conversion and E-brake set up when he asked about Baer. I thought to save him the money he could use the Brembo kit. Have a matching brand of calipers front and rear, plus loss the c-clips for no brake knockback and a much safer axle retention system in one shot. The only thing distracting or is a disadvantage about the Brembo system is the secondary caliper for the e-brake. But when you consider how Baer came up with its drum E-brake in the hat set up, I doubt that there is a weight disadvantage between these 2 brands. In fact I'd be willing to bet the Brembo set up comes up lighter in weight against Baer. Now against your method of doing the rear brakes, yours have the advantage. But again I say I was strictly trying to give a comparative answer the original question.

Users who are viewing this thread