Rear Bumper Warped

LUV2REV

Established Member
Hello All, I just purchased a bone stock 03' Satin Silver Cobra Convertible (13,600 KM's) from the original owner about 3 weeks ago after owning a couple S2000's, a 91' NSX and a 90' 911 C4 Targa. I have noticed the rear bumper cap is quite warped on the right hand side beneath the trunk lid. Anyone else have this problem in Alberta and were you able to fix it ? I have been to both Metro and Crowfoot Ford in Calgary and both dealers are willing to install a new bumper cap but are certain it will happen again. The Cobra is great fun but the fit and finish is very mediocre in many areas compared to the Honda's I have owned.

04torchred

Established Member
LUV2REV said:
Hello All, I just purchased a bone stock 03' Satin Silver Cobra Convertible (13,600 KM's) from the original owner about 3 weeks ago after owning a couple S2000's, a 91' NSX and a 90' 911 C4 Targa. I have noticed the rear bumper cap is quite warped on the right hand side beneath the trunk lid. Anyone else have this problem in Alberta and were you able to fix it ? I have been to both Metro and Crowfoot Ford in Calgary and both dealers are willing to install a new bumper cap but are certain it will happen again. The Cobra is great fun but the fit and finish is very mediocre in many areas compared to the Honda's I have owned.

Mine looks a little off as well. I will run mine by the dealership and ask about it. I have always thought it was just the body panels from Ford, but maybe something is messed up?

$ickZ06

Established Member
It's a common problem on all cobra's... I think there is a way to fix it, but i don't remember where i saw that. Try searching on here

JSpeed

Degenerate Speeder
Established Member
The skin of the bumper softens in the sun and sags in places where it is improperly supported from underneath. Curvature gives pieces rigidity. That section of the bumper if flat and weak. Ford was cheap and or incompetent and did not design it properly... like many parts of the car.

I suggest you get a new bumper.
Turn it upside down.
Scuff the flat areas that are prone to warping with 40 grit paper.
Lay down 3-5 layers of fiberglass in those areas.
Split the glass into sections, preferably divided by gussets/mounts present in the bumper.
After the glass cures run a bead of 3M Panelbond adhesive around the perimiter of the sections.

That is how I plan on dealing with the problem.

Every new bumper that sits in the sun for extended periods of time will warp unless you reinforce it.

Users who are viewing this thread