Rear Coilovers for SRA ?

MikeW

Established Member
I am considering coilovers for the rear of my '03 coupe when I put the SRA in. I want something that is "ok" to "good" on the street and can be set to do well at the drag too...... if that is possible.

What spring rate and stroke should I consider out of the ones on the TeamZ site?

THE SINGLE ADJUSTABLE KIT
http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/rear_suspension.html#lowers

What if I wanted to add the fronts found

http://www.teamzmotorsports.net/front_suspension.html#coilovers

What about the MMR rear kits? I like the looks of their kit the best.

The car has the stock struts in the front and the rear IRS shocks will not be used (of course). H&R SS springs all teh way around now with MM CC plates.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
I think QA1 makes some drag type coilovers for Mustang solid axles, so you could try them. Also, Koni adjustable struts with a sleeve coilover would be great. They have a lot of adjustability, so they should be fine on the street and strip.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
The best rear coilovers are maximum motorsports. But if you get anything else just make sure it uses a delrin/aluminum upper shock mount. Weight transfer to the rear tires puts an extreme amount of force on rear coilovers and especially the upper mount. The stock one is rubber and will deform or possibly tear after hard driving. The thickness of the material used for the shock towers is good enough for stock suspension purposes, but its not inteded for coilovers and having all that force put on them. It would be a good idea to have the top of the shock towers beefed up a little bit with some good welding or possibly even using some reinforcment plates. There have been plenty of people use rear coilovers without doing this and have had no problems running around on the street. But, if you plan on taking it to the track and launching hard on slicks I would be careful if you dont get them at least welded. A rear shock tower brace would also be a perfect way to equalizing the forces put on them and increase strength of the shock towers at the same time.

MikeW

Established Member
I think I am going with the TeamZ setup ... 2nd choice will be MMR. MMR was great on the phone today and addressed my questions and concerns very well.

Killa the coilovers will be going on lloyds ole ride ... I will be sure to beef up the shock towers with a brace or welding. I will see what the chassis guy that I am using thinks on that. He may be able to fab something up and weld the shock tower when he wleds the Torque boxes and installs the "battle boxes" for the upper CA area. Car should weigh 200-250 less than when you seen it last BTW... maybe rematch time when you get your setup done.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
I think I am going with the TeamZ setup ... 2nd choice will be MMR. MMR was great on the phone today and addressed my questions and concerns very well.

Killa the coilovers will be going on lloyds ole ride ... I will be sure to beef up the shock towers with a brace or welding. I will see what the chassis guy that I am using thinks on that. He may be able to fab something up and weld the shock tower when he wleds the Torque boxes and installs the "battle boxes" for the upper CA area. Car should weigh 200-250 less than when you seen it last BTW... maybe rematch time when you get your setup done.

I would like to do a rear coilover setup like that also. Mine should be around 200lbs less than when you seen it and its turbo. I would like to see how it stacks up against his old car also when I get it tuned. Im just going to go straight for a return style fuel system in a month or so whenever I can do it. But even on low boost it will be alot faster than it was the last time. On high boost well....:dancenana:

MikeW

Established Member
Get your tune and we can see how it goes until I sell both Whipples and Twin the '03 Coupe. Or go 3.4 Whipple and spary... either way it will be fun.

shhak

Established Member
Get your tune and we can see how it goes until I sell both Whipples and Twin the '03 Coupe. Or go 3.4 Whipple and spary... either way it will be fun.

You could go with the twins AND spray....:rockon::rockon::rockon::poke:

Users who are viewing this thread