Rear Differential leak

woomaster

Established Member
Anyone else had problems with the rear end leaking? My 01 leaked and had the gasket replaced and now my 04 started leaking last month and is going into the shop monday. Just curious how common this is.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I noticed mine was damp last time I was under the car. Never any oil on the ground though. I also noticed that the bolts on the rear cover weren't very tight so I snugged them. I plan to take it in to the dealer for warranty soon, but haven't gotten around to it yet

Gxsa140

Established Member
Mine leaked as well. Dealer pulled off the diff cover and put another bead of silcone around it and stuck it back on. Has been leak free since.

BoneCrusher

Established Member
Mine leaked, took it in for the re-seal. That lasted about a month and then they replaced the rear diff and DS. It's been good so far but I had to put it away right after they put the new parts on. I'll check it out while I'm putting the BF IRS brace on, but so far so good.

maddrabitt

Established Member
mine had the leak really bad and ford fixed it. Now it doesnt leak, except if I go on a high speed run (say anything over 140 mph) it'll drop just enough juice on my exhaust to smoke for a second. then it will leave about 2 drops on my garage. then the leak will disappear again. just saving up for the diff brace hoping that will help it out some

Driven

LS what???
Established Member
I had to have a seal replaced on mine, part of it started leaking and one day it started leaking onto my exhaust and burning as I was accelerating. Took it in and they tried to blame it on the exhaust because it was aftermarket, what a load of bs. But they replaced it and have not had a problem since.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
The leak because the stock cover is a fragile, flexible, gasketless afterthought in a system with many other problems. The only thing sealing it is a thin film of RTV.

Take a good look at this pic, notice how thin many of the visible edges are.

IRSFailure_Case3_Pic002.jpg

This cover was blown up by a modded car but there have been people break them stock.

There is one fix for a diff cover and that is to never let it start flexing in the first place. Put a Billetflow diffcover brace on it, simple as that. NO ONE as broken a cover once a BF Diff Brace has been installed. I don't recall anyone even having a leak after one has been installed. Stop the case/cover flex, stop the leaks.

That has got to be better than trusting your car in your dealers hand. They screwed up a friends diff by forgetting the friction modifier after the reseal.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Mine leaked 3 times! First dealer just band aided it, 2nd time over filled it which caused it to leak. The 3rd time a different dealer fixed and so far so good. But still a major pain in the ass for me to take it to the dealership 3 times just for this. I've been to the dealership other times for other isssues....

If this car wasn't so bad ass....I would have sold it.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Mine leaked at 20,000, or that's at least when I noticed it. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the entire rear end, or so they said. When I checked it again two weeks ago, it had started back leaking. I am past my warranty, so I will probably just seal it my self with some flex graphite.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Mine started leaking today. I did just put 4:10 in there, so maybe it was over filled with oil, and the re-seal was no good. How serious is the leak anyway? It is going to the dealer today, but I was just wandering how serioous it is? BTW, I have the IRS brace on mine, and that does not prevent it from leaking. Peace!

Mr. Mysti

Established Member
Wheel hop will break the seal on the RTV. No matter how much you tighten bolts, once the RTV seal breaks it will leak. Having the dealer re-seal the cover with RTV gets old after a while. The dealer did my car once and stripped out my rear IRS carrier bolts.

There are two solutions.

Re-seal w/ something like Loctite sensor-safe, which is a higher temp and more pliable RTV, and install Billetflow brace so the problem does not re-occur or seal it and install aluminum diff bushings front and rear so the diff does not flex.

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Wow,

There is alot of leaking diffs. My dealer had no problem fixing it under warranty. Each dealer is different though. Good luck.

TRIXSNK

DAILY DRIVEN!
Established Member
redfire03 svt said:
Wow,

There is alot of leaking diffs. My dealer had no problem fixing it under warranty. Each dealer is different though. Good luck.
Funny i'm in the same boat here guys.

I had my car in for service a week ago and i know they had it up on a lift but when i put my springs in last week i notice the diff was leaking as well :bash:

I would imagine they should have seen this :shrug: but i'll be going with a diff brace for sure very shortly as well :rockon:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Yep, mine leaked and the dealer fixed it.

The brace does help, but isn't a guranteed fix to prevent it.

Users who are viewing this thread