Rear Differential leak

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
The leak because the stock cover is a fragile, flexible, gasketless afterthought in a system with many other problems. The only thing sealing it is a thin film of RTV.

Take a good look at this pic, notice how thin many of the visible edges are.

IRSFailure_Case3_Pic002.jpg

This cover was blown up by a modded car but there have been people break them stock.

There is one fix for a diff cover and that is to never let it start flexing in the first place. Put a Billetflow diffcover brace on it, simple as that. NO ONE as broken a cover once a BF Diff Brace has been installed. I don't recall anyone even having a leak after one has been installed. Stop the case/cover flex, stop the leaks.

That has got to be better than trusting your car in your dealers hand. They screwed up a friends diff by forgetting the friction modifier after the reseal.

I have had the bf brace on for some time and mine actually didnt start leaking until after I put it on. and then only about 20k miles after I put it on.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
If you over fill it, the differential will leak through a wheel seal. That is what happened to mine. Ultra-Grey Permatex actually did hold up when combined with the billet-flow brace.

I just recently pulled my differential, installed mm poly bushings, changed the wheel seals, and put it back together last night. I currently have it sealed with Caterpillar flexible gasket maker (blue stuff). The weird part about that stuff is that it only cures when it is "compressed." I hope it holds up. I will say though, the Permatex Ultra-grey does work.

I am starting to believe that some of these "leaks" may be due to the wheel seals on the differential leaking.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
dustin,

The mm poly bushings you said you installed (where those the ones for the differential)... ? If so, tell me if you like them & did you notice any difference... ? :shrug:

Iron Fist

Established Member
The seal was damp on mine, just finished installing the diff brace and also installed PU diff pinion bushings. The bottom of the diff is completely dry now. I wouldn't attribute the fix to the diff brace just that the diff cover bolts needed to be retorqued.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I have had the bf brace on for some time and mine actually didnt start leaking until after I put it on. and then only about 20k miles after I put it on.

My diff leaked after installing the brace as well. retourqing the bolts did not help. I pulled the diff and resealed it a couple months ago, it has been fine since. It was a good excuse to add in the solid diff bushings anyway.

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
dustin,

The mm poly bushings you said you installed (where those the ones for the differential)... ? If so, tell me if you like them & did you notice any difference... ? :shrug:

I finally got the car back together last night (priorities...)

The driveline does feel like it has less slack in it with the new bushings. If you are going to take the diff out, then go ahead and replace the bushings. Especially given the amount of time it takes. I hope they just don't melt due to the heat from the diff in the future. I'll post up my final conclusions on them after I go for my monthly 200 mile drive this weekend.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
I finally got the car back together last night (priorities...)

The driveline does feel like it has less slack in it with the new bushings. If you are going to take the diff out, then go ahead and replace the bushings. Especially given the amount of time it takes. I hope they just don't melt due to the heat from the diff in the future. I'll post up my final conclusions on them after I go for my monthly 200 mile drive this weekend.

I can't wait to hear what you think about the new poly MM diff bushings & stuff... ! Have safe trip man. :beer:

fordracerguy

Mustang Geek
Established Member
Don't know if this helps,it is a Band-aid fix;But a really really good one I might add.theoratically it is not possible,but it's been working for 8 monthes now,and not even a seep has been seen!!!

Here's the story,I was installing the billet flow/MJ's brace,when I was jacking it around,manuvering the pumpkin,I "accidently" put the load on the diff cover....Ever since then my rear end cover start to leak after the brace install.due to the extreamly PITA location of the Diff cover,with the added BF/MJ's brace,I was too lazy to take everything back apart,jack it around ,and manuver it just to fix it.

I put a bead of red RTV around the lower portion of the cover out side of the actual sealing/matting surface..still leaks,Black RTV,still leaks.Finally,I did the samething but this time used Honda "Ultra Flange"(not Honda bond),I stuffed it thick and around the whole lower portion of the diff cover where the fluid was leaking out,packed it really good.and not one drop or even a "sign" of seep of the diff fluid ever again!!!and this is after numorous track launchs!!

Theoratically,any liquid gasket/RTV can only seal at the actual matting surface;but the Honda Ultra Flange actually sealed the leak from out side of the matting surface,stopping leak from coming out of the matting surface where thin RTV would not hold.this really works!and works really well,I can't believe it my self.

I work at Honda,and knew Ultra flange is the shit;but I never knew it's that good!

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but does anyone know where I can buy this "Ultra Flange" online?

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I used Doug from BF's advice and went to the Ford dealer and got the Grey diesel gasket maker. It's a half sized caulk tube you put in your caulk gun. It's been working great!

Users who are viewing this thread