Rear shock install questions

Ok I apologize in advance if we have threads on this subject, but for whatever reason I'm not locating them properly through the search feature. Perhaps I'm not using the correct search terms.

So is replacing rear shocks as simple as, jacking up the rear on jack stands.

Then placing jack under the rear control arm, of the shock that I am going to replace.

Loosen the bolt and nut of the shock eye first. Then loosen the top nut of the shock in the trunk area.

Remove shock and insert new shock and start with tightening the shock eye bolt and nut?

Also anyone have the torque values that I need to tighten to spec?

Lastly, I suspect that this job can't be done without an impact wrench???

Was hoping a breaker bar and torque wrench would suffice.

Thanks in advance for all replies. Just looking for the finer details that tend to be overlooked by the average driveway mechanic. :thumbsup:

starnsey

Established Member
No need for an impact wrench. I completely stripped, re-assembled, and installed an IRS with the FTBR kit without an impact wrench. Rear shocks will be no problem at all.

Jefe

Established Member
Just put B8 Bilsteins on mine in about 15 mins. Air or impact drill with a swivel socket makes it much faster. Rear on jack stands, floor jack the LCA up about 1" to relieve lower bolt pressure and remove lower bolt. Trunk carpet out and side liners out. Vice grips for the top of upper shaft and a ratcheting/regular wrench for the upper nut. Start to loosen it and let the vice grips hit the body so you don't have to continually hold them. With the nut off the shock will stay in place. Pull them out from the wheel well. Make sure they come with new upper bushings and cups. Flat side of the bushings are at the top and bottom. The neck of the bushings are squashed together. Youll need someone or something to hold the new one in place so you can start the upper nut. The shock housing spins freely from upper shaft and nut so dont worry about the LCA eyelet orientation

Lower is 98ft lbs, upper is 30ft lbs. The upper rod spins so make note of how many threads there were before removing the nut or just compress the rubber but don't flatten it

Last edited:
You guys are the best.

Much love to all you guys and all the pointers you guys provided in the thread. I feel much more confident now handling this.

Users who are viewing this thread