Rear Spring removal

BYEPOLR

Established Member
I know this has been covered but what is the consensus on the easiest way to remove the IRS springs? How much time should I set aside to swap springs and is it something that requires an extra set of hands or can I do it myself with relative ease?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I pull the rear cradle bolts and let it pivot down. You might need to loosen the front bolts to let it drop. Depending on which springs you have you might need to unbolt the exhaust mounts by the bumper and remove the calibers. When I pulled my H&R's I left the calipers in place. There was enough slack in the brake lines.

As for time, maybe a couple hours. It always comes apart easy. Putting it together is another story.

BYEPOLR

Established Member
I pull the rear cradle bolts and let it pivot down. You might need to loosen the front bolts to let it drop. Depending on which springs you have you might need to unbolt the exhaust mounts by the bumper and remove the calibers. When I pulled my H&R's I left the calipers in place. There was enough slack in the brake lines.

As for time, maybe a couple hours. It always comes apart easy. Putting it together is another story.
since the springs are linear I'm just cutting the stockers. There's really no advantage gained by going aftermarket. So I'm assuming I'll need to at least unbolt the shock at the a arm and the brake line bracket on the body along with the front IRS subframe bolts? O'm obviously putting stands under the subframes. Do I need jacks under both sides and drop them down slowly at the same time or a different way?
Make sure the springs sit in the perches when putting it back together.
thank you sir

01yellercobra

Established Member
Definitely on the shock bolt. I don't remember on the brake line bracket. You could always start to drop it and see if you need more slack. Just loosen the front cradle bolts. Don't remove them. Use them as a pivot point

I put the jack on one if the rear control arm mounts. Everything will drop together.

BYEPOLR

Established Member
Ended up doing this today and it really couldn’t have been easier as far as getting the IRS dropped enough for the springs to fall right out. Literally took 30 minutes to get them out, cut and back in. Interestingly enough I cut the exact same amount off both springs and the passenger side sat a full 1/2” higher (yes the springs were seated properly with the pigtail in the same spot on both sides). Had to cut an extra inch off the passenger spring to get a perfect match. Even after essentially doing it twice it was a breeze. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread