Rear Upper Control Arm Issue

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Going to try and fix my upper mounts this weekend. They are oblobged and a 12mm now wobbles.

I guess my options are one of two things.

Find and exhaust or body shop that will Weld in washers, and continue using my adjustables.

Or

Take a dremal and open the hole up to 14mm.

A 14mm bolt can be made to fit my repop stock style uppers I have laying around.

Thoughts?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Going to try and fix my upper mounts this weekend. They are oblobged and a 12mm now wobbles.

I guess my options are one of two things.

Find and exhaust or body shop that will Weld in washers, and continue using my adjustables.

Or

Take a dremal and open the hole up to 14mm.

A 14mm bolt can be made to fit my repop stock style uppers I have laying around.

Thoughts?
No body?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly, if you're beating up the mounts that bad you might want to consider some kind of reinforcement kit instead of trying to do what could be considered a quick fix. Just my opinion of course.

Mustang Torque Box Reinforcement Kit - Upper & Lower (79-04)

Waste of time and money and it's not going to fix my failure point.

Ideally this is what I need.... But who do I get to install it? Local body shop?

Screenshot_20190316-150200__01.jpeg

97snakebite

Established Member

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Waste of time and money and it's not going to fix my failure point.

Ideally this is what I need.... But who do I get to install it? Local body shop?

View attachment 1558959

The torque box reinforcements are definitely not "a waste of time and money" on a mustang. Unless you like ripping the mounts or floor.
Are you still using urethane bushings on the control arms? Sometimes when those start to go bad it leads to your issue. High torque cars like ours can lead to your issue as well. I do like the idea of welding on a washer, but whoever does it needs to have it in the correct place and you could run into issues of the bolt not being long enough anymore if the washer is too thick.
Do you have a go-pro? You could mount it near the control arm and mark around the head of the bolt to see if it is moving around under hard acceleration.

Users who are viewing this thread