Rear view mirror rattle - FIXED!

delawhere 23

Established Member
Couldn't find much on the internet about fixing the rattle in the rear view mirror. Some suggested going to dealer and having fixed under warranty, but did not work for all. I think I found the solution. My mirror was rattling bad on the highway and while listening to a lot of bass (small subwoofer in trunk). I can see the subwoofer making it rattle, but normal cruising on the highway... unacceptable. Narrowed the rattle down to where it is mounted on the windshield and not the ball joint.

I used some simple rubber O-rings that I had on hand and pushed them in between the mirror housing and windshield glass. See pics below.

Tools used:

IMG_0928.JPG

Placement of rubber O-rings:
Bottom
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

After o-ring trimmed
Bottom
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

Can't even tell anything is there...
IMG_0926.JPG

Hope this can help out some folks.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Yeah, I've been to 2 dealers and neither of them will fix the mirror under warranty since the mirror still technically functions.

But the fact I can tap my foot on the floor of my car and rattle the mirror is BS.

Would love to see pics too. I know my mirror is actually rattling where the mirror glass attaches to the body of the mirror.

nordy racer

Established Member
I replaced mine with a cheap flip mirror. i never use the voice sync nor the compass so this was the easiest way.

corruptor

Established Member
I fixed the rattle by cutting a piece of electrical tape the same length as the mirror, then folding it in half so that the sticky part is covered. Then I wedged the tape in between where the mirror meets the headliner on the side facing the windshield.

BadHabit2Break

Established Member
Couldn't find much on the internet about fixing the rattle in the rear view mirror. Some suggested going to dealer and having fixed under warranty, but did not work for all. I think I found the solution. My mirror was rattling bad on the highway and while listening to a lot of bass (small subwoofer in trunk). I can see the subwoofer making it rattle, but normal cruising on the highway... unacceptable. Narrowed the rattle down to where it is mounted on the windshield and not the ball joint.

I used some simple rubber O-rings that I had on hand and pushed them in between the mirror housing and windshield glass. See pics below.

Tools used:

picture.php

Bottom
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

After o-ring trimmed
Bottom
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hope this can help out some folks.

Looks like you are trying to use IMG tags on a weblink to a G8Board.

Example....
http://www.g8board.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=3985&pictureid=25905

greenscobie86

Established Member
Awesome thanks for posting. Mine does it too. So annoying on a brand new car. Looks like you found the fix!

OfficerJurbala

This worked great!

IMG_0928.JPG

Bottom
IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0920.JPG

IMG_0921.JPG

After o-ring trimmed
Bottom
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG

I've got a 2013 GT with 5k on it and my rearview mirrow was rattling randomly going over certain bumps in the road/highway and during some music (Super Annoying sound). I wasn't sure if it was the plastic mirror itself (since it is two pieces that you can pinch and hear the flex) and or the actual mounting area of the mirror at the windshield. After doing some driving I thought that your method was worth a try. I picked up some O-rings from Lowes cut them and then used a small screwdriver to wedge them in as you did. FIXED THE RATTLE right away. Thanks so much for post and great pics :rolling:. I hope Ford fixes this on the 2015.

golobulus

OP, thank you for posting this. I have the same issue in my 2012 GT and it has been driving me crazy! I'm going to give this a try using the same size O-ring. Thanks for the pictures.

707rwhp

Established Member
I have this same issue. Thank God I found this post. trying it out tonight & hope it is dry outside tomorrow for a test drive. Thanks OP.

Users who are viewing this thread