• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Rear wheel recommendations for 700+hp

Discussion in 'Suspension Modifications' started by svtcobrar2004, Jul 9, 2019.

1. biminiLX

biminiLX never stock Established Member

The key is sidewall!
    My 315/50/17s are 29.6” roughly.
    The 315/35/17 is tough to hook with less than 26” height.
    ET Street® R
    If you can fit the 305/45/17 at 28” and just want straight line hook and highway pulls, this is the tire for max traction.
    -J

2. Andrew03SVT

Andrew03SVT Member Established Member

Comp orange

And Toyo tqs i love them. And I make over 720 ft lbs and 800 rwhp. But I do need to be in 3rd gear lol

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

94 Cobra R and svtcobrar2004 like this.
  3. svtcobrar2004

svtcobrar2004 Member Established Member

Thanks for the help! But I'm trying to find which I can catch better traction on. A drag rim? since they have more sidewall or will a 17x10.5 rim with the same drag tire.

4. TexaSTI

TexaSTI New Member Established Member

Think we could fit a 315/50/17 on the 03 04 cobra body style? With IRS?

5. apex svt

apex svt MEAN STREAK Established Member

M&H racemaster is the best drag radial I’ve ran. They only come in a 28” so that may or may not be an issue to you.
    I currently have M/T ss great tire, but not quite as good. M/t is also a 28 so it’s apples to apples.

Wings65288 likes this.
  6. blownstang4.6

blownstang4.6 Active Member Established Member

I also have Toyo TQ drag radials. Drove the car for the first time on the highway in a rain down pour a few weeks ago. They did amazing going 60-65mph. Never lost traction. From a 35mph roll they usually dead hook when it's warm out, but I'm only at 509rwhp with a stalled auto.

7. TerminatoRS

TerminatoRS Member Established Member

If your only concern is dry, straight line traction, M/T's or Hoosier's like most have recommended. And BiminiLX is absolutely right about how important sidewall is. I found that out going from 315/30/18 R888's to 315/35/18 TQ's. Difference was night and day AND I had even added 100+rwhp. Seems minimal, but you want some flex if you're only going straight.
    Regarding the TQ's...I chose them as a compromise. I'm willing to sacrifice first gear traction at more than half throttle and I'll even spin a tad at the bottom of second at WOT in exchange for not breaking something. lol I don't track the car so I'm not concerned with each hundredth of a second I could have saved had I hooked perfectly. Unlike some other folks, I'm not at all impressed with them in any kind of actual rainfall, but I accept it as the trade-off with this flavor of tire so I avoid the whole situation when I can.

Wings65288 likes this.
  8. svtcobrar2004

svtcobrar2004 Member Established Member

Thanks for that answer man, I do want to keep a "stock" appearance. Gonna try out the a tire size that 315/35 tire size.