Rebuiding the 4.6 DOHC

cartec

I don’t want to be on this site anymore
Established Member
The 99 Cobra I have will eventually need a rebuild on the engine .... it’s at 197,k right now.

Has anyone used these folks or have another recommendation?

Rebuilt Ford 4.6 Engines For Sale

It needs to pass California smog too. It currently has a full Magnaflow system with Cats that has the CARB and EO number on it to make it legal; It passed the last smog check with flying colors. Adding a head cooling kit seems to be a good idea at rebuild time too.

It would be nice to get some more power at the same time for a car that has had h and r race springs, all the bushings upgrade to Prothane and a 3650 transmission installed. Adding a head cooling kit seems to be a good idea at rebuild time too.

The cheapest way seems to be to add a nitrous oxide system for a 75 HP bump.

Although the wine of an Eaton Supercharger does have a strong appeal, costs can be quite high.

Any advice?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Anything you order from a place like that will just be a stock replacement. If you have plans of supercharging or nitrous then have your current engine rebuilt with better parts. The smog shop doesn't know what internals the engine has. Just stick with stock cams.

I'm surprised you found a legal mid pipe for these cars. Last time I looked the only legal pipe was the stock one.

K&DSVT

Established Member
Have you checked with a local machine shop to see what it might cost to have yours rebuilt? Another point is, it doesn't list in the description what the engine is out of, which could mean it came out of some Lincoln product which doesn't have a forged steel crank. Cams could be different also. I have a engine machine shop and have had to rebuild some remanufactured engines from some of these different companies and some of the stuff I have seen is insane, remember their biggest concern is profit, especially Jasper.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It would have to be a forged crank at the very least. Otherwise the 8 bolt flywheel wouldn't work. But I'm also for rebuilding what you have. I'd do a leak down and compression check before even beginning to worry about a rebuild.

K&DSVT

Established Member
That is incorrect slo984 Windsor motors have 8 bolt cranks which are cast. They can be found in Lincoln’s, trucks and 99 and 00 GT mustangs with Sohc motors.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The 99 Cobra I have will eventually need a rebuild on the engine .... it’s at 197,k right now.

Has anyone used these folks or have another recommendation?

Rebuilt Ford 4.6 Engines For Sale

It needs to pass California smog too. It currently has a full Magnaflow system with Cats that has the CARB and EO number on it to make it legal; It passed the last smog check with flying colors. Adding a head cooling kit seems to be a good idea at rebuild time too.

It would be nice to get some more power at the same time for a car that has had h and r race springs, all the bushings upgrade to Prothane and a 3650 transmission installed. Adding a head cooling kit seems to be a good idea at rebuild time too.

The cheapest way seems to be to add a nitrous oxide system for a 75 HP bump.

Although the wine of an Eaton Supercharger does have a strong appeal, costs can be quite high.

Any advice?

Stock rebuild, and what is wrong with your 197k engine? If nothing is wrong with it just keep running it, 4.6L engines can go 300-400k with routine maintenance. My tuner has a 265k mile Mach 1 he's owned since new in 2003 and he is not easy on it...

Anything you order from a place like that will just be a stock replacement. If you have plans of supercharging or nitrous then have your current engine rebuilt with better parts. The smog shop doesn't know what internals the engine has. Just stick with stock cams.

I'm surprised you found a legal mid pipe for these cars. Last time I looked the only legal pipe was the stock one.

Smog place won't care about the cams unless the car is OBVIOUSLY cammed like it sounds cammed. Magnaflow makes 50 state legal pipes, I think flowmaster does too. They are like $1200+ tho... I'd just go get an original used one from CL and swap it in for emissions days.

Have you checked with a local machine shop to see what it might cost to have yours rebuilt? Another point is, it doesn't list in the description what the engine is out of, which could mean it came out of some Lincoln product which doesn't have a forged steel crank. Cams could be different also. I have a engine machine shop and have had to rebuild some remanufactured engines from some of these different companies and some of the stuff I have seen is insane, remember their biggest concern is profit, especially Jasper.

This x1000. And if someone buys an engine from Jasper then consider that a life lesson when it lets go...

It would have to be a forged crank at the very least. Otherwise the 8 bolt flywheel wouldn't work. But I'm also for rebuilding what you have. I'd do a leak down and compression check before even beginning to worry about a rebuild.

Lots of 8 bolt cast cranks out there, and cast crank is plenty strong. Get them for free or under $100 most of the time. Lighter than forged and unless you are shooting for 700+ no need to worry. Even then... Plus, unless you have some flywheel with a replaceable insert you'll be getting a whole new flywheel anyway when you redo everything, just get the flywheel that matches the crank. Or stick with the forged unit if you already have one and get a new 8 bolt flywheel... Super popular cheap/reliable/strong combo that'll be more than fine for 95% of street cars is a cast OEM crank, OEM Boss/15+ rods for $200 new, and your choice of $550 entry level forged pistons.

That is incorrect slo984 Windsor motors have 8 bolt cranks which are cast. They can be found in Lincoln’s, trucks and 99 and 00 GT mustangs with Sohc motors.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

And early 01s :) But every Mark VIII or Continental or Aviator engine I've taken apart has had the 6 bolt cast jobbers. Not aware of any Lincolns that ever cam with 8 bolt cranks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread