Rebuild or Buy New T-56 Magnum

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
My transmission has been on borrowed time for a while now at the power level and mileage my Cobra is at and after beating on it last weekend, I’ve got tranny fluid on the garage floor. I think it’s an input shaft seal gone bad, but at any rate it’s time for some work. The question is, should I just use the stock core and rebuild it or buy a new T-56 Magnum? Current flywheel torque is slightly north of 700 ftlbs.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There have been a few threads addressing this question. The short answer is either can work. If you have a GOOD repair shop who can rebuild it to the proper specs to handle your torque level, and the price is decent, that might be a good choice. Otherwise, or if you'd prefer to take advantage of the better shifting mechanics of the Magnum, the Magnum would be the better choice. I would bet the majority who were in the same position went the Magnum route. You could also sell your T-56 to reduce the cost of the Magnum a bit. Just some food for thought.

cj428mach

Established Member
Go magnum. The gears are 15% wider, so it can carry more load. Nothing you do to the t56 can match that and after knocking all the teeth off 3rd gear on a pull I decided why rebuild the t56 when it can just happen again.

That was with a 2.3 TV's 22psi on e85

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Just do the magnum. It’s butter smooth. I wish I did it two rebuilds ago.

Users who are viewing this thread